Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

No soft landing for Gold/Plat "Companion Memberships"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

The Velocity rules seem to say clearly that a comped Gold or Plat membership turns to dust after '12 months' if no flights taken. Indeed the wording below seem to say the comp does not even work according to the usual Anniversary date procedure that earned membership works on.

In those of course, there is a "soft landing" to next tier down, even if no flights taken. Plat to Gold to Silver to nothing etc.

We all know know that in PRACTICE things at Velocity sometimes work differently than the letter of the written rules, and I am sure some here have comped wives or kids to Gold/Plat in the past and be interested to learn of your past experiences.

Thanks in advance for any input.

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...memberbenefits

23.3.2 When a Platinum Member earns 500 Status Credits over and above the required number of Status Credits to maintain their Platinum Membership Level (800 Status Credits) within their Benefit Period (total 1,300 Status Credits), the Member is entitled to nominate a family member or friend who is a Member to a Gold level of Membership (Companion Gold Membership).

23.3.3 When a Platinum Member earns 1,000 Status Credits over and above the required number of Status Credits to maintain their Platinum Membership Level (800 Status Credits) within their Benefit Period (total 1,800 Status Credits), their nominated Companion Gold Member will automatically be upgraded to Platinum Membership (Companion Platinum Membership) within 7 days. If the Platinum Member hasn’t previously nominated a Companion Gold Member, then they are entitled to nominate a Companion Platinum Member.

23.3.4 A Platinum Member may nominate a Companion Gold Membership or a Companion Platinum Membership by calling the Membership Contact Centre at any time up until 12 months after the date the Platinum Member becomes entitled to redeem the Companion Gold Membership or Companion Platinum Membership.

23.3.5 When a Member is upgraded to Companion Gold Membership or Companion Platinum Membership:

(a) the nominated companion Member will be notified by email of the upgrade; and

(b) the Platinum Member is unable to change the nominated companion Member, including when the Companion Gold Member is upgraded to Companion Platinum Membership, except when the nominated companion's Membership is closed due to extenuating circumstances, such as death.

23.3.6 A Companion Gold Membership or Companion Platinum Membership is valid for a period of 12 months from the date of the upgrade to Companion Gold Membership or Companion Platinum Membership. At the conclusion of the 12 month period, if the companion Member has not been nominated for Companion Gold Membership or Companion Platinum Membership for a further 12 months, their Membership Level will be assessed on their achievement of the required number of Status Credits and Eligible Sectors flown in accordance with clause 21.1.4.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: VA Platinum, UA Gold, Qantas Silver
I comped my wife to Platinum a couple of years ago. All her subsequent SC's and points were pooled to myself so her balance remained at a steady zero. Over the follwoing years she soft landed to Gold then sadly to Silver. For various reasons I've struggled to retain Gold recently, even with the pooled credits, but should step up again shortly and will work towards getting her back up again.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:41 pm

Definitely soft landing
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Yet another written 'rule' that is not adhered to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.