Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Cheapest and best way to maintain Gold Status

Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity and Qantas FF

Hi. I'm relatively new to this so here goes. I'm a gold member and want to retain my gold membership in the cheapest possible way. I need 310 Status Credits to retain at this stage. I have family pooling set up with my partner and son who is 14. I was thinking about going either to Darwin or Honolulu with them in April. However, it seems that unless I pay almost $5000, I am unlikely to earn enough status credits. So my question is to the gurus: How can I, for the cheapest amount possible, go on a great holiday with my partner and son, and earn 310 status credits and 4 sectors? I noted that if we go to Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines, is it true that I will only earn SC's for discount economy even though Hawaiian Air only has either economy or business from Sydney to Honolulu? Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by narayansmate
Hi. I'm relatively new to this so here goes. I'm a gold member and want to retain my gold membership in the cheapest possible way. I need 310 Status Credits to retain at this stage. I have family pooling set up with my partner and son who is 14. I was thinking about going either to Darwin or Honolulu with them in April. However, it seems that unless I pay almost $5000, I am unlikely to earn enough status credits. So my question is to the gurus: How can I, for the cheapest amount possible, go on a great holiday with my partner and son, and earn 310 status credits and 4 sectors? I noted that if we go to Hawaii on Hawaiian Airlines, is it true that I will only earn SC's for discount economy even though Hawaiian Air only has either economy or business from Sydney to Honolulu? Many thanks in advance.
Refer to the status credit earning tables to help to calculate the total number of status credits earned for routes of your choice:

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...StatusCredits/

To suggest actual routes we'd need to know where are you based.

(The cheapest solution is to get "pilot gold" through the Virgin Accelerate program once you slip down to Silver status - but for that one of you'd need to be a business owner and apply for a corporate account).

Why do you value Gold status? I ask because some benefits can be attained without flying to maintain your Gold - for example, lounges access comes with some American Express cards...paying the card annual fee could be significantly cheaper and you'd get a heap of bonus points for a successful card application.

In the meantime you can gather up a small number of status credits by shopping at Coles and linking your FlyBuys account to your Virgin Velocity account...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I don't know much about family pooling, but I am assuming it works on partner airlines as well?

If so, I find Singapore Airlines has the cheapest 'flexible' fares ex-Australia. It is 120 SC round-trip per person from MEL/SYD/BNE to Singapore, which would be enough to get you what you need. It won't get you the four sectors though, unless you fly a VA codeshare (which IME does not get you the flexible fare SC). You might be able to fly a VA codeshare yourself and have the family on SQ flexi-fares, which would still be enough if you flew to BKK via SIN for example.

The cheapest SC seem to be flying W fares in DL in the USA, or sometimes even F fares. But you would have to get to the USA first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.