Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Velocity Platinum American Express Card: Bonus 110000 points offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Velocity Platinum American Express Card: Bonus 110000 points offer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
That is for USA cards to be fair. Not sure if it applies to Australia AMEX. I got a US bonus and just recently my Australia bonus without cancelling the US card, so there is some separation there. The T&Cs for the Australian card say you can't have an Australian issued AMEX.
Yepp, tried it with the Mrs. She got the 110,000 despite having held one of my sub cards and despite her having had the Engineers Australia Amex until January 2014 with a sign-up bonus in 2011.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Agreed, the free flight routes are pretty limited. Still worth the annual fee probably, but only if you need to go there anyway.

The sign-up bonus is where the real worth is.

That is for USA cards to be fair. Not sure if it applies to Australia AMEX. I got a US bonus and just recently my Australia bonus without cancelling the US card, so there is some separation there. The T&Cs for the Australian card say you can't have an Australian issued AMEX.
Right now Australian Amex does not have this rule at all. Even though in their T&Cs it stated that the bonus points does not apply to existing card holders, from my (and my friends') experience, we still get all the bonus points even if we are existing card holders. I guess Amex wants to grow market share in Australia.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Right now Australian Amex does not have this rule at all. Even though in their T&Cs it stated that the bonus points does not apply to existing card holders, from my (and my friends') experience, we still get all the bonus points even if we are existing card holders. I guess Amex wants to grow market share in Australia.
Yes, they do have this rule, and it is in clear black and white! Your experiences (or others) do not make this rule disappear.

If Amex was doing that to grow market share in Australia, they wouldn't put clear rules in the T&Cs that state they do not allow it!

Your friends got lucky; every situation is a bit different but it is not guaranteed that everyone gets this bonus. You should not portray it this way. The terms are clear, it is not allowed for current AU Amex holders and anyone that fits this criteria and is applying expecting a bonus does so at their own risk.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Thank you! You can always use the points to fly directly to LAX on VA or DL ....

Also don't forget to use the free domestic flight included in the card for some travelling in Australia!
Well, I did not get approved until October 30. What bonus can I expect, still the 110?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jmr007
Well, I did not get approved until October 30. What bonus can I expect, still the 110?
The original link for 110K points expires at end of September. Then from October onwards you should get 80K points which is still a great deal.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
The original link for 110K points expires at end of September. Then from October onwards you should get 80K points which is still a great deal.
Well, I requested the original offer to be honored for me to activate the card. She said she had to check with marketing and call me back. She called back the next day to confirm and said activated my card on same call. Must be small operation...
Thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.