Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Moving to Australia/VA as Delta Diamond

Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Show me the points!

Hello All,

I am transferring with my job and will find myself in Sydney for the next 3 or so years. As a Delta Diamond I figure my best bet is to switch to VA instead of Qanatas and credit my travels to my DL SM account. Thoughts on that?

Also, should I expect to receive benefits from my DL status level when flying on VA?

Thanks!
Jody
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:21 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by nichojo
Hello All,

I am transferring with my job and will find myself in Sydney for the next 3 or so years. As a Delta Diamond I figure my best bet is to switch to VA instead of Qanatas and credit my travels to my DL SM account. Thoughts on that?

Also, should I expect to receive benefits from my DL status level when flying on VA?

Thanks!
Jody
You should get lounge access, priority boarding and extra baggage.

You won't get upgrades, as even VA top tier frequent flyers have to burn VA points for them.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Given it's a three year thing, your best best is to credit VA flights to DL.

Other than that, it's basically as indicated by DCF.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above, for only 3 years credit VA flights to DL and QF flights to AA.

You will not get free upgrades like is common in USA. Freq flyer programs of USA based airlines and non USA based airlines operate very differently
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...hort-haul.html

USA based airline ffp's tend to be more generous (status benefits/earn/burn/upgrades/award cost/award cash surcharges/expiry/affiliated credit card ff mile earning/promotions) compared to non USA based airline ffp’s (even after the recently announced changes to some USA ffp’s). But if you are not flying the airline of your ffp the useful benefits can be somewhat limited. Status helps with partner airlines.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 1, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:00 pm

You may stay

I did the same as you in 2013 so bear in mind a couple of points:

Australia is really hard to leave so you may end up here longer than you expect.

It's really easy to rack up points with both QF and VA outside of just flying. So here was my strategy when I came over:

Sign up for both QF and VA programmes, when flying credit to those programmes. Use my delta card to get me into the VA lounge, just wave it at the entrance. I also status matched to Air Berlin which got me into the Qantas lounge when travelling with them (and extended my access to the virgin lounge when my delta status lapsed). I've since built up status with Qantas, but not with virgin, since my company tends to favour Qantas.

Even as a temporary migrant, credit cards are easy to get as long as you have a contract and a Paycheck. Signup bonuses are quite generous. AMEX currently have a 100,000 point signup bonus for their velocity platinum card. Good card if you can stomach the annual fee, although you get a couple of free virgin flights.

For Qantas, every bank has a Qantas points earning card, just pick the best offer at the time of application.

As for what to do with miles. Transpacific redemptions can be hard, but redemptions to Asia can be easy.

Virgin miles transfer to Singapore and that signup bonus is enough for approx 1.5 business class singles to a lot of places in Asia.

For Qantas Cathay and flights beyond Hong Kong are the easiest to get, although the JAL Sydney flight has good opportunities in summer when they upgrade the flight to a 77W.

If you have lots of delta miles then the real sweetspot of the programme is business class flights from Australia to Asia. So many airlines to redeem on (Korean, China Airlines, China Eastern, Xiamen, China Southern, Vietnam and Garuda). Really easy to get tickets to a tropical paradise or awesome city; 65,000 each way and great availability.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldfolky
I did the same as you in 2013 so bear in mind a couple of points:

Australia is really hard to leave so you may end up here longer than you expect.

It's really easy to rack up points with both QF and VA outside of just flying. So here was my strategy when I came over:
<snip>
Good advice here.
Some people who come for a year are still (legally) in Aussie a decade longer. Are you coming on a 457 visa?

But if only 3 year DL/AA miles may be better value long term. For long haul awards AA miles are more valuable than QF points (and QF has cash surcharges)
Even if a VA(DL) flyer you will probably ending up flying QF some time.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I will indeed be on a 457 so this is 3-4 year deal and I do not expect to go local - crazier things have happened though.

My biggest concern is post 2017 when my Delta status likely expires. I just see it being a challenge to maintain it even when VA allows me to earn MQMs/MQDs on DL.

I do need to do some soul searching and think about whether or not I want to go with QF or VA if I do decide to switch things up. I want to travel here and there, likely to SE Asia (Thailand and HKG) so maybe the mix of Skymiles that I have and potential QF miles can make that happen.

Decisions decisions.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Also depends if you're flying J or Y.

If you're flying SYD/MEL-PER in J. You get 20,000 points each way as a platinum (vs. 5800 as a platinum on QF).

If you're flying short haul in the SYD/MEL/BNE triangle, you may pick a carrier with better flight schedule / frequency...
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Same issue here

Hi there,
12 months ago We moved to Melbourne area. DL Diamond for 3 more years, and made AA exec platinum in a few months traveling internationally Qantas, Qatar, Emirates, Cathay in business, and paying AA around 1,000 for missing 4 AA flights.

I have been using delta for VA and AA for qantas flights. Both get lounge, better seats, and security benefits. Unfortunately as all domestic travel is ec, only getting 0.5 delta/ aa miles and status miles and never upgrades.

As recommended I got the VA platinum card with 100 k bonus points for 350 AUD a year, triple points at restaurants and other great earnings.
Very useful for domestic upgrades with miles, especially to Perth.

We are seriously considering staying 5 years to have daughter finish high school, and we do like it.
I am in the process of figuring out status match to VA, and then switching all domestic VA flights, enough VA international to keep platinum, as well as Etihad business to Europe
Mileage for domestic flights is much more generous, and the family pooling sounds like great benefit.
The new business class VA cabin to LA beats old DL 40/41 by miles too.

Btw.,
- if you prove to delta new location, there is no more need for MQD, took 2 calls to diamond desk.
- we keep using US credit cards for best fx rate, especially DL reserve for 30k MQM per year

------------------------////-//

I will indeed be on a 457 so this is 3-4 year deal and I do not expect to go local - crazier things have happened though.

My biggest concern is post 2017 when my Delta status likely expires. I just see it being a challenge to maintain it even when VA allows me to earn MQMs/MQDs on DL.

I do need to do some soul searching and think about whether or not I want to go with QF or VA if I do decide to switch things up. I want to travel here and there, likely to SE Asia (Thailand and HKG) so maybe the mix of Skymiles that I have and potential QF miles can make that happen.

Decisions decisions.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jmr007
Hi there,
12 months ago We moved to Melbourne area. DL Diamond for 3 more years, and made AA exec platinum in a few months traveling internationally Qantas, Qatar, Emirates, Cathay in business, and paying AA around 1,000 for missing 4 AA flights.

I have been using delta for VA and AA for qantas flights. Both get lounge, better seats, and security benefits. Unfortunately as all domestic travel is ec, only getting 0.5 delta/ aa miles and status miles and never upgrades.

As recommended I got the VA platinum card with 100 k bonus points for 350 AUD a year, triple points at restaurants and other great earnings.
Very useful for domestic upgrades with miles, especially to Perth.

We are seriously considering staying 5 years to have daughter finish high school, and we do like it.
I am in the process of figuring out status match to VA, and then switching all domestic VA flights, enough VA international to keep platinum, as well as Etihad business to Europe
Mileage for domestic flights is much more generous, and the family pooling sounds like great benefit.
The new business class VA cabin to LA beats old DL 40/41 by miles too.

Btw.,
- if you prove to delta new location, there is no more need for MQD, took 2 calls to diamond desk.
- we keep using US credit cards for best fx rate, especially DL reserve for 30k MQM per year

------------------------////-//

Decisions decisions.
[/QUOTE]

Great info, thanks to everyone!

What is the process for getting a status match to VA? I'm tempted to go straight to that if I can then start crediting to them instead of DL.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Status match? You can ask.

Other than that, look at "Pilot Gold" ... It a program Velocity have in the vein of a "challenge", but does grant SG from the start.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I just completed my first year here. Arrived as a DL Diamond, now DL Platinum and a VA Gold.

My advice: Go for VA status if you think you can achieve at least Gold. Why?

- VA has great partners in the Pacific, particularly Air New Zealand, Singapore and Etihad. If you want to go to Asia or Europe from Australia, you'll find Delta does almost nothing for you unless you connect in China, which I've never done but I know SIN is far, far better.
- VA points can be gathered in many other ways, and being able to transfer them to Krisflyer (Singapore) is another flexibility. You also can get VA points at BP and other outlets in Australia, and also through AMEX (my referral link for 100k bonus if you want to use it, disclaimer I get 20k bonus points: http://amexrefer.com.au/VPV1/i760ebi )
- VA points are easier to use out of Australia for the same reason. While you can use DL points for VA flights, VA has many more partners that you'll find useful in Australia
- VA Gold is easier to achieve than DL Gold while flying in Australia. Particularly if you fly flex fares occasionally. And even if you make DL Platinum, it only gives you the same benefits as VA Gold. DL Diamond gives you the equivalent of VA Platinum on your boarding pass, but not much else.
- VA Gold status is good for many more international lounge access options in the region than Delta status. If you fly internationally on VA, you get into the excellent Air New Zealand lounges with VA status, but nothing with DL status (unless in J). Similarly, you can access lounges flying the VA partners where DL status gets you nothing.
- DL Skymiles are getting harder to use, and especially if you already have a few banked (and as a Diamond you probably do), it is best to diversify.

I know starting over is hard, but it isn't too bad for you... Here is what I did and it worked well
- Use your DL number on the VA reservations. You'll get great seats and you can check bags and use the priority check-in.
- In the VA lounge, change your number to the VA number. This gets you credit to VA but all your DL benefits.
- On the return your VA number will already be there. But you can just show your DL card on check-in to get priority check-in. Same with the lounge. I even once checked two overweight bags and just showed my DL card (it wasn't on the reservation). No issues.

So you can achieve VA Gold while getting all your DL benefits, if you can cop a little bit of hassle. And you will have many more flight options with status once you get some VA status (which is easier to achieve than DL status...)
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I just completed my first year here. Arrived as a DL Diamond, now DL Platinum and a VA Gold.

My advice: Go for VA status if you think you can achieve at least Gold. Why?

- VA has great partners in the Pacific, particularly Air New Zealand, Singapore and Etihad. If you want to go to Asia or Europe from Australia, you'll find Delta does almost nothing for you unless you connect in China, which I've never done but I know SIN is far, far better.
- VA points can be gathered in many other ways, and being able to transfer them to Krisflyer (Singapore) is another flexibility. You also can get VA points at BP and other outlets in Australia, and also through AMEX (my referral link for 100k bonus if you want to use it, disclaimer I get 20k bonus points: http://amexrefer.com.au/VPV1/i760ebi )
- VA points are easier to use out of Australia for the same reason. While you can use DL points for VA flights, VA has many more partners that you'll find useful in Australia
- VA Gold is easier to achieve than DL Gold while flying in Australia. Particularly if you fly flex fares occasionally. And even if you make DL Platinum, it only gives you the same benefits as VA Gold. DL Diamond gives you the equivalent of VA Platinum on your boarding pass, but not much else.
- VA Gold status is good for many more international lounge access options in the region than Delta status. If you fly internationally on VA, you get into the excellent Air New Zealand lounges with VA status, but nothing with DL status (unless in J). Similarly, you can access lounges flying the VA partners where DL status gets you nothing.
- DL Skymiles are getting harder to use, and especially if you already have a few banked (and as a Diamond you probably do), it is best to diversify.

I know starting over is hard, but it isn't too bad for you... Here is what I did and it worked well
- Use your DL number on the VA reservations. You'll get great seats and you can check bags and use the priority check-in.
- In the VA lounge, change your number to the VA number. This gets you credit to VA but all your DL benefits.
- On the return your VA number will already be there. But you can just show your DL card on check-in to get priority check-in. Same with the lounge. I even once checked two overweight bags and just showed my DL card (it wasn't on the reservation). No issues.

So you can achieve VA Gold while getting all your DL benefits, if you can cop a little bit of hassle. And you will have many more flight options with status once you get some VA status (which is easier to achieve than DL status...)
Holy moly that swap FF# in lounge idea is AMAZING! Thank you!

Edit: I'm flying ATL-LAX-SYD and back here in the next week and now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and sign up for Velocity and credit those flights over. It's all on DL metal though.

Last edited by nichojo; Jul 25, 2016 at 11:29 am
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nichojo
Holy moly that swap FF# in lounge idea is AMAZING! Thank you!

Edit: I'm flying ATL-LAX-SYD and back here in the next week and now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and sign up for Velocity and credit those flights over. It's all on DL metal though.
If in coach, check your booking classes/fare buckets...

... in fact check them anyway.

Here's the miles that can be earned on DL Flight numbers:

http://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com...ntsEarn/#delta

Status Credits (SC's) are how you earn status - 250 for Silver, 600 for Gold and 1000 for Platinum. Also, you need 2, 4 or 8 VA flights (earning).

They are earned based on booking classifications and distance zones.

See here:

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...StatusCredits/

e.g. LAX-SYD is 7488 miles.

In discount economy on DL it earns 40 SC's and 3744 Velocity Points.

In Business on DL it earns from 160 SC's and between 9600 and nearly 15000 Velocity Points.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Definitely in coach and definitely on a discounted fare. Not worth it for the points but may be worth it for the credits, although the fact remains that I won't be able to hit anything by the end of this year so it's likely a waste if I switch at this point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.