Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Amount of business seats allocated for upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF Platinum (56% LTS), Europcar Privilege Elite VIP

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how many seats DJ allocate for upgrades in business class on their 737-800's? Since there are only 8, I was assuming maybe 4?

Cheers
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
DJ don't make that information publicly available and it can very depending on the route/time/demand.

You can call and ask?

I believe, the domestic booking class is Q.

I have found that H class (Business reward) availability tends to indicate Q class is likely to be available.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
think its more than 4, based on when i have been upgraded and gone to seat selection, but i suspect its a black-art yield management program.

I am 6 of 7 on flights requested to upgrade on syd-bne returns so pretty decent availability.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Yes I think an 8am weekday is going to be tougher than 11am.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Too many

Depends on the route. I'm trying for Mel to Phuket with no luck at the moment
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
SYD LAX Business class award & upgrade availability

Bumping an old thread as can't find this elsewhere.

Has anyone else noticed that since the re-furb of the 777 premium/Business cabins on SYD LAX route, there is very little to NO availability for award or upgrades especially in Business class?

I have been looking for over 4 months and still on the waitlist - so far nothing.

We are travelling outside of NSW school holiday periods so I thought we might have a good chance, but maybe not.

Any insights would be helpful. Thanks .
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the last few months seats on the transpacific flights have been beginning to show up at 300-310 days, not the 331 nor as plentiful as in the past. Also, any that do show are snapped up pretty quickly.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:04 pm

SYD LAX Business class award & upgrade availability

Thanks Serfty .

Unfortunately due to health issues I was not certain of my travel plans until recently. So I was not early enough and only started looking for space about 4 months out and booked my ticket early November.

We travel at the beginning of February 2017. I managed to get one Premium Y award for my travel partner (no status) but no upgrade available for me as yet.

It was one of the main reasons I was trying to keep my Gold, so I can upgrade on the long haul flights, but it is not easy to get the upgrades these days with the new cabin.

VA agents have told me their system does not search for the upgrade to Business automatically until 10 days or 4 days ex departure (depends which agent you speak with ).

I have been checking as much as I can but its a bit of a disappointment if you are on an upgrade waitlist, that VA don't just clear you automatically based on time on list, when something becomes available. Oh well. Back to checking in an OCD way .
Old Dec 5, 2016, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
... I have been checking as much as I can but its a bit of a disappointment if you are on an upgrade waitlist, that VA don't just clear you automatically based on time on list, when something becomes available. Oh well. Back to checking in an OCD way .
Expert Flyer promotes you can now search for VA Business awards and set alerts. I am not sure of it's effectiveness as the couple of tests I set did not trigger.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Expert Flyer promotes you can now search for VA Business awards and set alerts. I am not sure of it's effectiveness as the couple of tests I set did not trigger.
Thanks. Still not cleared.

I am guessing my return flight LAX SYD will be even more challenging given that I will be in the USA, and would need to call VA if I do see anything pop up and they are not open 24 hours a day.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You can talk to a VA agent 24/7. Just not the Velocity desk. IME the agents available off-hours aren't the best, but it might be worth a try.

Also you can upgrade with points online, right? I haven't been able to make that work but I think it because I use a TA.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Russian Roulette stuff, it really is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.