Wiki Posts
Search

MEL to MXP using 200k Velocity Points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:19 am
Original Poster

MEL to MXP using 200k Velocity Points

Hi All,

I have around 200k of Velocity Points earned over time and I would like to take the family to Italy over xmas. I am finding it very difficult to find any reward flights around this time with Virgin or even Singapore Airlines (possibly transferring points to KF). Some say waitlist whilst others ask almost 1m points!

So i'm a little disappointed that such a packet of points wont get me anywhere, possibly not even an upgraded on a one way trip. I may need to bite the bullet and purchase normal fare with whoever is cheapest.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Redline260
Italy over xmas. I am finding it very difficult to find any reward flights around this time ...
Surely not. Rewards flights over the busiest time of the year are a doddle aren't they?

VA does recognise this (sort of) by guaranteeing for its Platinum members an annual family trip using points, but that's solely on their network. They can't guarantee it for any of their partners, such as SQ or Etihad. Snagging rewards seats for next Xmas pretty much means booking them shortly after last Xmas, not now.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Redline260
Hi All,

I have around 200k of Velocity Points earned over time and I would like to take the family to Italy over xmas. I am finding it very difficult to find any reward flights around this time with Virgin or even Singapore Airlines (possibly transferring points to KF). Some say waitlist whilst others ask almost 1m points!

So i'm a little disappointed that such a packet of points wont get me anywhere, possibly not even an upgraded on a one way trip. I may need to bite the bullet and purchase normal fare with whoever is cheapest.

Any thoughts appreciated.
One look at the points tables and enough for 1 economy return ticket and some loose change. I'm sorry, but 200,000 points isn't that much in the scheme of things.

When you say family, I'm assuming you want to purchase at least 3 tickets. That's just the way it is with the amount of points required.

You can't do international upgrades on VA unless you have Gold status or better and only then on VA flights.

Further, if you want to book for Xmas then you should have booked about 7 months ago in January when they first became available. There are only a few seats available on each flight (if any) and you need to be flexible.

Judging by your query, you maybe a little inexperienced in the points game. VA's scheme redemption scheme isn't bad actually. Try Qantas and be thankful that you wouldn't be stung half as badly by fuel surcharges...

You might want to try to redeem for Abu Dhabi and buy separate tickets from AUH to MXP and to be safe, do stopovers either way as you will not be protected on separate tickets. 2 economy return tickets to AUH will be 224,000 points. There's a booking surcharge too of $AUD50 per ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.