Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Is the bid for business class worth it?

Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM

We are flying SYD to Ayers Rock next week. We're in coach "with extra leg room" in row 14. We received an email suggesting we "bid" for upgrade to business for about $AU 500 each.
That seems pricey, but I don't know what kind of plane it is: the web site says 73H. It would be tempting to use the lounge after our long flight from SFO, which arrives at about 6:30am. Flight to Ayers Rock leaves at 10:30am .

Anyone know if this is a good deal for a three hour flight? Will the offer change as it gets closer to departure?
Thanks
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
The plane will be a 737, Ive done SYD>Ayers Rock in Y and it was fine but we did have a spare seat between us. We now fly J, because we can

You can buy single day access to the lounge in Sydney to shower and rest after your flight. I think its $65AUDpp

I think $500 each is rough for this flight - would buying a comfort seat in economy be a better option so you can at least have the row to yourself?

Meal wise, I think in Y you get a drink and snack, depending on the time a snack could be anything from a cookie to a wrap. In J you will get a better meal.

Have you checked expert flyer, is the flight full?

Edit: BTW. When are you flying? Join and join-in the Aust FF forum as there is a lounge meet up thread. If you are a regular, someone might guest you in. Im guesting someone in next month.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Just buy lounge passes at 65AUD a pop, keep the exit row and go to MoVida to eat after you've showered. Buy a decent takeaway meal at one of the many reasonable outlets at Terminal 2 to take on board. Coffee is better in the terminal as well (try Toby's Estate or Brasserie Bread).

You'll have $800 leftover and all you'll sacrifice is a bit of width as legroom is the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.