Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Questions on Velocity Platinum Status benefits

Old May 13, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin AU Platinum, United Gold, Hilton Diamond

Hi all,

I am about to be given Velocity Platinum Status from VA as part of a status match (to my Qantas status).

When reading through the status Benefits for Velocity - just have a few detail questions that maybe one of you is able to answer?

UpgradeMe Platinum Member offer: 4 complimentary upgrades on Domestic, Trans Tasman and International Short Haul flights.
Does this really mean international short flights, e.g. not valid for flights to US or Europe? (I would consider those as long haul flights). And if so, anyone knows the distance/flight time until when it is a short haul flight?
And if so, US flights could only get upgraded with points?

Fly ahead: Means I can switch to an earlier flight. Will it incur any charges? E.g. if the earlier flight would be sold at a higher price?

Then, once I get the 800SC to retain Platinum Status, will this immediately kick in as renewal or once the initial Status period has ended?
E.g. if I get 800SC in September, will it then be 12 months from September, or 12 months from May 2018 (as I will get Platinum this month)?

Lastly, looks like Virgin Status has no similar thing like Oneworld Emerald to get access to First Class lounges, is that correct? And no lifetime status as Qantas would offer?

Thanks all in advance

Cheers

Last edited by Hellboy666; May 13, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Old May 13, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by Hellboy666
Hi all,

I am about to be given Velocity Platinum Status from VA as part of a status match (to my Qantas status).

Congrats

When reading through the status Benefits for Velocity - just have a few detail questions that maybe one of you is able to answer?

UpgradeMe Platinum Member offer: 4 complimentary upgrades on Domestic, Trans Tasman and International Short Haul flights.
Does this really mean international short flights, e.g. not valid for flights to US or Europe? (I would consider those as long haul flights). And if so, anyone knows the distance/flight time until when it is a short haul flight?
And if so, US flights could only get upgraded with points?

Correct, you can upgrade all Domestic and flights to NZ, Fiji, Bali, PNG. To check to see if you can you can upgrade do a search for Business Saver awards. If one is available then you can use the Comp one. You have to be on a Freedom fare though. And VA metal only.
Points are needed on upgrades to US and Hong Kong.

Fly ahead: Means I can switch to an earlier flight. Will it incur any charges? E.g. if the earlier flight would be sold at a higher price?
There are no extra charges BUT you have to have booked an Elevate, Freedom or Business fare. You cannot change if you have booked a Getaway (although I had a nice lounge agent do it for me a month or so ago).

Then, once I get the 800SC to retain Platinum Status, will this immediatelykick in as renewal or once the initial Status period has ended?
E.g. if I get 800SC in September, will it then be 12 months from September, or 12 months from May 2018 (as I will get Platinum this month)?

For renewal, it will stay the same (it is different if you are moving between the tiers). On your account it will say "acheived" and the SCs will continue to accrue until you your renewal date then when your date hits it will revert to 0. It us a bit of a bone of contention here on FT, those SCs between acheiving and renewing are just simply lost.

Lastly, looks like Virgin Status has no similar thing like Oneworld Emerald to get access to First Class lounges, is that correct? And no lifetime status as Qantas would offer?

There is status above Platinum but that is invitation only.
No there is no lifetime miles, AFAIK.

Thanks all in advance

Cheers
I am on mobile so can't do the snippy thing but hopefully you can understand my ramblings.

If not I am sure serfty will be along soon to clarify. ^

Cheers

FF

Last edited by FlossieFlyer; May 13, 2017 at 5:21 pm Reason: Bold
Old May 13, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
If not I am sure serfty will be along soon to clarify. ^
Hah! Little need as you have pretty much covered it.

I can add a bit more in relation to partner airlines.

With Delta you get Skyclub access.

When traveling EY, a WP gets access to the First lounge at AUH.

When traveling NZ out of LAX, a WP gets access to the *A first area.

SQ treat you somewhat as a *G.

There's a good list here (expand 'TRAVEL BENEFITS: International Airline Partners'):

Last edited by serfty; May 13, 2017 at 5:51 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin AU Platinum, United Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks both for the helpful information. I found the Platinum Benefits and Terms and Conditions on Velocity page that already answered a lot, just not the few question I had posted here.
VA / Velocity has a lot of benefits, and especially those complimentary upgrades is pretty good. The OneWorld Emerald has its advantages too, and AA so far was cheaper then Delta. Well lets see what gets better in the end
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Can anyone share experience with getting partner gold once their status gets to 1300? I am at 1395 and havent been offered, tried calling today to check but they arent in until Monday now..
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You need to speak to a CSA to get this done. Monday it is ...
Old Feb 7, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
A couple of other benefits
- you can get a one-time status match to Hilton Diamond, that's probably the single best benefit of VA Plat
- If you call you're supposed to get the plat line, there's a good chance someone in Australia will answer. HUACA if you get the hopeless Manila call center
- you can select exit rows or the "economy X" extra-space Y seats for free
And a couple of issues:
- the upgrade certificates are of limited value - you have to pay double or triple the normal Y fare to get into the upgradeable fare class, "Freedom"
- In theory you can use VA points for awards on VA between Australia and the US, but there's little to no availability of biz awards. Even worse than eg Qantas or Delta.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by morepointsplease
Can anyone share experience with getting partner gold once their status gets to 1300? I am at 1395 and havent been offered, tried calling today to check but they arent in until Monday now..
Yes, but. You have to know about it before you can ask. Many don't know. Secondly it doesn't coincide with your membership renewal; I left off applying until I knew my significant other would be traveling and then applied. 12 months granted at that level from that date
serfty likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.