Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking award over phone with US CC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Booking award over phone with US CC

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay for the award taxes of a Velocity award ticket with a USA credit card with a USA mailing address via the call center?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I don't see why not. You can book a revenue ticket with a US credit card.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

f
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I don't see why not. You can book a revenue ticket with a US credit card.
OK. I am a USA based Velocity member who used a mates OZ address to sign up for my Velocity account. I plan on making a large points transfer from SPG and want to make sure there are no hiccups when booking with Velocity.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seychellesbound
I plan on making a large points transfer from SPG and want to make sure there are no hiccups when booking with Velocity.
You will need to make sure the award is available if that is the intention.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You will need to make sure the award is available if that is the intention.
I second that as well. VA are among the worst in lining up award availability with partner airlines. wysiNwyg. I've had my share of failed attempts for DL, SQ, SA, NZ and EY. The worst is redeeming for VX flights where they see a reward seat available, select it but comes back as unconfirmed. In the case of DL, they're limited to the options that can be seen through VA own website, don't even hope they'll find a seat for a simple LAX-SFO or LAX-JFK despite being available from DL side.

So better call VA and check they can see - and book- availability for the flights you're after before you send your SPG points into the abyss.

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 9, 2016 at 5:13 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
I second that as well. VA are among the worst in lining up award availability with partner airlines. wysiNwyg. I've had my share of failed attempts for DL, SQ, SA, NZ and EY. The worst is redeeming for VX flights where they see a reward seat available, select it but comes back as unconfirmed. In the case of DL, they're limited to the options that can be seen through VA own website, don't even hope they'll find a seat for a simple LAX-SFO or LAX-JFK despite being available from DL side.

So better call VA and check they can see - and book- availability for the flights you're after before you send your SPG points into the abyss.
Thanks for the heads up. I did call Velocity and the agent was able to see my desired EY award and even was able to give me the taxes. Is this enough confirmation to feel confident?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I did call Velocity and the agent was able to see my desired EY award and even was able to give me the taxes. Is this enough confirmation to feel confident?
I've had a mixed bag redeeming on EY. Some flights did ticket -all those I booked online, but I've had others (over the phone when couldn't find a specific route/cabin) where the whole process fails at the payment stage, agents are hopeless at finding out the reason ending up just saying : it means no seats available.

If you can't find availability on VA website it's a gamble.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:37 pm

Gotta add, why not just transfer to EY?! If you can see it on EY website, it's probably best to use EY miles, no hassles no risks no worries. Best of, you'll earn some miles back for the cash component. They also allow 1 free change, and charge only 2k EY miles for cancelling/refund. Also AA might be better value to transfer to than EY.

With VA they charge a 60 dollar credit card fee if the taxes are more than 50, and for each change/cancellation.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Gotta add, why not just transfer to EY?! If you can see it on EY website, it's probably best to use EY miles, no hassles no risks no worries. Best of, you'll earn some miles back for the cash component. They also allow 1 free change, and charge only 2k EY miles for cancelling/refund. Also AA might be better value to transfer to than EY.

With VA they charge a 60 dollar credit card fee if the taxes are more than 50, and for each change/cancellation.
EY wants to charge me an absurd $300 surcharge (see below) to book at the Guest Seat level for the award I want (AUH-SEZ) in Business. This "YRF" charge is not imposed on the OpenSeat award. Plus, the Velocity award is only 33,800 miles compared to 40,000 EY miles.

Carrier Charge (YRF) AED 370

Also, I have had no luck pulling ANY EY awards up on the Velocity website??
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:42 pm

EY wants to charge me an absurd $300 surcharge (see below) to book at the Guest Seat level for the award I want (AUH-SEZ) in Business. This "YRF" charge is not imposed on the OpenSeat award. Plus, the Velocity award is only 33,800 miles compared to 40,000 EY miles.

Carrier Charge (YRF) AED 370

Also, I have had no luck pulling ANY EY awards up on the Velocity website??
OpenSeat is NOT an award. It is just a paid fare exchanged for miles at a steep rate.

Actually not true what you said. It's 39020 EY miles and It's 450AED (about 122USD).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:50 pm

AUH-SEZ with 75/25 miles/cash costs 29157 EY miles and ~211USD in cash/surcharges/taxes, certainly not the figure you quoted. I would book this directly with EY as you'll only need 24157 SPG points instead of 28.8k for VA. You know the value of those 4643k SPG points.

Also AED is NOT AUD. AED is UAE Dirhams, for which 1USD=3.67AED.

Last edited by edy4eva; Jan 9, 2016 at 9:00 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And some else may have taken the award (if it exists) 60 seconds after your phone call.
You seem to want to take a high risk gamble to possibly save a few $$$
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

AUH-SEZ with 75/25 miles/cash costs 29157 EY miles and ~211USD in cash/surcharges/taxes, certainly not the figure you quoted. I would book this directly with EY as you'll only need 24157 SPG points instead of 28.8k for VA. You know the value of those 4643k SPG points.

Also AED is NOT AUD. AED is UAE Dirhams, for which 1USD=3.67AED.
I don't see a POINTS + CASH option on the EY website. Please advise.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:59 pm

You need to have enough minimum miles required for this redemption to be able to reach the payment screen and move the scroll buitton to maximum cash minimum miles.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.