Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Technically it states October to December for LAX:

"Virgin Australia's fleet of five Boeing 777s will be refurbished in two waves: from October to December 2015, which is expected to primarily feed the Sydney-LAX and Brisbane-LAX services; and then February-April 2016 to bed down all three of Virgin Australia's international routes including Sydney-Abu Dhabi flights."

So it is plausible that they could show up mid-November on LAX-SYD/BNE.
Awesome. So my flight from LAX to SYD in February should have the new business class.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wisdom
Awesome. So my flight from LAX to SYD in February should have the new business class.
'Should' being the operative word. But it sounds like you have a solid chance!

I also read somewhere that seat maps into next year for the 777 routes all show the old cabin configuration. Wonder when they'll start releasing the new ones?
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I'm watching the seat maps intently as well since I have a late December transpacific flight in Business.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by MattJ
Aug 17th is when the new J Class starts SYD to PER

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austr...unch-august-17
flying this route in on the 31st of August I hope I get to try the new product
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
So, they have five 777s, and they're taking one out of service at a time. They currently use 4 to service daily SYD/BNE-LAX and 1 to fly SYD-AUH 3x weekly, which they'll be taking out of service during refurbs. I'm using the dates that the SYD-AUH service won't run in my analysis below and based on the windows (50 days Oct-Dec and 64 days Feb-Apr I'm assuming the split is 2 aircraft then 3).

Oct 27 -Dec 16 they'll do 2 aircraft serving the LAX routes. That means by Christmas either SYD or BNE will be entirely on reconfigured aircraft, or there will be one flying from each giving a 50/50 chance of having the new configuration.

Then they resume the refurbs on Feb 2, and a third a/c should be finished by the end of Feb (23 Feb if the time is split in thirds). At this point, SYD or BNE are seeing purely new J while the other is getting it half the time (or they do some sort of rotation since both fly to LAX giving about 75% chance on each route). Late March (15 March if the time is split in thirds) the fourth is completed, allowing them to fly all the LAX routes with new J. Finally, the fifth aircraft is completed and resumes flying SYD-AUH on April 7. Of course, all of these dates are based off the assumption they are able to stick to the schedule.

So, it looks like there's a good chance I'll be in the new seats on my LAX-BNE flight the last week of March. I'm not really sure how I feel about that. Trying out brand new seats is kind of cool, and they look quite sleek, but my wife and I are currently in 1AC which seems like a good setup as well if we want to talk during the 14 hour flight.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:49 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

FWIW, one blogger called the virtually identical QR seat "excellent" and another the "best" biz product in the skies. 30" width with the armrests down and 80" pitch with much larger foot cubby than CX J. Maybe some nice bar upgrades too??
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Originally Posted by serfty
I'm watching the seat maps intently as well since I have a late December transpacific flight in Business.
Me too. LAX-BNE Dec 31.
Fingers crossed.
Hopefully someone will post here as soon as the seat maps change.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:57 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I saw this article in the SMH today:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviat...16-gj0f0o.html

Virgin Australia will treat its transcontinental business class passengers to the world's first Nespresso coffee in the sky

Not sure why they are saying this because Cathay Pacific has had Nespresso onboard since at least 2001.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sxc

Not sure why they are saying this because Cathay Pacific has had Nespresso onboard since at least 2001.
According to Australian Business Traveler.

"There's also a new Nespresso coffee service, using the world's first custom-designed Nespresso machine to be fitted to an Airbus A330, which Virgin promises will "deliver the finest coffee in the sky."

So it's the first custom-designed [blah-blah-blah] machine.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:14 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sxc

Looks like the SMH has revised their article:

Virgin Australia will now introduce Australia's first Nespresso machines in the sky
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K, Virgin America Elevate Gold, American Airlines AAdvantage
My SYD-PER flight for this April that was booked via Delta got updated with a new seat map that was viewable from Delta's website. Looking forward to seeing the LAX-SYD flight being updated later this year.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
What's the typical routing on the one upgraded 330 bird?

QF prioritised their new J on the PER-SYD/PER-MEL red-eyes, thus going west for the 8/9am departures.

Wonder what my likelihood of getting it on a 6am west coast departure
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: QF Gold Virgin Aus Plat
Originally Posted by PatMike
Me too. LAX-BNE Dec 31.
Fingers crossed.
Hopefully someone will post here as soon as the seat maps change.
Crossed here too going over very late November and back mid Jan, hoping at least one is on new fitout!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:52 pm

Asked Virgin Australia whether LAX-BNE in March would have new Business Class and they were unable to confirm whether that one would be new or old.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Asked Virgin Australia whether LAX-BNE in March would have new Business Class and they were unable to confirm whether that one would be new or old.
Of course they wouldn't be able to CONFIRM whether it would be new or old. It might be planned for one or the other, but since the rollout is not scheduled to be completed until after then, there is always the possibility that an old fit-out might be subbed. No set configuration is ever guaranteed, unless the fleet is 100% the same.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.