Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia's new A330, B777 business class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thanks.

I set an EF seat alert this weekend and was able to move to 1A this morning!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:49 pm

My wife and I had the opportunity to experience The Business on the 8th of January (VA - 2) and then the return (VA-1) on 29 January.

The pods are very comfortable, spacious, and well thought out. We experienced the stale air someone else wrote about here, but I had purchased two Opolar USB fans for the trip. We plugged them in and that took care of the stale air problem and made it very comfortable to sleep.

I got the 'lucky' side of the cabin on the way to Sydney and she got it on the way back. This means I got a great flight attendant going and she got a great flight attendant on the return. We used the same seats (4D for me and 4G for her). We were in center seating with a sliding divider between us.

I'm not sure why her flight attendant pretty much ignored her on the way and then my 'guy' ignored me on the way back. But, we had a 50% success rating, and this is a first world problem.

My only real criticism is of the guy who worked my side of the aisle on the trip from Sydney to LAX. He seemed overburdened and only able to do one thing at a time, which is very odd for flight attendants and unusual for those working the front of the aircraft.

If a couple is traveling together and being close is important it might be best to book Premium Economy. "The Business" is meant for folks to have their personal space and not be bothered by anyone else.

Meals don't really mean that much to me so I can't really say if anything I had was substandard for the industry.

Would I fly "The Business" again? In a heartbeat, I would.

That said, if I were to travel alone it would be a window seat.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I just finished R/T LAX-BNE on the 777 in J and didn't care for the set. I sleep on both sides and that damn tray table hits me just below the waist. This is currently my least favorite J seat.

As a comparison, I took the Air New Zealand 787 PER-AKL and found it delightful. Your legs don't slip down into a box. It is odd how the window seats face inwards, though.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:51 pm

Space+ experiences

Does anyone have experience sitting in Space+? I have an economy ticket from DL for LAX-SYD and am dreading sitting in an economy seat for such a long flight. I can't seem to figure out any way to upgrade other than to Space+. Are the emergency exit row seats the Space+ seats and are they worth it? Is there any seat pocket style storage at the seat in the emergency exit row seats?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: VA, QF
Can anyone comment on the difference between the front area (row 1-7) and back area (row 8-11)? I heard the back area was busier and had more disturbances. Has anyone been affected by this?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Originally Posted by worldcurious
Does anyone have experience sitting in Space+? I have an economy ticket from DL for LAX-SYD and am dreading sitting in an economy seat for such a long flight. I can't seem to figure out any way to upgrade other than to Space+. Are the emergency exit row seats the Space+ seats and are they worth it? Is there any seat pocket style storage at the seat in the emergency exit row seats?
It's worth it. I just like Main Cabin Extra seats on AA 777-300ER. Extra leg room for such a long flight is well worth the AUD 135 each way. Details at the bottom of this page: https://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en/777Evolution/
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I have an upcoming flight which will be my first experience with the new 777 J product. Currently I'm in 3A. I've read good things about 1A though, and I'm considering switching. I'm a relatively light sleeper so is it really isolated from light near the 1L/R exit area and lavs? Has anyone experience passengers congregating in this area to stretch their legs, wait on a lav to open, etc?

Just curious to hear others' experiences before I make the switch. I basically have my choice of seat in the cabin at this point.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have used 1A and it has been fine - although I do sleep well. There can be noise from upfront this is mainly from staff and is not ongoing.
Xeno likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
I have an upcoming flight which will be my first experience with the new 777 J product. Currently I'm in 3A. I've read good things about 1A though, and I'm considering switching. I'm a relatively light sleeper so is it really isolated from light near the 1L/R exit area and lavs? Has anyone experience passengers congregating in this area to stretch their legs, wait on a lav to open, etc?

Just curious to hear others' experiences before I make the switch. I basically have my choice of seat in the cabin at this point.
I loved this seat. Flew the route right after the refresh last year. I felt 1A was very private. I didn't find it too loud or bright, either, although I always use the eye shade and ear plugs to help bring the sand man. Zzzzzzz...
Xeno likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
I have used 1A and it has been fine - although I do sleep well. There can be noise from upfront this is mainly from staff and is not ongoing.
Originally Posted by mspflier
I loved this seat. Flew the route right after the refresh last year. I felt 1A was very private. I didn't find it too loud or bright, either, although I always use the eye shade and ear plugs to help bring the sand man. Zzzzzzz...
Cool, thanks for the input, I've switched to 1A.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:46 am

http://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/...tional-flights

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-aust...with-free-wifi

http://concourse.gogoair.com/virgin-...nflight-wi-fi/

On November 25, I am flying VA #2 LAX-SYD. The above links give me hope this flight might have Wifi.

I know the chances of free Wifi are remote and I doubt that my iPass (Internet access) will cover this although they do cover most Gogo flights (including international) so what might be the price for Wifi on a 15 hour flight?

Edited to say that if my particular flight has Gogo, iPass claims that my iPass account will work on that flight!

Last edited by Xeno; Nov 8, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
http://newsroom.virginaustralia.com/...tional-flights

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-aust...with-free-wifi

http://concourse.gogoair.com/virgin-...nflight-wi-fi/

On November 25, I am flying VA #2 LAX-SYD. The above links give me hope this flight might have Wifi.

I know the chances of free Wifi are remote and I doubt that my iPass (Internet access) will cover this although they do cover most Gogo flights (including international) so what might be the price for Wifi on a 15 hour flight?

Edited to say that if my particular flight has Gogo, iPass claims that my iPass account will work on that flight!
I'm flying VA8 LAX-BNE two days later. Also really hoping to have WiFi on that flight. Does anyone know which aircraft is(are) actually equipped at this point?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm flying VA8 LAX-BNE two days later. Also really hoping to have WiFi on that flight. Does anyone know which aircraft is(are) actually equipped at this point?
Is there is thread tracking the VA tail numbers with Wifi so we could get an idea of how this might play out?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:22 pm

Where might I find some information about meals on VA 2 (LAX-SYD)?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
Where might I find some information about meals on VA 2 (LAX-SYD)?
Just a heads up... theres no hot food catering out of LAX until further notice. All pax get 3 x $8 vouchers to buy food in the terminal to bring onboard. Economy pax get a cold tuna bowl and some corn flakes for breakfast. Business pax get processed chicken curry and junk food items. The gategourmet listeria issue has really taken a toll. I'm flying to BNE on Wednesday and looks like panda express will be my business meal. Great!

There's several reviews of pax that have been flying since last week and complaining about this. Some weren't even provided any notice until after everyone boarded and they had nothing to eat.

Catering on flights back to LAX are great as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.