Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

VA LAX departures to move to TBIT - 1 Dec 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VA LAX departures to move to TBIT - 1 Dec 2013

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:57 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Yep, it's a *A lounge managed by NZ. It's interesting to see VA keep referring to the Star Alliance lounge as if they are somehow associated with the alliance.
Well VA is currently almost owned 50% by 2x star *A airlines with NZ at 23.9 and SQ at 19.9.

Also note this line on the *A website, which none of the other 5 lounges mention the airline running it.

"This lounge is developed and operated in partnership with Air New Zealand."
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by cssaus
There goes the convenience of the airside transfer from T5 to T3 when connecting from Delta but the positives of the move far out weigh any negatives.
I'd hope that the airside bus would now run T5-TBIT, but I don't know if that's the plan or even if TBIT has a suitable bus terminal. The T5-T3 bus was never mentioned anywhere on delta.com or virginaustralia.com that I could find; the only place I ever saw its existence mentioned in writing from the airlines was in the VA in-flight magazine.

In all my travels from LAX to SYD in past years I've never departed out of TBIT. Can any comment on what the quality of the duty free stores inside TBIT?
Well, experience from the past isn't much of a guide, as today's TBIT is a new construction replacing the very bare-bones TBIT of the past. The current one officially opened on September 18.

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Well VA is currently almost owned 50% by 2x star *A airlines with NZ at 23.9 and SQ at 19.9.
But, of course, VA's joint venture partner to the US is Delta, and I think it would be hard if not impossible for them to switch their joint venture to United: UA has more than twice the capacity to Australia that DL does, so I assume the DOT/DOJ would frown on any such joint venture for antitrust reasons. So it's very hard for me to see VA joining *A. SQ and NZ compete much less directly with any SkyTeam airlines, so it's easier for me to see VA joining SkyTeam and retaining those partnerships than joining *A. But I don't think either is likely in the short term.

Last edited by ashill; Dec 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm Reason: Typo fix
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat
Any insight folks? Is a VA boarding pass in J adequate to enter the Star Alliance lounge? And is there any bus/shuttle for going from T5 (Delta) to TBIT for the VA flight?

Originally Posted by gmttr1
I'll shortly be travelling on a Delta ticket, flying SEA-LAX and then feeding onto VA8 (Brisbane) at LAX - all in first/business. Assuming that I get my VA boarding passes from Delta in Seattle, would I still need to show up at T3 for VA check-in, or would I be able to proceed directly to TBIT and enter the *A lounge with a VA J boarding passes?

Thanks much in advance
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Presumably you can check your bags in Seattle all the way through to Brisbane, worth calling Delta to confirm.

You may be fine with your J boarding pass in terms of lounge access. From the VA website:

"From 1 December 2013, Virgin Australia Business class guests, Velocity Platinum and Velocity Gold status members can access the Star Alliance Lounge. Velocity Platinum guests are invited to access the First Class Star Alliance Lounge."

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...l/los-angeles/

What is a bit of an unknown though is you are traveling on a DL ticket and if your boarding pass is issued in Seattle it will presumably be a DL boarding pass. Again, may be worth checking with DL.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:11 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by ashill
Particularly interesting given that Star Alliance elite status doesn't get anyone into the F section
IMHO this is to have parity with QF Platinum/Platinum One members, who can access F-class lounges.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), VA Gold
I flew back on Dec 1 on VA2 to SYD, and was welcomed into the lounge including getting a pamphlet with a map on how to get to the lounge in TBIT, as a VA Gold/J ticket. I flew in to LAX on Frontier, so no through check, etc but checking in at T3 and walking to TBIT was a non-issue (given that it wasn't raining). Word on the street is that check in space in TBIT is coming (I forget the timeframe that I was told though).

The section of TBIT containing the new lounge is in the refurbished section, so looking all sparkly and new. The lounge was nice enough, though I'm now kicking myself for falling from VA Platinum to Gold and missing out on the F lounge!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ichindar
I flew back on Dec 1 on VA2 to SYD, and was welcomed into the lounge including getting a pamphlet with a map on how to get to the lounge in TBIT, as a VA Gold/J ticket. I flew in to LAX on Frontier, so no through check, etc but checking in at T3 and walking to TBIT was a non-issue (given that it wasn't raining). Word on the street is that check in space in TBIT is coming (I forget the timeframe that I was told though).

The section of TBIT containing the new lounge is in the refurbished section, so looking all sparkly and new. The lounge was nice enough, though I'm now kicking myself for falling from VA Platinum to Gold and missing out on the F lounge!
We were on the same flight! I'm a lowly DL Diamond who was on an award ticket on VA. We had a pretty seamless experience with check-in at T3 and then walking to TBIT. The only hitch was that our flight to LA got in around 8am, so we effectively had 12 hours to kill. DL couldn't print our boarding passes at our starting airport, so we couldn't get into the *A lounge early. We had missed the VA T3 desk by a few minutes (they close in the middle of the day/morning) so we ended up heading off airport to explore. Bags were checked through to CNS however, so at least we didn't have bags to deal with.

Coming from a world of DL lounges, the lounge at TBIT was fantastic. Showers were great and the outdoor seating area was great to spend some time on before being stuck in a tube for 12+ hours.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Bumping this to see if the situation with T5 (DL) to TBIT has changed. Suspect still no airside transfer and must go landside and do security again?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: Velocity Platinum, UA MM
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Bumping this to see if the situation with T5 (DL) to TBIT has changed. Suspect still no airside transfer and must go landside and do security again?
The transfer from T5 to TBIT is available at gate 52B, has been for a while. The only condition is that you must be holding a BP for your VA flight to be allowed to use the service.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Thanks. One thing to note for future readers of this thread is that the bus is not all that big - it's like a small American school bus. They only allow 40 pax on. Tonight there was more than that so some had to either wait for the next one or do the walk. It'd be a good idea to loiter right near the stairs.

BP's weren't checked incidentally, just a "going to Brisbane?"
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Deleted.

Nevermind, realized check-in is at T3 and then walk to TBIT!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Platinum New Name: KeepClimbingEd
On an upcoming trip to LAX-SYD, I have a choice between the *A lounge (flying in J class) and the KE lounge (using Priority Pass). Any recommendations for which one to use? And, why?

Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:21 am

The NZ lounge has hot food while the KE lounge has finger sandwiches and instant noodles. Both have showers.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, TK Elite, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, SW Preferred, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Etihad Gold Elite
Flying Virgin Australia: LAX-SYD-CHC

Heres the question:

Im ticketed on Virgin Australia from LAX-SYD-CHC in economy. (SYD-CHC is on Air New Zealand)

I have Star Alliance Gold and Etihad Gold.

Virgin Australia utilizes the Star Alliance lounge for Intl Departures in TBIT. I know if this was Air New Zealand ticket, I would be fine for the star alliance lounge. But since this is VA- Will i still have access?

And Can i use the NZ lounge in SYD with my star gold access?

I bring up my Etihad gold because they are partners with Virgin Australia and recognize their status. A status benefit written says lounge access. But since this isn't a Virgin Australia Lounge, I am not sure..

Help!!

Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by KGDIII
Heres the question:

Im ticketed on Virgin Australia from LAX-SYD-CHC in economy. (SYD-CHC is on Air New Zealand)

I have Star Alliance Gold and Etihad Gold.

Virgin Australia utilizes the Star Alliance lounge for Intl Departures in TBIT. I know if this was Air New Zealand ticket, I would be fine for the star alliance lounge. But since this is VA- Will i still have access?

And Can i use the NZ lounge in SYD with my star gold access?

I bring up my Etihad gold because they are partners with Virgin Australia and recognize their status. A status benefit written says lounge access. But since this isn't a Virgin Australia Lounge, I am not sure..

Help!!

Thanks!
At SYD you should be able to use the NZ lounge using your *A status, because it's an NZ-operated flight.

At LAX, your *A won't get you in because it's a VA-operated flight. Etihad status will get you into all domestic VA lounges but I don't think it gets you into partner lounges. So I think you might be out of luck at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.