Wiki Posts
Search

Velocity <-> Krisflyer conversions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Velocity <-> Krisflyer conversions

The conversion ratio hasn't been defined yet, but seemingly the transfer of points between Velocity and Krisflyer is in the offing:

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...TY-CONVERSION/

Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia today announced a world first for frequent flyers, allowing members of KrisFlyer and Velocity Frequent Flyer to convert their Miles and Points between both programmes for the first time and receive a number of innovative new benefits.

The new conversion innovation, which is exclusive to the two airline loyalty programmes, will give members greater access to upgrades and reward seats across the combined domestic and international network of Virgin Australia and Singapore Airlines. By converting their miles, KrisFlyer members will also be able to benefit from Velocity’s range of non-flight redemption rewards.

The new conversion capability will be available to members of both programmes from November as well as an improved online booking capability for Velocity Frequent Flyers to redeem flights on Singapore Airlines and SilkAir.

A range of programme enhancements have also been introduced to both KrisFlyer and Velocity members over the last 12 months and include:

redemption across all classes of travel on Virgin Australia with the inclusion of premium economy and the ability to earn Status Credits on domestic, Trans-Tasman and Pacific Islands codeshare flights operated by Virgin Australia for KrisFlyer members; and
a reduction in the Velocity Points required for Reward Seats on Singapore Airlines and the ability to earn Points on all fare classes with Singapore Airlines and SilkAir for Velocity Frequent Flyer members.

Last edited by Supersonic Swinger; Sep 24, 2014 at 2:07 am Reason: Add media release link
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA:Silver VA:Gold
Surprised how little fuss there has been so far. I haven't seen an email and there is nothing on the website except for the fairly dry press releases on the SIA & VA site. Guess there will be more when the hard numbers come out. Potential for VA to behave more like it is in an alliance (for redemptions at least) which seems to be its big drawback compared to QF for international travellers
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:46 am
Original Member

Should we expect it to be one SQ mile = one VA point?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by leroy11
Should we expect it to be one SQ mile = one VA point?
No. If you look at SYD/MEL-SIN awards, the ratio is about 1.75-1.8 Velocity points = 1 KF mile for the same award.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:35 pm
Original Member

Thanks Lokijuh. I'm not sure if you are comparing the number of points required to redeem for SQ flights in the Velocity versus Krisflyer programs, but it's interesting to note that as part of the points conversion ability announcement that they also announced that the number of points required for Velocity rewards on SQ flights will be reduced so that it is the same as for VA:

a reduction in the Velocity Points required for Reward Seats on Singapore Airlines and the ability to earn Points on all fare classes with Singapore Airlines and SilkAir for Velocity Frequent Flyer members.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by leroy11
Thanks Lokijuh. I'm not sure if you are comparing the number of points required to redeem for SQ flights in the Velocity versus Krisflyer programs, but it's interesting to note that as part of the points conversion ability announcement that they also announced that the number of points required for Velocity rewards on SQ flights will be reduced so that it is the same as for VA:

It doesn't say that, it just says a "reduction", but nothing to imply that the new rates will be in line with KrisFlyer.

If I had to guess, I'd bet the two-tier system for SQ disappearing (given that with a few exceptions they don't release premium cabin space for their long-haul product).
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:24 pm
Original Member

Hi Bedfordrocks

I was not concluding that the Velocity award rates would be the same as Krisflyer. All I was saying was that SQ awards will now likely be redeemable from the less expensive of the two Velocity award charts - see link below

http://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com...bles/index.htm

Sent from my iPad
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:22 pm

Ah looks like my reading comprehension skills could use some work then
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:35 pm
formerly lcag08

Any idea when this will be announced?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by lcag08
Any idea when this will be announced?
AFF research and posts suggests "November"!

(up to 18 days to go ...)
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Interesting. I can see quite a few people here in Singapore using this just to pool miles and status credits, then crediting all miles to KrisFlyer indectly (as long as they introduce a fair ratio).
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
aster they would need an Australian address to set up an account:

5.1.1 An individual is eligible to become a Member if:

(a) they are an individual resident in Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Cook Islands, Vanuatu, Tonga, Solomon Islands, Samoa, Christmas Island or Cocos Island;

http://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com...htm#membership
Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:24 pm

still not there...

Despite this news in september

I can't transfer my kris flyer miles to velocity rewards... ho hum.... poor PR..
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kawoh
Despite this news in september

I can't transfer my kris flyer miles to velocity rewards... ho hum.... poor PR..
Which bit of "from November" isn't clear? As long as it happens IN November there is nothing wrong with the announcement.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: QF SG
The functionality quietly slipped out this morning - the conversion rate is 1.35 VA : 1 KF, 5,000 point minimum transfer.

http://www.pointhacks.com.au/krisfly...nversion-news/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.