Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Put my mind at ease, please (connection time in SYD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Put my mind at ease, please (connection time in SYD)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1-K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie

If you want to use the VA transfer bus, after you clear immi, quarantine & customs, go to the most extreme left hand side of the int terminal, you will see the VA transfer bus sign. Plead your case, or have some Aud$ with you!

If you can print out your VA boarding pass, see about checking in for the VA flight online, if at all possible.
I transferred UA to VA going to Hamilton Island in August 2013 and at least as of that time the procedure was as follows:

Right after clearing customs (right after the X-ray machines) but IMMEDIATELY before the FINAL automatic door to get out of this area, bear to your left and you will end up in a small hall with check-in desks for VA (and IIRC Jet Star as well??). There was only one person ahead of us in the line, at about 6:45 in the morning. They took our bag and issued the boarding passes (Sydney to Hamilton Island). They also gave us vouchers for the bus, which departed just past these check-in desks. The bus took about 10 minutes to appear and it did take about 15 minutes to get to the domestic terminal. The bus dropped us off at the check-in hall of the domestic terminal, where you have to go back through regular security with everyone else. This took about 10 more minutes at that time of the day (about 7:30am). By the time we were sitting at the food court in the domestic terminal it was about 7:45 am.

So, from international touch-down to being inside the domestic terminal it took us about an hour. However, consider that it was in August (I am assuming the tourist volume in August is lower than other times of the year, am I wrong?), we were lucky with almost no queues, and I haven't accounted for the fact that one would want to be at the gate about half an hour before the flight.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Micara
I transferred UA to VA going to Hamilton Island in August 2013 and at least as of that time the procedure was as follows:

Right after clearing customs (right after the X-ray machines) but IMMEDIATELY before the FINAL automatic door to get out of this area, bear to your left and you will end up in a small hall with check-in desks for VA (and IIRC Jet Star as well??). There was only one person ahead of us in the line, at about 6:45 in the morning. They took our bag and issued the boarding passes (Sydney to Hamilton Island). They also gave us vouchers for the bus, which departed just past these check-in desks. The bus took about 10 minutes to appear and it did take about 15 minutes to get to the domestic terminal. The bus dropped us off at the check-in hall of the domestic terminal, where you have to go back through regular security with everyone else. This took about 10 more minutes at that time of the day (about 7:30am). By the time we were sitting at the food court in the domestic terminal it was about 7:45 am.

So, from international touch-down to being inside the domestic terminal it took us about an hour. However, consider that it was in August (I am assuming the tourist volume in August is lower than other times of the year, am I wrong?), we were lucky with almost no queues, and I haven't accounted for the fact that one would want to be at the gate about half an hour before the flight.
In my own and repeated experience, the check-in desk that you refer to will not take your luggage if it is on two different tickets, which was OP's case...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1-K, AA PLT
Originally Posted by vbroucek
In my own and repeated experience, the check-in desk that you refer to will not take your luggage if it is on two different tickets, which was OP's case...
You most likely have more experience in this than I do. However, in my one and only experience, we were most definitely on two completely different tickets. They took our bags no questions asked.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Micara
You most likely have more experience in this than I do. However, in my one and only experience, we were most definitely on two completely different tickets. They took our bags no questions asked.
+1 for me.

Overall the VA experience isn't as good as Qantas, mainly due to the fact the VA bus travels on the public roads rather than airside like QF, which means that it takes longer, but also means that you clear security at the domestic terminal which is normally a longer wait than at the QF transfer area in International.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.