Does shopandearn.com.au ever work?

Old Oct 5, 2011, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Does shopandearn.com.au ever work?

A few months ago, I decided to make some ebay purchases through Virgin's shopping portal and see how it goes. I've used those kind of sites many times when in the USA to earn extra credit on AA, UA, etc, and seldom have a problem. They always have a dedicated email or web form to report ones that don't go through.

Virgin's site appears to be worse than useless. None of my purchases ever credited. I tried following up and it's a total pain. No web form for the information that they need. No dedicated email to enquire to either. I reported the problem and was asked to provide details, including "(email confirmation) for the above", so I did.

3 weeks later (!), they emailed back: "To assist us with this process could you please forward the "Proof or Purchase' in PDF or JPEG format, as the text format which you have sent to us earlier was unable to provide us with the required details." Inane. They asked for email confirmation in the first place and those never come in PDF or JPEG format! It's just text/HTML. Anyhow, I went onto ebay.com.au, screen-captured the proof of purchase and emailed it to them. That was almost 3 months ago. No reply and no points credited.

Does this site ever work properly? Is there some other email address to contact, as [email protected] clearly have no clue?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It's very hit and miss ... I HAVE GIVEN UP!.

See this appropriately titled thread from AFF:
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:58 pm
Company Representative - Virgin Australia

Programs: Velocity Frequent Flyer
e-store

Hi Kremmen,
Sorry to read of your frustrations regarding the newly named "e-store" (yours to Serfty!)

The key to earning points through the e-store partners is to ensure that you go to the e-store website everytime and follow the process correctly when making your purchase. Bookmarking particular pages won't allow for the correct tracking tags to be attached to your booking hence the issues you are having.

In saying that, you may have followed the process correctly and it still hasn't processed correctly - we are fully aware that this may occur.

We can appreciate your frustrations at the claiming points taking so long.

You should be able to contact the Velocity Member call centre and the team there will be able to assist, and they may request more information for it to be processed.

If you would like to PM me your velocity number and the vendor you purchased from, I can escalate this now.

Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2011, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Virgin Australia
The key to earning points through the e-store partners is to ensure that you go to the e-store website everytime and follow the process correctly when making your purchase.
No, the key to it is for Virgin Australia to ensure that its web site works correctly and that, when a partner fails to capture the purchase data, there is a clean, fast, efficient means to get credit.

Have a look at ebates.com if you'd like an example of how to do it properly. e.g. Your site tells me my "favourite" store is ebay, so it obviously knows that's where I clicked through to. It could have remembered the dates and given unique transaction IDs to my visits and it could tell me those on the site, but it doesn't do anything useful like that.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen
No, the key to it is for Virgin Australia to ensure that its web site works correctly and that, when a partner fails to capture the purchase data, there is a clean, fast, efficient means to get credit.

Have a look at ebates.com if you'd like an example of how to do it properly. e.g. Your site tells me my "favourite" store is ebay, so it obviously knows that's where I clicked through to. It could have remembered the dates and given unique transaction IDs to my visits and it could tell me those on the site, but it doesn't do anything useful like that.
No purchases have been tracked for the transaction in question, but we have awarded you the points in good faith.

The correct process for earning points:

1. Login
Login to Velocity Global eStore before you start shopping.
To ensure your Velocity Points are awarded to your Account, please make sure you have your internet browser cookies enabled
Cookies will track your path from Velocity Global eStore to the retailer’s website and enable Velocity to allocate the Points you earn from your purchase.
2. Shop Online
Browse through the categories and start shopping at your favourite retailers
3. Earn Points
Once you have made a purchase you will receive an email from us advising that your Points are pending, within 60 days your Points will be allocated to your Velocity Account.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virgin Australia
No purchases have been tracked for the transaction in question, but we have awarded you the points in good faith.
Thanks for that.

And it could have all ended amicably at that point, but you decided to add this ...

... To ensure your Velocity Points are awarded to your Account, please make sure you have your internet browser cookies enabled ...

Hope that helps!
Oh, yeah, that's as helpful as the proverbial fart in a spacesuit.

It may come as a shock but, no, an attempt to blame the customer for your system's faults is not helpful.

I've used the equivalent shopping sites for a number of overseas airlines and Virgin Australia's is by far the worst I've ever come across. I don't know why you keep telling me to ensure cookies are enabled. I haven't turned cookies off. Many sites don't work at all without cookies, including all the other purchase tracking sites I've used successfully in the past. You might just as usefully tell me to breathe air.

The procedure for making claims when your system/ebay don't do it automatically is abysmal. Having to make such requests to your general email means we get replies from anonymous, untraceable agents, who make conflicting requests which waste their own time and ours. They have wasted more of my time, and their own, than the points are worth. The only helpful further comment you could have made would have been to report that you were fixing any of these issues.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 5:46 pm

Thanks for that.

And it could have all ended amicably at that point, but you decided to add this ...

It may come as a shock but, no, an attempt to blame the customer for your system's faults is not helpful.

I've used the equivalent shopping sites for a number of overseas airlines and Virgin Australia's is by far the worst I've ever come across. I don't know why you keep telling me to ensure cookies are enabled. I haven't turned cookies off. Many sites don't work at all without cookies, including all the other purchase tracking sites I've used successfully in the past. You might just as usefully tell me to breathe air.

The procedure for making claims when your system/ebay don't do it automatically is abysmal. Having to make such requests to your general email means we get replies from anonymous, untraceable agents, who make conflicting requests which waste their own time and ours. They have wasted more of my time, and their own, than the points are worth. The only helpful further comment you could have made would have been to report that you were fixing any of these issues.
No blame intended, but as I'm sure many other people will read this thread there is no harm in reiterating what needs to be done for points to be tracked by us and our partners.

We are always looking at ways of making processes better, so rest assured your words have been taken on board.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:17 am

+1

You said it so well, Kremmen. We have completely given up on this site. Shop-and-NOT-Earn seem to be a bunch of dilettantes, and the points almost always have to be chased, often with no results. We tried them a few times a couple of years ago and gave up. Then a few months ago I found the above-mentioned thread on AFF and figured I'd give it one more try. Well, we're still waiting for the points for our small Dell purchase since mid-July. We contacted their so-called customer service twice, and each time they requested proof of purchase, which we sent twice, and we never heard anything again or seen any points. Meanwhile, when we had to make the next (much bigger) electronics purchase, we went to Dick Smith and got QF points automatically. What I don't understand is why DJ/Velocity is associated with such a fourth-rate e-commerce portal... It really doesn't make Velocity look good...

We have been regularly spending thousands of $$$ every year on US-based web sites (airlines, hotels, ebates, fatwallet, etc.) for more than a decade now, and, while there have been occasional hiccups - which were eventually resolved, we have never had such consistently sub-par results as with this site.

On the Velocity site there is a mention of Westfield.com.au joining the program soon. I don't know if it's meant to replace their current shopping partner, but I certainly hope they have a decently designed program, and a way to really resolve missing credit issues.

Thanks for that.

Last edited by honu; Oct 26, 2011 at 7:28 am
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:17 pm

Sorry for digging up old thread, but I am quite cuirous to know if any of you have gotten a better outcome from Velocity recentrly?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:30 am

Tried again after we were contacted by the Virgin rep at AFF: Apple posted without intervention (but it took more than 90 days instead of 60). Of our two December Dell purchases, one finally posted, after 90 days and sending the info at least twice, the other has not. Which reminds me, we'll have to contact them again...

It's still our online mall of last resort...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:18 pm

Sorry to hear that, honu. I know I should study AFF's thread before posting my comment here, but one thing makes me a real wonder. I also have pending points. On the pending points screen, there is a sentence "The time it takes to register as ‘approved’ is determined entirely by the retailers and can take up to 60 days." Is it true? Is this all partner retailers' fault or Velocity is misleading its members by stating this way...?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by sushiinSYD
Sorry to hear that, honu. I know I should study AFF's thread before posting my comment here, but one thing makes me a real wonder. I also have pending points. On the pending points screen, there is a sentence "The time it takes to register as ‘approved’ is determined entirely by the retailers and can take up to 60 days." Is it true? Is this all partner retailers' fault or Velocity is misleading its members by stating this way...?
Not sure who's more at fault here. Dell seem to be a lot of trouble, whereas Apple posted without intervention (if a bit later than promised). To be fair, S&E CS seem to be a bit more responsive now than when they first started. They do reply, even if they end up requesting the same confirmation info more than once. Some vendors are not very responsive, though. AFAIK, Dell have been participating in S&E for a long time, but having their points post is like pulling teeth... YMMV, as they say (or should it be YPMV?)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
neither appliances on-line nor Dell have come through - I have given up...
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:40 am

Oh dear... I should be screaming with joy once my points ever credited, then

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.