Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dinner for LAX - BNE

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Dinner for LAX - BNE

I have an upcoming flight on VA flying J from LAX-BNE and am curious what others do regarding dinner? Since the flight is so late (departs at almost midnight) but does still serve a meal, do people just hold off eating until it is served on the plane, eat a late lunch, skip dinner altogether, etc? Curious what works best for time adjusting especially considering it will be even later for us originating from central time

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Opinions are mixed - the portions were smallish but may have improved. I would suggest you have something to eat (not too much) in the *A lounge at LAX.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
VA puts their menu's online: http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...haul/#business

I flew LAX>SYD a few months ago, depart 11pm'ish by memory and had a full dinner (which was really nice but very late). We got to the airport about 6.30pm for checkin and then hit the lounge, Xpress Spa for a massage and then boarded.

I wish VA put as much effort into their breakfast as they do their late night dinner, breakfast was nice but I could have been better.

Hate the J seats though, Im not flying VA long haul again until the new seats are in
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
My preference is to eat dinner on the plane; for jet lag the plan that works for me is to stay up as long as possible and sleep until arrival. Usually this means watching a movie during and after dinner service, and maybe a few TV shows if I am able to keep my eyes open.

For the destination time zone, you want to be awake after takeoff, so I don't consider it a late dinner... it's actually an early dinner on Australia time!
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:57 pm

I just flew this flight a couple weeks go...
There is a full dinner service, as well as an express dinner option!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...30-suites.html

Carfield
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:36 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Out Of the loop

Hi All
What no VA Newbie Forum? Uh oh
I'm on the VA 8 to Brisbane out of LAX in Business Class next month connecting onto Melbourne
I have some questions and would be very appreciative if anyone could assist
Its been many years since I last flew Virgin AU

The Club Lounge back in the day was in an old tired Alaska Airlines Club
Has that and its offerings improved?Is there a lounge in Brisbane?

And Finally does the LAX to Brisbane route have the foam mattress pads and or refurbished cabins?very confused with all the press releases I read

Just know you will get VIP help over in the Hyatt GP forum if any of you ever need some assistance in our forum at anytime
Feel free to private mail me at anytime
Cheers
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: Velocity FF
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...t.../brisbane/

Hi 777 (cool name) the above link may assist you with lounge information at Brisbane.
VA 777's Business will be retrofitted from May/June 2016. Odds are, you will experience the current hard product, but it does include the memory foam topper. I haven't flown it, but we sit in Premium Economy and watch with envy as those fluffy white mattresses are carried in and out each leg! Trying out the new J class in August and can't wait. PS - the Lounge in Tom Bradley at LAX looks divine, looking forward to that as well!
Have an awesome trip and welcome to Australia mate!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by shouldhavebeenabird
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...t.../brisbane/

Hi 777 (cool name) the above link may assist you with lounge information at Brisbane.
VA 777's Business will be retrofitted from May/June 2016. Odds are, you will experience the current hard product, but it does include the memory foam topper. I haven't flown it, but we sit in Premium Economy and watch with envy as those fluffy white mattresses are carried in and out each leg! Trying out the new J class in August and can't wait. PS - the Lounge in Tom Bradley at LAX looks divine, looking forward to that as well!
Have an awesome trip and welcome to Australia mate!
Many Thanks for the kind words and welcome
Speaking of welcome a warm welcome to Flyertalk ^
Sounds like good news on all counts lounge and memory foam
Qantas got so tight with First Class availability I decided to come back and fly the VA flying bird again.
Flying Kangaroos are stingy this year
Just escaped the blizzard in NYC by hours and looking forward to some Ozzie warmth and hospitality.
My sincere thanks for the information
Cheers
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: Velocity FF
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...isbane-lounge/

The link to Brisbane Lounge seemed to fail, so please try this one.

Have a safe flight and hopefully we can organise some nice weather for you.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by shouldhavebeenabird
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...isbane-lounge/

The link to Brisbane Lounge seemed to fail, so please try this one.

Have a safe flight and hopefully we can organise some nice weather for you.
Many thanks you are amazing^
I found it even with the failed link
Looks great
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I hop across the lake a couple times a year - first time last year on VA metal...to SYD.

Meal selections very similar to DL that we normally fly. I tend to get try to skip meals to get the free on one the plane. Normally served within two hours of departure to get you acclimated to time schedule of destination...assuming you sleep for a greater portion of the flight.

I've gotten used to selecting a 'special' meal - like the Asian Vegetarian that I had on the VA flight and other DL flights. The nice thing is that it comes out before everybody elses, allowing you to eat and then go to sleep sooner than others. Happen to like the AV meal with curry too!

Then, a couple hours before arrival, you'll get breakfast - but more Americanized than Aussie. For that, you'll want to hit the VA lounge in BNE as mentioned previously.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
The current VA J seats have foam mattresses which are actually quite bulky and take a a fair bit of overlocker space (they are rolled up like a girl guide on camp/glamping trip) but I found them comfortable when lying down.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
This just in (email) in case you missed it:
https://www.delta.com/mypromos/acela...A006488_P0_PRI

Extra bonus miles for flying Aussie routes (BNE or SYD) from LAX.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by BHammy
This just in (email) in case you missed it:
https://www.delta.com/mypromos/acela...A006488_P0_PRI

Extra bonus miles for flying Aussie routes (BNE or SYD) from LAX.
Actually, it's either direction, BNE/SYD->LAX or LAX->BNE/SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.