Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Your entire A330 transcon gourmet "The Business" dinner choice tonight is CARROT SOUP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your entire A330 transcon gourmet "The Business" dinner choice tonight is CARROT SOUP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MEL-World
Sorry; I must have misread the title of the Thread. I thought it had to do with Carrot Soup.
I don't think serfty was disagreeing with your post so much as pointing out that in his view it was an FA service failing rather than a catering failing. Clearly the OP feels differently however!

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The VA website appears to note the different service levels offered http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...stic/#business
True - they have even posted a copy of that exact menu, so I think they're doing an OK job of managing expectations.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The VA website appears to note the different service levels offered http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...stic/#business
There was an option to have 'chicken' with the carrot soup - this information was not passed on to the OP.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty

There was an option to have 'chicken' with the carrot soup - this information was not passed on to the OP.
Sadly that is 100% correct.

No mention of that, or dessert etc. Very poor. As there was no menus, unless you are clairvoyant, no-one would know.

It is hardly a strenuous work day they had to be so slack. I asked the crew on way over or way back if that was their day and they said the 1 flight was it, but the FLIGHT DECK CREW flew back on the turnaround - strange.

Originally Posted by ozstamps

FA - “will you be joining us for Dinner this evening Mr Sxxxxxxxx”

ME – “Yes - I think so, as I have not eaten, and looking forward to the new options - what choices do we have tonight please - there appears to be no Menu here for some reason?”

FA – “Carrot Soup is our option tonight”

ME – “Urrggh. I do not like carrots, so I’ll skip that entree then - what are the main meal courses that you have?”

FA – “Carrot Soup - that’s ALL we have tonight for dinner actually”.

Me – “Soup??? What about the much touted in writing Luke Mangan A330 "Fabulous Three Course Gourmet Menu" etc?”

FA – “Sorry Carrot Soup is all we have loaded tonight. But we do have some potato crisps etc I can get you a pack of, if you like?”

ME – “Forget about it thanks – I may as well watch a movie, or get some sleep”.

Last edited by ozstamps; Mar 18, 2016 at 12:42 am
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: SQ TPP
This link clearly outlines the level of service on a VA overnight flight and seems reasonable for a 4 hour journey.

I guess the original post comes down to the point that the OP did not have a meal in the Lounge before departure, was not offered a menu or the option of chicken added to the Carrot Soup.

Was breakfast offered during the flight - the original post does not mention this?

If the above is all true, the rant seems just a little OTT.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
You will only truly be at peace, when you realise that there IS NO CARROT.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: Qantas FF & Qatar Privilege Club
I understand your frustration with this, but what you experienced is 'normal' for the flight times (in terms of catering, maybe not service) - I have flown this route multiple times in 'the business' as well.

The full 3-course menu experience is provided with all transcon A330 flights EXCEPT the overnight departures leaving Perth, where a light supper and breakfast is provided instead. I too was offered the carrot soup after departure, and took the continental breakfast before landing. I was fully expecting this as I had browsed the 'overnight' menu on their website beforehand. The late afternoon flights from Perth do still have the three-course dinners.

As other members have pointed out, this is because most people won't take a 3-course meal so late in the night, on such a short flight (it's faster going west to east) where sleep is a priority. Unfortunately it seems in your case you were not able to have dinner previously and was unaware of their 'overnight' menu. So I guess if you submit a complaint, there's not much they will do except offer an apology etc, and I wouldn't expect anything to change in regards to catering

Would it be nice to have the option of a three course dinner on an overnight flight? Definitely! I might have taken it up on a few occasions. But realistically, I know the demand is not there and it's not a feasible option unless many people also complain. It would be good if the ticket prices reflected that though..

Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bl5965
I understand your frustration with this, but what you experienced is 'normal' for the flight times (in terms of catering, maybe not service) - I have flown this route multiple times in 'the business' as well.

The full 3-course menu experience is provided with all transcon A330 flights EXCEPT the overnight departures leaving Perth, where a light supper and breakfast is provided instead. I too was offered the carrot soup after departure, and took the continental breakfast before landing. ...
Were you offered the 'Chicken'?

Please see post #32 - It's quite possible the FA was trying to minimise the effort they would need to put in for that flight ...
Old Mar 26, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: Qantas FF & Qatar Privilege Club
Originally Posted by serfty
Were you offered the 'Chicken'?

Please see post #32 - It's quite possible the FA was trying to minimise the effort they would need to put in for that flight ...
No I wasn't offered the chicken unfortunately.

This was in 1A on a 737 (subbed for A330 PER-MEL), and the guy in 1C was sleeping shortly after takeoff. FA leaned across him and whispered to me if I wanted supper, and after I said yes, she went to get the tray, minus chicken.

It would have been too much effort to clarify things - I couldn't get up with the tray table out, literally everyone else in the cabin was sleeping (I was the only supper taker), and I decided I'd just eat and wait for breakfast in about 90 minutes
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm ... maybe the FA's have found another use for 'the Chicken' ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.