Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Velocity Platinum American Express Card: Bonus 110000 points offer

Velocity Platinum American Express Card: Bonus 110000 points offer

Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Only 3 days left before this offer closes, so if you are still thinking about it, now is the time!

APPLY NOW
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM-2MM,VAus VIP,, MR/Bonvoy LT Platinum, AA Ex Plat,LH FT, HH,hyatt, Accor Gold
Hi there,
Just applied via your link. Response 5-10days to approve. 2 months here, just moved from US. Gave us plat card, hope they check with Amex us. We actually intended to keep using all us credit cards with no fx charges, just bonus was compelling.
Thanks
J
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jmr007
Hi there,
Just applied via your link. Response 5-10days to approve. 2 months here, just moved from US. Gave us plat card, hope they check with Amex us. We actually intended to keep using all us credit cards with no fx charges, just bonus was compelling.
Thanks
J
Thank you! You can always use the points to fly directly to LAX on VA or DL ....

Also don't forget to use the free domestic flight included in the card for some travelling in Australia!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Excellent! Thanks for that! Glad I put it in the thread then. ^

Once you get your card you can sign up for online services... then if you are smarter than me, you will find the refer a friend link at the bottom of the page right away.

Congrats on getting the card, the offer expires soon and it is a really good one! Just make sure you spend the $1000k to get your bonus...
Actually you don't even need to login to access Refer-A-Friend link. It is at the bottom of the Amex home page. You do need a valid card number though for referral when generating the link.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:19 pm

If someone who is a supplementary card holder of on an American express account signs up. Does that mean they can still get the sign up bonus?

Last edited by sammow; Sep 28, 2015 at 11:51 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
A stated above, 1 more day now, pick a link, any link, but take advantage of this offer if you can and apply by tomorrow.

Originally Posted by sammow
If someone who is a supplementary card holder of on an American express account signs up. Does that mean they can still get the sign up bonus?
You mean they are just named on an additional card of another card holder?

Yes, they should still be eligible for the bonus. They are not a cardholder officially. I don't even think AMEX knows any personal details about those people.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick

Yes, they should still be eligible for the bonus. They are not a cardholder officially. I don't even think AMEX knows any personal details about those people.

Does it matter if they check the box that asks if you have an Amex? They told me they did and then it prompted them to put to put in there card number which would allow AMEX to see that they are only an addtional card holder..
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Does it matter if they check the box that asks if you have an Amex? They told me they did and then it prompted them to put to put in there card number which would allow AMEX to see that they are only an addtional card holder..
If you have existing Amex card, just check the box as you still get the bonus points even if you are existing card holder (even though T&Cs said otherwise).
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
If you have existing Amex card, just check the box as you still get the bonus points even if you are existing card holder (even though T&Cs said otherwise).
Really? Is that in all cases?

That seem so strange for Amex to leave the door wide open like that. Why bother making it a requirement if it is not enforced...
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:32 pm

Really? Is that in all cases?

That seem so strange for Amex to leave the door wide open like that. Why bother making it a requirement if it is not enforced...
It may work, but of course nobody knows if it is for all cases. And if it doesn't work, you have no recourse, as the T&Cs are clear.

I recommend not checking the box if the person does not have an AMEX under their own name.

From what I can tell, the only reason for the box is so they can align your accounts in the online services, and prefill some information for you. It isn't there for a check against the signing bonus. But it could be referenced later.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:32 am

Looks like the offer has been reduced to 80,000 miles for the referral now.

A huge improvement over the new 50,000 offered on the front page. But probably better to wait if you can in case they go back up.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: QF Silver
I've had this card for 3 years now and wanted to redeem my free flight yesterday. Interestingly they culled a lot of routes and now you're only able to book certain routes depending on your city of origin.

Example: I wanted to book BNE-PER-BNE as I did in the previous years. The response was "sorry sir, we do not offer this route." When I expressed my surprise and referred her to my previous years booking she highlighted that only the selected routes were available. This has definitely changed. I checked the website and voilà, the furthest you can go from BNE is MEL. Funnily enough you can still do PER-BNE-PER.

Oh well, it was nice while it lasted. For me personally it's time to cancel the card.

On a related note: strangely I found myself booking on QF increasingly the last few months, not only for the upcoming BNE-PER-BNE. Although the new domestic business suite on VA is pretty schmick.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I think depending on your situation, you may or may not find the card of value. However for a lot of people, it is worth every cent of the annual fee.

What a lot of people are doing are cancelling the cards, and then sign up the cards again at later date. It seems that Amex always rewards new customers.

Whilst the new 80K offer is not the best, it is still a pretty good deal:

Virgin Velocity Platinum American Express

This card is still the best offer for Velocity points bonus out there. To sum it up:

80000 bonus Velocity points + Free Virgin Australia domestic flight + 2 Virgin Australia Lounge Passes + Travel Insurance for only $349 annual fee.

The free domestic flight covers most of the annual fee already.

Most important of all, 80000 bonus Velocity points can be converted to 59259 Singapore Krisflyer miles. It can get you award ticket on Singapore Airlines (as an example):

- Sydney - Singapore - Hong Kong on Business One-Way (46750 KF miles)
- Sydney - Singapore - Rest of South East Asia Business One-Way (46750 KF miles)

If you spend a little on your card to accumulate more miles, you can go the following:
- Sydney - Singapore - Hong Kong on A380 Suites/First One-Way (63750 KF miles)
- Sydney - Singapore - Tokyo on Business One-Way (65875 KF miles)
- Sydney - Singapore - Tokyo on A380 Suites/First One-Way (80750 KF miles)
- Sydney - Singapore - European Cities on Business One-Way (80750 KF miles)

It is still a fantastic deal. If you want all these benefits, you should apply on the following link:

APPLY HERE
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by kamchatsky

What a lot of people are doing are cancelling the cards, and then sign up the cards again at later date. It seems that Amex always rewards new customers.
Amex instituted a "one bonus per personal card per person per lifetime" last year. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etime-usa.html Business cards can still be churned every 18 months.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by littlegreenman
I've had this card for 3 years now and wanted to redeem my free flight yesterday. Interestingly they culled a lot of routes and now you're only able to book certain routes depending on your city of origin.

Example: I wanted to book BNE-PER-BNE as I did in the previous years. The response was "sorry sir, we do not offer this route." When I expressed my surprise and referred her to my previous years booking she highlighted that only the selected routes were available. This has definitely changed. I checked the website and voilà, the furthest you can go from BNE is MEL. Funnily enough you can still do PER-BNE-PER.
Agreed, the free flight routes are pretty limited. Still worth the annual fee probably, but only if you need to go there anyway.

The sign-up bonus is where the real worth is.

Originally Posted by philemer
Amex instituted a "one bonus per personal card per person per lifetime" last year. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etime-usa.html Business cards can still be churned every 18 months.
That is for USA cards to be fair. Not sure if it applies to Australia AMEX. I got a US bonus and just recently my Australia bonus without cancelling the US card, so there is some separation there. The T&Cs for the Australian card say you can't have an Australian issued AMEX.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.