Wiki Posts
Search

Status credits for points plus pay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
Status credits for points plus pay?

Just like the title said, can you earn status credits for points plus pay?

Also, when booking a flight, how can I tell how SC will be earned? "Discount Economy", "Economy" etc don't translate to "Saver", "Flexi" etc. I called Velocity to ask, and they had no idea either.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:13 am

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
SCs are not earned on reward seats.

SC earned table,
https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...StatusCredits/
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Status credits are normally earned when points are used in lieu of Cash for "Revenue" bookings in revenue classes (e.g. J for Business).

This is different from reward redemptions booked into award classes (e.g. Z for Business) which earn no points or SC's.

However, Points+Pay is typically a very poor use of points when compared to award redemptions.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
SaverLite and Saver fares are always discount Y. Earns the least SC.
The third choice in will earn you full Y SC.
And premium/business will earn the most.
Edit: under earning Status Credits, this one is from the Velocity Rewards/Velocity Frequent Flyer website.

Status Credits earned per one-way flight1 with the following airlines:

Virgin Australia2
Etihad Airways4
Virgin Samoa
Hawaiian Airlines
Singapore Airlines
Delta Air Lines
Virgin America
Air New Zealand3
SilkAir
Virgin Atlantic5

Zone

One-Way Miles

Discount Economy

Full Fare Economy

Premium Economy

Business/
First

0-750

751-1,500

1,501-3,000

3,001-5,000

5,001-8,000

6 8,001 +

If you click discount economy, full fare economy, premium economy or business, it will list subclasses.
I am not very good at taking screen shots though.
You can do dummy bookings, and look at the fare basis codes, the first alphabet is the clue to what class you will be in.
MEL to CHC, one way 17Jan15, SaverLite on VA, VA100 Aud$255.07, MSATA-look under M, and its discount Y SC earn.

Last edited by AustralianPoochie; Jan 3, 2015 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Gold Passport, SPG
I must be blinder than I thought (I am vision impaired) because I cannot see anything either when I am booking or when I have the flicking ticket that says what fare class I am in. I book the cheapest ticket that I can. However, on a return trip SYD/MCY I got 10 SC one way and 20 on the one back. I just don't get it. It seems like it is secret or something.

We only travel for leisure, and use family pooling. Current SC are 290. Future trips leave us 30 SC short of Gold by early April. I want to pick up a few SCs, and it is bloody annoying because I am buggered if I can figure out which flights will give me enough.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestically you earn varying status credits for saver+saver-light (discount economy), flexi (full fare economy) and business fares. The amount earned also varies by distance zones: 750 miles or less, 751 to 1500 miles etc.

So, just go by the columns ("saver"="saver light"="Discount Economy" in this case).

More on that here: Earning Status Credits | Velocity
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by keiko
I must be blinder than I thought (I am vision impaired) because I cannot see anything either when I am booking or when I have the flicking ticket that says what fare class I am in. ......
When I do my VA bookings, after I selected my flights, on the bottom right hand side, under the price, you will see in red, "Fare Rules".

Click "Fare Rules" and you should get a pop up with the fare coding.

Once you have your fare, you can figure out the ticket classification: https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.co...EarnFareClass/
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
On QF, you do earn SC on the class you end up in, ie, if you have more than 5,000 QF FF points, and the rest you use a credit card to pay, to get into J, you will earn QF FF points and SC at that J rate.
Not sure on the VA side of things, you probably earn VR FF points and VR SC on the lower class, ie, the class you originally paid for.
I have used VA (VR) points plus pay a few times, and have never gotten the upper points or SC earn, but on QF, have had the earn at the upper class earn rate.
Agree with Osmo, its the first alphabet you need to see, on some fares, if its RFLEX, its the R you need to chase up, this earns you SC at the full Y rate. Ignore the wordings FLEX.
One last thing, if planning to book NZ (Air NZ) domestic within NZ flights, try to if you have a QF FF account, go fly JQ and earn 800 QF FF points and 10 QF SC for flying JQ withinin NZ.
Flying NZ on GrabaSeat, earns you nil on S class, also booking on VA website to fly domestic NZ flights will also be in S class a lot of the time, earning zilch.

Last edited by AustralianPoochie; Jan 6, 2015 at 7:05 am
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Not sure on the VA side of things...
Well, why post here??!?!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.