Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Time SYD on VA: Intl Arrival Connecting to Domestic Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

I will be arriving on VA2 (LAX-SYD) as a J passenger. I am going to book a domestic flight on VA on a separate ticket on the same day as arrival. VA2 is scheduled to arrive at 6:20AM. I would like to connect to a domestic flight at 8:50AM.

- If I recall correctly I will be able to use an expedited line for immigration and customs since I'm a J passenger. Correct?
- I will then have to take the VA transfer bus for 15AUD. Can I check my luggage at the VS transfer desk where I catch the bus to the domestic terminal?
- I then need to check-in at the VA domestic counter, flying economy

I prefer not to take the later 2:00PM flight or a flight that has connections, hence wanting to book the 8:50AM flight.

Is 2.5 hours enough time?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Im a local and I wouldn't risk it, especially on separate tickets.

Lots of planes landing 6am onwards, I often see planes flying in circles from my kitchen window, just waiting for 6am/curfew to finish so they can land. Which means there would be approx. 6 or 7 flights landing between 6am to 7am. God help you, if you get stuck behind a flight from India/Asia - customs love spending time checking through their bags for food and spices.

Im sure it can/has been done, I have been out of the airport within 40mins a few times but not for an early morning landing and not for a transfer to domestic.

Don't forget Virgin wants you checked in no later than 40mins before departure and good luck!
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I support osmo. It can be done and I have done such connection, but it was too stressful to try again. I try to avoid SYD for int->dom connections, MEL is way much better.

There is no "real" priority line for customs. Been on flight from SIN where every single luggage was hand checked even for F passengers. Took us more than 2 hours to get through customs.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: VAG
Customs, not immigration, is almost certainly your limiting factor. US passport holders can get through the SmartGate, which usually means getting to the carousel before your bag does. But then customs is... well, unpredictable. Honestly it's never taken me personally more than an hour (and usually much less, 10-15 minutes or so) but horror stories do happen.

I agree with others, 2.5 hours is possible but carries a significant risk (maybe ten to twenty percent even if you do everything right) of missing your connection. Stick that into your personal risk calculus and figure it out.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia, United, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada
To add to the chorus of votes against doing it, the other problem you're looking at is that it seems like the departures for international trips are constantly being delayed for one reason or another and suddenly you end up with 2 hours or 1.5 hours to make the connection rather than your 2.5 hours. Then you go to check-in with Virgin for the next flight and you're looking at a line-up full of passengers with missed connections or a short line-up and only 1 agent and the people at the front of the line have something messed up with their ticket and the bus isn't coming by for another half an hour.

If you're going to do it, see if you can get a flexi ticket or something similar that lets you retroactively switch flights.

If it was all on the same ticket, no problem with going for it, but I've had enough missed connections on international flights through Sydney that I would never personally attempt it on a non-refundable/non-changeable ticket unless I had about 4 or 5 hours and even then, I'd be nervous as I've has much longer delays than that multiple times and we're probably only talking about 10-15 international trips through there including short hops over to New Zealand.

ETA: Where are you going on your follow-up trip? Would it be worthwhile looking into taking the bus with Murray's or Greyhound to your final destination? Not a particularly luxurious option I admit, but depending on your destination, it's a potentially cheaper, more flexible and just as fast option.

Last edited by BTR_CDN; Jan 11, 2015 at 9:41 pm
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information so far.

Additional info:
- I am a US Global Entry member which provides me with SmartGate privileges. Will this help?
- I looked into Flexi fares. Changes are "Permitted up to flight departure." So no retroactive changes if flight is missed.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by FogCityTraveler
Thanks for all the information so far.

Additional info:
- I am a US Global Entry member which provides me with SmartGate privileges. Will this help?
- I looked into Flexi fares. Changes are "Permitted up to flight departure." So no retroactive changes if flight is missed.
SmartGate helps with immigration. Nothing to do with customs as we have posted above.

Had a look at VA2 history. Recently has been mostly on time or slightly ahead, but also extremely late...

I would not attempt <3 hr International to domestic connection in SYD at all...
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:07 pm

Another factor is that the VA bus goes via the public road network outside the airport, unlike the QF bus. You will be arriving at peak time & any problems on the roads will further impact you.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:45 pm

Just book the cheapest fare on the later flight and if you make it to the VA domestic check in in time ask to be moved to the earlier flight. There's still risk with this seat availability on the desired flight might be nil by that time.

Since these are separate tickets anyway, why not book with QF? at least the transfer will be much easier and you only need need to be at the domestic transfer desk which is next to international arrivals T-40min from departure.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful responses.
Old May 10, 2015, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Another question.

I'm flying LAX-SYD in J on VA2 with a scheduled arrival time of 6:20AM. I am also eligible to use SmartGate.

I have a connecting flight, separate ticket, SYD-CNS in J departing at 2:10PM. On the advice of those on here and other forums and not wanting to run into any travel snafus I booked this later flight. If I get through immigration and customs in time to make the 8:50AM flight what is VAs standby policy/procedure? My ticket allows for changes. Is there a standby list? If so, how soon can I be put on the list?
Old May 10, 2015, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by FogCityTraveler
Another question.

I'm flying LAX-SYD in J on VA2 with a scheduled arrival time of 6:20AM. I am also eligible to use SmartGate.

I have a connecting flight, separate ticket, SYD-CNS in J departing at 2:10PM. On the advice of those on here and other forums and not wanting to run into any travel snafus I booked this later flight. If I get through immigration and customs in time to make the 8:50AM flight what is VAs standby policy/procedure? My ticket allows for changes. Is there a standby list? If so, how soon can I be put on the list?
There's no standby list with VA, and am afraid it isn't as straightforward or clear as one might expect.

To VA's own Gold/Plat taking the earlier flight is advertised as as a perk (fly early), but they made it in such a way that:
- Flying with hand bags only.
- There needs to be availability in the same booking class on the earlier flight.
- Needs to be done at the Lounge (or check in desks) at least an hour prior to departure (can't remember the exact number of minutes).

For everyone else, you may expect that VA will direct you to the service desk to pay the fare difference/penalties, although some have reported that they have been moved to earlier flights without paying extra.

By contrast QF do swap passengers over without much fuss, although some forum members believe QF may be rigid and demand penalties/fare difference.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Customs, not immigration, is almost certainly your limiting factor.
Do VA give out Express Pass cards for J passengers? If so, Customs should be quick too.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by docbert
Do VA give out Express Pass cards for J passengers? If so, Customs should be quick too.
Yes they do, most recently at check-in (LAX in this case).
Old May 16, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva
There's no standby list with VA, and am afraid it isn't as straightforward or clear as one might expect.

To VA's own Gold/Plat taking the earlier flight is advertised as as a perk (fly early), but they made it in such a way that:
- Flying with hand bags only.
- There needs to be availability in the same booking class on the earlier flight.
- Needs to be done at the Lounge (or check in desks) at least an hour prior to departure (can't remember the exact number of minutes).

For everyone else, you may expect that VA will direct you to the service desk to pay the fare difference/penalties, although some have reported that they have been moved to earlier flights without paying extra.

By contrast QF do swap passengers over without much fuss, although some forum members believe QF may be rigid and demand penalties/fare difference.
QF is usually inflexible. VA try hard for anyone, and flya-head is a defined benefit for Plat/Gold.

VA is likely to agree move you to the earlier flight if there's a seat and you're in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.