Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Can I buy ticket for family member using my CC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond

Want to invite a family member over on a domestic flight from SYD to OOL and would love to buy them a ticket, but don't want them to have any issues when checking-in.

Can I pay for their ticket without any issues? Does it need to be a card with SecureCode/Verified by Visa, or will any card do?

Also, as a pensioner is their card good enough for check-in? No DL/passport so if not then I need to let them know to get some sort of ID card issued at the local DMV.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Never had an issue paying for someone else's VA booking with my credit Card.

ID needs to be 'sufficient' (Photo ID preferred) - more here: http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...nter-check-in/
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
As Serfty mentioned, so long as they have photo id to check in at a counter or can do OLCI and print out their own BP, Aust dom flights are the easiest ones to use, and are not like other airlines overseas.
I have booked and paid for flights with my card for my parents (I don't fly with them), they sometimes fly Jetstar and I print out their BPs for them, with these BPs they just scan that at the gate and they are good to get onto the flight.
Edit: I have been having a bit of trouble getting the VA system to book for myself, using my own card of late, I would say its more so the system, rather than the card, but you can try booking your relative at http://www.virginaustralia.com.
Seems that it gets stuck at the date stage.
On it (you might have done bookings on VA for yourself in the past), but on the booking system, you can tick a box or something that asks if you are flyer, you enter details of the flyer, and go through with the purchase.
If the relative has a VA FF account, you can remind them to bring along their VA FF card to get points and SC.

Last edited by AustralianPoochie; Aug 11, 2015 at 7:20 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: QF Silver
Yes you can book a ticket for a third party using your credit card. No issue at all.

Regarding ID, I've never been asked to produce an ID on the 200+ VA domestic flights I took in the last 3 years. That is regardless of whether I used OLCI, normal check in, a check in kiosk or checking in in the lounge. You could do a booking for a John Doe and just get on the flight.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
As Serfty mentioned, so long as they have photo id ...
That is not what I posted - as per the link I provided "Sufficient Id" is what is required. Photo Is perferred but not essential for domestic check-in.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
That is not what I posted - as per the link I provided "Sufficient Id" is what is required. Photo Is perferred but not essential for domestic check-in.
From another thread
I am probably close to being banned from here too I think.
Ahh... never mind, I might as well take myself off and read only.

Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Thanks guys - my main worry is that without photo ID they would at least want the passenger to have paid for their flight with their own CC. But in this case I am paying and the passenger has no photo ID. Hopefully things will go smoothly anyway and they won't give an OAP too much hassle when checking in...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
Originally Posted by serfty
Never had an issue paying for someone else's VA booking with my credit Card.
^
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aster
Thanks guys - my main worry is that without photo ID they would at least want the passenger to have paid for their flight with their own CC. But in this case I am paying and the passenger has no photo ID. Hopefully things will go smoothly anyway and they won't give an OAP too much hassle when checking in...
I don't think the credit card is that important.

If there is no checked luggage, there will be no need to produce any ID as long as OLCI is used.

If luggage needs to be checked, then still OLCI and the PAX needs use 'bag drop' at the airport. They may or may not be asked for ID even then. If they are so asked, then they would simply need to have sufficient ID - a medicare card, utility bill, library card or other membership cards for an institution showing their name etc.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
If you google it, turns out there is a law that can be broken for travelling under a false name.
Granted that id is not checked too deeply, but somewhere, there is an "authority" it seems that does do the checking, and when something happens, a person can be jailed.
Heard a snippet on the ABC that in SYD, someone is facing a 3 month jail term for travelling under a false name.
PER has also had news in May when a few people flew under false names from PER to BNE and then to SYD.
And for #6, yes, I do know I did write that.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From another thread
I am probably close to being banned from here too I think.
Ahh... never mind, I might as well take myself off and read only.
...And for #6, yes, I do know I did write that.
And the best thing you have ever written on AFF & FT: just stick to your statement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.