Check in cutoff at LAX

Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Check in cutoff at LAX

Flying LAX-SYD soon and can't find the minimum check-in time posted anywhere. I'm in J and will be checking luggage. VA's website says you "should" check in 90 minutes before departure, but that sounds like more of a suggestion than a rule.

Anybody have something more definitive? Is it 45 minutes? 60 minutes?

http://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en...onal-check-in/

Recommended Check-in Times

You should be checked in for your international flight at least 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time.

If you are travelling in a large group or require additional assistance we recommend that you are checked in 2 hours prior to your scheduled departure time.

When planning your arrival at the airport please ensure you allow enough time to check in.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's 90 minutes - this from an e-ticket receipt.
International Flights

You should be checked in for your flight at least 90 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time*.

If you are travelling in a large group or require additional assistance we recommend that you are checked in at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled departure time.

When planning your arrival at the airport please ensure you allow enough time to check in.

You must check in at the airport via our check-in counters. We do not currently provide Web Check-in for our international services.

Please have your passport and travel documents on hand, and keep in mind the Enhanced Security Measures for what is allowed on board international flights. Web Check-in is available from 48 hours, up to 40 minutes, before your scheduled flight departure (Web Check-in is available for Domestic flights only). Note: Web Check-in is only available for flights operated by Virgin Australia.

No checked bags? Head straight to the boarding gate with your boarding pass. Checked bags? Please visit a bag drop counter with your boarding pass.

If you have a Special Service Request (SSR); or are travelling on a Virgin Australia International flight, please visit a check-in counter at the airport to check in.

*NOTE: You must check in for your flight by the specified time prior to your scheduled departure. Failure to do so may cause you to miss your flight and forfeit the fare paid.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"should" check in at least 90 minutes before does not imply that baggage acceptance will cease at 90 minutes before departure

Not arriving in accordance with published times could impact eligibility to denied boarding compensation on an oversold flight, but the email statement isn't indicating the latest time to check in
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
"should" check in at least 90 minutes before does not imply that baggage acceptance will cease at 90 minutes before departure
@Dave Noble is on the right track. Should is not the same as shall or must. I'll probably shoot to be there around 90 minutes anyway, but would hate to get there at 85 minutes and be told tough luck. I'm just used to American airlines publishing clear rules that say a recommended time and an absolute minimum time. I can't find anything definitive.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Also @Serfty, I bought my ticket through Delta so I have no such language in my confirmation email. There is a link to Delta's policies (60 min cutoff for international) but that obviously doesn't apply.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One of thos situations where, if you just "shoot" for T-90 and arrive at T-85 and are denied, you will kick yourself, especially if you can't be rebooked for 2 days or have to buy a new ticket, or both.

As you clearly have the capacity to check-in by T-90, why not just do it?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not arriving in accordance with published times could impact eligibility to denied boarding compensation on an oversold flight, but the email statement isn't indicating the latest time to check in
I believe it is given this footnote indicated by the the *:
*NOTE: You must check in for your flight by the specified time prior to your scheduled departure. Failure to do so may cause you to miss your flight and forfeit the fare paid.
MUST is pretty conclusive.

To the OP, I would be looking to arrive at the airport at least two hours before your flight - takes the stress away and you can relax in the new *A TBIT lounge while waiting for your flight.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

no it doesn't. All it says that by not doing so , [i[you may[/i] miss your flight

The OP seems pretty clear in wanting to know what the actual cutoff time is rather than what the airline is recommending
Old Dec 7, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no it doesn't. All it says that by not doing so , you may miss your flight

The OP seems pretty clear in wanting to know what the actual cutoff time is rather than what the airline is recommending
To me the word must is pretty clear.

The direct result of which is that there is no obligation for the airline to allow check in (with or without checked luggage) less than 90 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

It is a risk I would avoid taking and as such I consider that to be the cutoff time - that's the advice I give to the OP.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll check in by 90 min and won't chance it.

I still find it odd that there doesn't seem to be any published "must" or "shall" language on the VA website. The example given above where it says "must" comes from a VA eticket receipt. As far as I can tell my DL eticket has no information and the VA website only contains "should" and "recommended" language.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:35 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
VA at both LAX and SYD cut off all checkins at 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Sorry, I don't know if there is a longer cutoff for those checking bags.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
So you are going to fly in a tube for 14 hours or so, from one continent to another, on a flight that goes once a day.

AND you are trying to cut it fine for check in (or that might just be my perception)

I agree that the website should publish a cut off time,

However you should allow time for delays in traffic, delays in finding the VA desks in a huge terminal, delays once you get checked in, with security and maybe a long walk to the gate, and you will want a moment to go to the bathroom, get a coffee or a snack, make a few last minute phone calls or send some emails, or just take a selfie for FB

Now if you check on just on the cut off, you may make the flight by running, you may be the last to run onto the aircraft BUT will your bags get the same treatement.

Get to SYD and stand and wait at the luggage belt. Wait some more, watch everyone else get their bags - the belt stops you bags still not there - guess what they are still at LAX - go fill out a luggage report etc.

So much easier to get to the airport at T120 and chill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.