Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same Day Change/Standby on VA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Same Day Change/Standby on VA

I am scheduled to leave for Sydney on Friday 4/4 at 10:15 PM. Is it possible to arrive Thursday and hop on an earlier flight?

I have talked to two difference Virgin Australia Agents, one said yes no problem flying standby, the other said it's not possible without getting a new ticket.

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:32 pm

Assuming you mean you're on VA2 LAX-SYD, then turning up the day before will almost certainly require the ticket to be re-validated/re-issued and any penalties/fare difference paid. This can be done at the service desk at the airport before you can check in for the flight. The flight is wide open in terms of availability. But this scenario assumes the ticket was bought direct with VA or is the inbound component of a ticket.

If bought through a TA or a redemption through a partner airline, you'll need to call that POS before you make your way to the airport so that you avoid the surprise of being asked to do just that on the spot (and risk missing the flight if the POS don't re-validate immediatly).

BTW, this isn't really 'standby' in the sense that it's a full flight and you're hoping to snap the last remaining seat. And there aren't earlier flights for VA on Thursday (counting from Friday), because the flight on Thursday is a whole 24 hour before, so doesn't count as 'earlier'.

Last edited by edy4eva; Mar 31, 2014 at 5:53 pm
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Your Virgin status does count.

Plats always seemed to have dispensation for changing flights in my experience whenever I needed to - which was not often, but was handy when I needed it.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta, United
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would pose my question here. On VA there are two flights a day BNE-DPS. Currently, we can get a seat using Delta's Skypesos but on the later flight rather than the earlier flight. Obviously rather a three hour rather than an eight hour layover would be preferable. It would appear that they do allow stand-bys for earlier flights but not sure it that would also apply to those flying on award travel. Any insight would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.