Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 12, 12, 7:45 pm   #1

Using velocity pts, does cost keep going up?

Our brother in law gifted us 400,000 velocity pts to fly to America (from BNE) for Christmas. Before he did this I checked the pts needed for ANY SEAT and it was going to be about 522,000 total (we had 200,000 between us already). When I checked today it's gone up to 639,300 total for 2 adults and 1 infant. My question is, do the amount of pts fluctuate like ticket prices, or will the points needed for the Any seat option continue to rise? I don't want to panic buy and overspend 100,000 pts if they might go back down.

thanks!!!
AmeriAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 12, 1:22 am   #2
Ambassador

Programs: VA Plat, AB Gold, AF/KL Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriAus View Post
Our brother in law gifted us 400,000 velocity pts to fly to America (from BNE) for Christmas. Before he did this I checked the pts needed for ANY SEAT and it was going to be about 522,000 total (we had 200,000 between us already). When I checked today it's gone up to 639,300 total for 2 adults and 1 infant. My question is, do the amount of pts fluctuate like ticket prices, or will the points needed for the Any seat option continue to rise? I don't want to panic buy and overspend 100,000 pts if they might go back down.
The ANY SEAT cost is directly related to the ticket price. It will go up/down with the price of tickets on sale. Given Xmas is a busy time it's likely to go up over time.

The reward seat prices are fixed and are either available or not depending on the fare buckets.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 12, 8:35 am   #3

Programs: AA EXP, CX Gold, VA Gold, TK Gold, EY Gold, HH Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Any seat rewards on velocity are hardly ever competitive. If there are no standard seat offerings showing up on the website, give velocity a call as the website is poor.
FormalHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 12, 10:38 pm   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormalHall View Post
Any seat rewards on velocity are hardly ever competitive. If there are no standard seat offerings showing up on the website, give velocity a call as the website is poor.
Would the points to book flights be different if I phone them?? There have not been any reward flights on offer for the past month when I have been watching it. The lowest I have seen the pts total BNE-BOS return for 2 adults at christmas was 552,000. I wish I'd booked it that day as now its over 650,000 for our dates so I'll just keep watching it to go back down.
Old Jul 4, 12, 12:14 am   #5
Ambassador

Programs: VA Plat, AB Gold, AF/KL Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriAus View Post
Would the points to book flights be different if I phone them?? There have not been any reward flights on offer for the past month when I have been watching it. The lowest I have seen the pts total BNE-BOS return for 2 adults at christmas was 552,000. I wish I'd booked it that day as now its over 650,000 for our dates so I'll just keep watching it to go back down.
Yes, standard award seats don't show up for US connections as partner award seats don't show up. You should look for a flight to LAX only (although you may struggle to find one at Xmas) and see what you can get on the phone for the LAX-BOS leg or just call up and ask about both.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 12, 4:43 pm   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
Yes, standard award seats don't show up for US connections as partner award seats don't show up. You should look for a flight to LAX only (although you may struggle to find one at Xmas) and see what you can get on the phone for the LAX-BOS leg or just call up and ask about both.
Thanks! I tried to call yesterday but hung up after 10mins on hold. I had a look this morning and they had premium seats BNE-LAX for 479K for two adults - we want to pay NOTHING (We have 600,000pts). We will have an infant when we go as well (should be about 10wks old) are there bassinets in Premium?

We wanted to keep the USA domestic flights on the same itinerary as the international flight incase there is bad weather in Dec/Jan in Boston which is OFTEN the case (I grew up there). I would hate to miss our LAX-BNE flight home to Aus if we cannot get out of Boston because of snow or freezing rain. We also get more baggage allowance on Virgin than with Delta, so want that to carry over.

Does the call centre charge fees for booking on the phone? I haven't ever booked on the phone - always online paying and have never booked using pts.

thanks in advance!

Last edited by AmeriAus; Jul 4, 12 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jul 5, 12, 4:46 pm   #7

I did call and was told the same rates that I could see on the velocity site.

I tried to book PE Reward BNE-LAX return on the same itinerary as LAX-BOS (connecting with BNE-LAX same dates) in Any Seat category but was told this was not possible unfortunately. We want all flights on the same itinerary to get the better baggage policy of VA (and avoid paying for bags on Delta) and piece of mind if a flight was cancelled/delayed.

So I'm now waiting for the Any Seat fares to come down a little...