Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 26, 12, 2:24 am   #1

Free drinks for adults only?

When I flew on Virgin Australia, I had free meals and drinks. I was so shocked to hear that wine and water are free whereas soft drinks and juices are for sale. What's wrong with that?? lol

I feel that it's not fair for the kids and others. They should give them free drinks for them as well.

Your thoughts?
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:13 am   #2

Programs: NZ *G
Why can't kids drink water?
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 12, 4:21 am   #3

Programs: VA, QFF
hahaha, love it trooper!

bluesky, everything is free international long haul. well all inclusive really, because its included in cost of the ticket.

VA provides free booze on weekday domestic flights between state capital cities 4pm to 7pm. These flights are predominantly 'business' flights, so not many kids onboard (although some business types have been known to act like them). i've never knocked back the free booze when offered, but im sure you could ask for a soft drink. Whether you'd get it, im not sure
Dontprocrastinateaviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 6:38 am   #4

lol... sorry i mean...

We know that kids don't like water - they like soft drinks and juice more than water.

Soft drinks aren't free either.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 9:55 am   #5

Programs: QF LTG, SQ PPS, NZ/BD/Hilton/SPG Gold
I wondered that too, if true definite favoritism for the non-teetotalers! A bit like in lounges where you can imbibe in a huge variety of bottled beers or some reasonable wines, yet if you want a coke it's cheap cheap cheap and you have to put up with crappy post-mix (not the only guilty party on this score).
lokijuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 12, 6:13 am   #6
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), US & BA Emerald, EY Silv, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
I was so shocked to hear that wine and water are free whereas soft drinks and juices are for sale. What's wrong with that?? lol
QF serves free wine/beer on CityFlyer flights after 4pm weekdays. To compete for corporate traffic DJ matched this offer... But as a low cost carrier they charge for soft drinks (other than water/tee/coffee), so you have a pretty unique situation when you are 'forced' to drink alcohol
Old Jul 28, 12, 11:08 pm   #7

Programs: Mucci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPJ View Post
QF serves free wine/beer on CityFlyer flights after 4pm weekdays. To compete for corporate traffic DJ matched this offer... But as a low cost carrier they charge for soft drinks (other than water/tee/coffee), so you have a pretty unique situation when you are 'forced' to drink alcohol
Yeah, they have to hold me down and force my mouth open to make me consume it.

Dave