Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

The pain of an intl award booking on SQ metal - Or how to lose a Platinum Member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The pain of an intl award booking on SQ metal - Or how to lose a Platinum Member

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: VA Silver
I was just offering my advice from a recent booking and commenting on the OP's lack of Krisflyer account - "No Krisflyer account and can't be bothered to open one"

Also offering my advice on the ease of booking via SQ.

I wasn't fixing his problems i know that but sometimes other angles shed better light on the subject. Clearly wasn't accepted as advice by some but no that's ok.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:10 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thadocta
For paid bookings yes, but then I would never dream of using (as an example) the VA website to make a paid booking on SQ, I would always use the actual carriers website.

Since the query was about VA reward travel, using VA points, on an SQ flight, my comment stands, there is absolutely no way that being a Krisflyer member can help.

Dave
Apart from not relying on a family member to check costs and availability of an alternative, always better to have one. What a grumpy post LOL
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by markis10
Apart from not relying on a family member to check costs and availability of an alternative, always better to have one. What a grumpy post LOL
Wot?

Dave
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by ozjuice
I was just offering my advice from a recent booking and commenting on the OP's lack of Krisflyer account - "No Krisflyer account and can't be bothered to open one"

Also offering my advice on the ease of booking via SQ.

I wasn't fixing his problems i know that but sometimes other angles shed better light on the subject. Clearly wasn't accepted as advice by some but no that's ok.
I appreciate the input but it is indeed not a solution to my problem. Krisflyer wouldn't allow me to collect miles on Delta, Hawaiian and Etihad where I have the majority of my travel. Fair enough, I could transfer my VA miles to a Krisflyer account as previously highlighted but my response is the same as before:
1. It is more expensive in terms of miles.
2. Why should I be bothered to open an account with Krisflyer, bother transferring my VA miles over to said Krisflyer and then do the booking from there if VA offers reward inventory on SQ metal. This is where the problem lies: if VA had clearly stated that the ticket "will be dead in the water" and usual SQ managing my booking facilities weren't available I probably could have been bothered. But they didn't state that anywhere. As my booking is ticketed, opening a Krisflyer account won't help me in any way.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
I'm not convinced that SQ is more expensive in terms of mileage; it's 25k one way from BNE-SIN in Y, factor the 15% off if you book online, then it's 21250 miles.

Even if you transfer VA to SQ at 1.35:1, it's 28688 VA miles ... but I digress.

I've found SQ call centre to be completely inflexible, even if common sense comes in to play. Even when I ask for their manager to escalate my issue, all I would get in response would be "sorry sir, my manager agrees and we can't do it for you".
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by im.daniel
I've found SQ call centre to be completely inflexible, even if common sense comes in to play.
You can send them an excerpt from their own terms and conditions and still get "Sorry sir, you're wrong" as a standard response in my experience

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.