DL to buy 49% stake in VS (from SQ)

Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
DL to buy 49% stake in VS (from SQ)

The deal has just been announced..............$360m for a 49% stake.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Full details here:

http://news.delta.com/index.php?s=43&item=1822

No mention of Virgin joining SkyTeam.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by ian001
Full details here:

No mention of Virgin joining SkyTeam.
I'm sure Skyteam will happen soon enough!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC

Last edited by MM00LL2; Dec 11, 2012 at 6:43 am Reason: Guess you knew that already :)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I'll split the announcement news off into their own thread with a new title so it's apparent the deal is done.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Virgin Flying Club
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:07 am

I'm flying STL-ORD(AA)-LHR(VS) in May, same for return, booked as one ticket on Orbitz. Would this have any effect on me?
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: A few
Glad to see a deal is finally done. This should be an interesting JV and from my perspective puts a new lease of life into Virgin Atlantic.

One would assume SkyTeam integration would be forthcoming too though when exactly is anybody's guess
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by t325
I'm flying STL-ORD(AA)-LHR(VS) in May, same for return, booked as one ticket on Orbitz. Would this have any effect on me?
I don't see how. You are already ticketed. I suppose there could be route realignments, but DL are buying a share in VS, not control.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Jenbel
I don't see how. You are already ticketed. I suppose there could be route realignments, but DL are buying a share in VS, not control.
deal won't be done until end of 2013 so no impact at all would be my guess
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:30 am

Very good point. I suspect we might need to sticky that statement
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
No AF-KL contamination, as was rumoured over the last few days.

SkyTeam or not - and not for as long as possible - crediting DL flights to Flying Club is far more useful than devaluation of VS miles in SkyTeam, for me at least.

Delta's announcement concentrates on the transatlantic advantages of the agreement, barely mentioning other VS routes. I hope they they won't be cannibalised.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Roger
No AF-KL contamination, as was rumoured over the last few days.

SkyTeam or not - and not for as long as possible - crediting DL flights to Flying Club is far more useful than devaluation of VS miles in SkyTeam, for me at least.

Delta's announcement concentrates on the transatlantic advantages of the agreement, barely mentioning other VS routes. I hope they they won't be cannibalised.
VS are evaluating Skyteam membership independant of this deal - though I suspect it wont be long before they join.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
Originally Posted by ANstar
VS are evaluating Skyteam membership independant of this deal - though I suspect it wont be long before they join.
Why would they when SQ had 49% they didn't goto *A. I hope the bean counters @DL don't nickel and dime too much so that VS doesn't lose it's character.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by davewho??
Why would they when SQ had 49% they didn't goto *A. I hope the bean counters @DL don't nickel and dime too much so that VS doesn't lose it's character.
Well SQ were not a very active shareholder, lets be honest. I believe they were just looking at having a stake in the western travel market. But now things have changed, Middle East carriers have changed alot too.

Delta on the other hand have from the get go said lets have a JV and work closely together! Just saw the webinar of the press conference it looks like it si all go from both sides with loads of enthusiasm.

The geography of VS/DL is also much suited to a closer relationship than that of SQ/VS.

In saying that SQ are always rumoured to be on the outer side of STAR, whereas DL is a founding member... so I would expect DL to be pushing for Skyteam entrance fromt heir 3 board members on the VS board.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ritz Rewards
Originally Posted by ANstar
Well SQ were not a very active shareholder, lets be honest. I believe they were just looking at having a stake in the western travel market. But now things have changed, Middle East carriers have changed alot too.

Delta on the other hand have from the get go said lets have a JV and work closely together! Just saw the webinar of the press conference it looks like it si all go from both sides with loads of enthusiasm.

The geography of VS/DL is also much suited to a closer relationship than that of SQ/VS.

In saying that SQ are always rumoured to be on the outer side of STAR, whereas DL is a founding member... so I would expect DL to be pushing for Skyteam entrance fromt heir 3 board members on the VS board.
I agree with the geography VS/DL but I'm afraid I'm still not convinced on the Skyteam membership. It would be a while off anyway. But VS has never previously joined any alliance and has opted for code shares rather than membership

Last edited by davewho??; Dec 11, 2012 at 9:59 am Reason: Typo correct

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.