Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

New Virgin Thought Bubble - "make us a cash offer to upgrade your flight"

New Virgin Thought Bubble - "make us a cash offer to upgrade your flight"

Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
5 Pax?

There's only eight seats in total ... I can only wish you luck ...
Old Jun 7, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by serfty
5 Pax?

There's only eight seats in total ... I can only wish you luck ...
I'm not sure how accurate those counts are. I did a $155 (the minimum amount) upgrade bid for travel last week MEL-SYD. When I bid it showed 4 seats remaining (ie. half full) so I expected not to win my bid. Of course I did win it, and not right on the 24 hour limit either. When I traveled only 5 seats were occupied which may mean the original count was correct. However you just can't tell since Virgin will change a flight (bring a booking forward) at check-in on request, plus J seats can always have a flight changed, so not clear whether those were the original bookings with nothing changed
Old Sep 5, 2015, 10:15 pm

Recent upgrade success?

I've just made a bid for an upcoming BNE-HBA flight on Virgin Australia. The minimum bid was USD$115pp. Any recent success using the minimum bid? For some reason I was offered the bid in USD which I guess is because the ticket was purchased in the USA. Looks like 5 seats left at the moment.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
Bumping this with a question -- I'm flying PER-MEL later this month on VA 690. Booked through an online TA for $174 US in S class. Have a bid in for an upgrade -- any thoughts on what is reasonable to get me upgraded. Purchased business class ticket for the same flight is almost $1400 US.
Thanks.
Did you get the upgrade? I'm flying PER-SYD and I made a bid for
$440 - minimum value.
Still expensive for a minimum bid...

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I just got an offer PER-MEL on a red-eye. Minimum bid is $395 AUD. It is quite high for a min bid, (DPS-PER is a similar length with a min bid of $250 AUD) but may put it in just to see what happens.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I just got an offer PER-MEL on a red-eye. Minimum bid is $395 AUD. It is quite high for a min bid, (DPS-PER is a similar length with a min bid of $250 AUD) but may put it in just to see what happens.
But isn't it 738 vs. 330?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
In a few weeks I'm flying SYD-PER-SYD on a VA operated flight, but issued as a DL code share (part of a more elaborate itinerary). Has anyone had experience with a cash to upgrade offer on such a flight? The web site says the itinerary is ineligible, but could one ask at the counter or receive an offer closer to departure time?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:31 pm

Basically you don't receive offers, you make bids. Have you tried emailing them direct? Asking at the counter is most likely going to cost you the difference between what you paid and the full J fare

Or you could try this link https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...e/premium-bid/

Last edited by RTWFF; Nov 28, 2015 at 2:36 pm
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by YYCOllie
But isn't it 738 vs. 330?
Yes, something I hadn't realized. PER-MEL is a 330 with lie flat seats. That makes a lot more sense why they ask for more $$.

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I'm not sure how accurate those counts are.
He said there were 8 seats TOTAL. That is definitely accurate for the 737, no question.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, and major hotels
Basically you don't receive offers, you make bids. Have you tried emailing them direct? Asking at the counter is most likely going to cost you the difference between what you paid and the full J fare

Or you could try this link https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...e/premium-bid/
Thanks, checked the url, website says no. Itinerary is ineligible. I'll see if emailing is possible.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
He said there were 8 seats TOTAL. That is definitely accurate for the 737, no question.
If you'd bothered with the context, it was clear I was referring to the availability count of "5 PAX" that "he said"
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:52 am

If you'd bothered with the context, it was clear I was referring to the availability count of "5 PAX" that "he said"
If you had bothered with context you'd see that 5 pax are the number of passengers that need an upgrade.

Poster said they have 5 passengers to upgrade, next post said there were only 8 seats, so that is going to be tough. Which count do you not believe? They both seem pretty concrete counts to me.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:54 am

FYI, I was successful at $385 AUD PER-MEL.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mondo
In a few weeks I'm flying SYD-PER-SYD on a VA operated flight, but issued as a DL code share (part of a more elaborate itinerary). Has anyone had experience with a cash to upgrade offer on such a flight? The web site says the itinerary is ineligible, but could one ask at the counter or receive an offer closer to departure time?
I just got back from AUS, flew SYD-BNE-MEL-SYD all on DL codeshares. I was able to make bids on all of them online once I got my VA record locater from DL.

Only one we got was BNE-MEL (the one I wanted anyways) for $145 AUD each, the min bid. Just wanted a chance to try out their first class, wasn't really worth it otherwise.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:51 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Hi all,

First time flying VA in a couple of weeks & received an email this morning about upgrading via a bid.

I've never come across this before, and having scanned this thread, I'm guessing there's a minimum bid.

We're flying Sydney-Cairns, 2 of us in economy, does anyone know what the minimum bid needs to be?

Many thanks

Exit: just checked and its AUD $185 each, not sure I'll bother for a short flight!

Last edited by LadyB; Jan 21, 2016 at 1:59 am Reason: To add comment

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.