Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Qantas drops business class for domestic Perth flights (not a joke)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold

OT - Qantas has announced that A330s will operate weekdays between SYD/MEL and PER, equipped with premium-economy seating in what used to be the business-class cabin.

Pictured here. Yes that isn't the economy section, it's the front cabin.

The 36 domestic business seats will be ripped out of Qantas' existing A330's and replaced with the 42 economy-style seats. Initially the very middle seat is to be blocked off leaving 36 sellable seats, so there is no capacity improvement, just a downgrade in hardware.

This configuration is identical to the JetStar A330, suggesting the motive is to be able to more easily substitute between Jetstar and Qantas metal.

Edit - this front cabin will continue to be marketed as business class by Qantas, initally. Just don't expect a business seat.

Status-match for Virgin, anyone?

Last edited by harryhv; Nov 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm
Old Nov 25, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by harryhv
The 36 domestic business seats will be ripped out of Qantas' existing A330's and replaced with the 42 economy-style seats. Initially the very middle seat is to be blocked off leaving 36 sellable seats, so there is no capacity improvement, just a downgrade in hardware.
Not that this has anything to do with Virgin.....

I assume you are referring to EBM/EBN as having seats ripped out. Can you provide a reference to where Qantas have said they are going to do this?

The newly delivered EBV matches the existing configuration of EBO/EBP, so it's not them you are talking about.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by perthite
Not that this has anything to do with Virgin....
Let's wait for the other shoe to drop.

Suppose we don't hear a barrage of publicity from Virgin about the demise of QF's biz class seating to PER...

...That would indicate, IMO, that a truce has been reached and DJ will shortly downgrade their biz cabin to PE for PER flights, freeing the fancy biz class planes to operate international routes.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond

Suppose we don't hear a barrage of publicity from Virgin about the demise of QF's biz class seating to PER...

...That would indicate, IMO, that a truce has been reached and DJ will shortly downgrade their biz cabin to PE for PER flights, freeing the fancy biz class planes to operate international routes.
But which seats are being ripped out? This is a new plane with a config matching two other A330s in the Qantas domestic fleet.

It's not a new configuration.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 4:34 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

I wonder why you would think that?

As far as I can see, JB has been doing everything he can to enhance the DJ product while quietly grinding his heel into QF...

There has been a significant build of transcontinental expectation of DJ service, I doubt he would want to jeopardise that yet, maybe in a couple more years when the yields are closer to equal.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:04 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
OT - Qantas has announced that A330s will operate weekdays between SYD/MEL and PER, equipped with premium-economy seating in what used to be the business-class cabin.

Pictured here. Yes that isn't the economy section, it's the front cabin.

This configuration is identical to the JetStar A330, suggesting the motive is to be able to more easily substitute between Jetstar and Qantas metal.

Edit - this front cabin will continue to be marketed as business class by Qantas, initally. Just don't expect a business seat.

Status-match for Virgin, anyone?
Ok, getting around the hyperbole, QF has NOT announced that they are ditching Business Class, just that the new aircraft has a product which does not meet YOUR definition of business class.

Whilst I agree that this new product is a huge way below what was previously offered it is still better than what you will get on what is laughingly called "First Class" on airlines of the other 50 states. Not sure what DJ offers on this route, not having flown it, but QF J is still superior to DJ flights on short sectors (flew DJ in J SYD-MEL last week, I want a refund!)

Dave
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by thadocta
... Not sure what DJ offers on this route, not having flown it, but QF J is still superior to DJ flights on short sectors (flew DJ in J SYD-MEL last week, I want a refund!)

Dave
Coast to Coast DJ A330 flights have PDB (Juice, Water, Champagne¹), multi course meal (with selections of 2 starters, 4 mains, dessert choice, cheese & port/liqueurs²), true N/C headphones, personal IFE, mix of sloped/horizontal³ flat seats.

¹ Not domestic Sparkling
² "Supper" on red eyes.
³ Depending on the aircraft - currently 3 horizontal and 2 sloped configurations.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by thadocta
QF J is still superior to DJ flights on short sectors (flew DJ in J SYD-MEL last week, I want a refund!)
I wouldn't agree with an assertion that VA is superior to QF in business class. I would class DJ as good as QF and typically better due to likelihood of having an empty seat adjacent with, ime, the price for VA business class being lower
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I am confused by all the ping pong above - QF has - or has not - announced plans for no biz class SYD-PER?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:13 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I am confused by all the ping pong above - QF has - or has not - announced plans for no biz class SYD-PER?
No. The thread title is misleading and should be changed.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Basically with current schedules (and aside from a few positioning 333 flights) the best you can hope for in Business class on QF between the east and west coast are the same seats Qantas sell as Premium Economy internationally.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Title should be changed.
Thread should be locked.

Does not belong in DJ forum.Already being discussed in QF one.

out.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Unsubscribe.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Please follow discussions about Qantas Airways in the Qantas Frequent Flyer Forum.

Thank you,

JDiver, Senior Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.