How feasible is this?

Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

How feasible is this?

Hey everyone

Long time lurker, first time poster here (forgive me if some of my terminology isn't quite right).

My family and I are heading over the USA for a decent trip spanning a six week period. There are four adults over 18 and a child.

Unfortunately the flights were booked without me being able to do any proper planning for status and the like so I am trying to work the best scenario possible with what I have.

The flights to the USA are booked on HA. It looks as though I can credit those points to Velocity.

It looks like family pooling would be perfect for this. I have set up a pool and attached an adult over 18 and the child to my account. From my understanding both their miles and status earned should flow directly to me?

Code:
Flight     Class    Distance   Status Credits    Mile Earn Rate
AKL->HNL   K        4379MI     40SC              0.5
HNL->SEA   H        2661MI     30SC              0.5 
LAX->HNL   N        2540MI     30SC              1
HNL->AKL   K        4379MI     40SC              0.5

((4379*2*0.5)+(2661*0.5)+2540)*3 = 24,748.5mi
(40+30+30+40)*3 = 420SC
Throughout the trip I am also flying a couple of Delta flights

Code:
Flight     Class    Distance   Status Credits    Mile Earn Rate
LAX->SLC   V        586MI      15SC              0.5
SLC->LAX   V        586MI      15SC              0.5

(586+586)*0.5 = 586mi
15+15 = 30SC

Grand total
25,334.5 mi / 450 SC
Now for the other two adults, I have pooled them together also. I won't be able to get the status credits from that; but I should be able to transfer the miles at a later stage to me for use in reward tickets?

If you haven't already guessed, I'm based in NZ. Because none of these flights are booked as VA ticket numbers, I'm going to need to find the best way to meet the rest of the requirements for gold.

I don't quite understand how those qualifying flights work. Does anyone have any ideas?

I really appreciate it!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:08 am

As long as you either flying a VA Operated flight (i.e AKL -> SYD) or VA Codeshare flight (i.e VA Flight Number on an Singapore Airlines flight SYD -> SIN), you'll earn one eligible sector per flight. Distance isn't a factor at all for ESs

Fly 4 times for Gold or 8 for Platinum to achieve the needed sectors; Perhaps for kicks AKL -> SYD -> OOL -> SYD -> AKL as a (Cheap?) status run to get Gold initially and help fast track you to Platinum, doing it again to get the ESs for Plat
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, from my understanding I'm going to need 50SC + 4 ES flights to get gold (from all the earnings above if they are correct)?

Is there a basic domestic ES that gives decent SC/$ compared with others? Just looking to do the bare minimum for gold at this stage.

If AKL->OOL->SYD->OOL->AKL is worth 50SC, I'd go for a route like that (assuming the investment isn't going to be huuuge).

Last edited by oldgateway; Sep 2, 2015 at 2:10 pm Reason: Grammar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.