Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

VA rerouted me to NZ (invol), won't credit to partner airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD

All-

Although this involves my Skymiles account I felt that more experience flying VA with partner FF numbers in general might be found here.

I recently arrived to MEL booked on a MEL-SYD-ZQN flight, VA metal and VA booked. Upon check-in my original itinerary was gone and I was involuntarily switched to a direct MEL-ZQN flight on Air NZ metal. I tried to get back on the original routing the but agents would not allow it because MEL-SYD was oversold.

The issue here is I was crediting to Delta Skymiles, which obviously doesn't work with Air New Zealand metal. I needed the Delta MQM to achieve 2016 status, so it is an important matter.

I have tried with VA customer service (via email) to credit my originally booked itinerary to Delta Skymiles but they refuse to do this.

Has anyone else been able to get original routing credit with a partner airline? Or does VA not offer original routing credit at all? My CS replies are very unhelpful, both in outcome and in explanation of what is happening.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:50 pm

Hi CPMaverick
Have you tried sending your original ticket to DL asking DL to give you original routing credit?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Since it is VA ticketed and involving only VA flights, in normal circumstances VA would notify Delta to post miles (and I presume, VA would pay DL for miles).

The first Delta agent I spoke to said VA had to initiate the mileage request. VA says they cannot manually post to DL Skymiles (which I know, but seems like they could initiate the posting just like they do for normal flights?).

I did call this AM and spoke to another DL agent who took all my information and said they would contact VA, so maybe that will work. She said maybe 2 weeks though.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

An update, after working through VA I was able to get my flights posted. They contacted Delta on my behalf and provided them with the required information.

It wasn't without a fight, after seemingly hitting a dead-end I then responded with a lot of language from the VA policies that state I am due compensation if not placed on a 'VA flight within 2 hours of my original flight'. I also pointed out that I was not asked to volunteer, etc etc. I asked for $500 AUD cash or voucher if the miles could not be posted. Then they started actually trying to help me, finally. I didn't actually pursue that compensation when I was able to get my miles posted.

Maybe pushing Delta hard would have gotten them to contact VA for me, but VA had the information Delta needed to post the miles.

According to VA, this only worked because Delta's policies allow for Original Routing Credit, you may not get this result with other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.