Search

Miles Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Miles Upgrades

Hi,

I have a restricted premium economy booking, that i'd like to upgrade if possible. I know that it's impossible to do before the flight, as it's not a upgradeable class of ticket, but would that matter when I get to the airport and ask there?

Cheers
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:25 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
It all depends on the day and on particular route, good luck. Haven't heard many succussful stories recently.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
First thing they're LIKELY to do is make you up it (with cash) to an upgradable class, and THEN take the 20k (depending on route) miles off you for the PE>Upper leg.

In which case, it can sometimes work out more cost effective to ask if they're doing any straight cash upgrades on the day.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
You don't have anything to lose simply by asking. If PE is overbooked on the day of travel then you may have a chance.

P.S. Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by preiffer
First thing they're LIKELY to do is make you up it (with cash) to an upgradable class, and THEN take the 20k (depending on route) miles off you for the PE>Upper leg.

In which case, it can sometimes work out more cost effective to ask if they're doing any straight cash upgrades on the day.

I called Virgin earlier, and they said the only way I could change the ticket was to pay the extra to change the ticket to a changeable ticket, and then use miles to upgrade to UC

I don't want to do this, so am hoping to get to the check in desk and hope they just let me upgrade with miles

will have to wait and see!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:57 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Given the current economic situation, the chances of them allowing a miles upgrade on a restricted ticket seem very slim right now.

Agree, there is no harm in asking. If PE is oversold and they are looking to move people, you MAY get lucky, but I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Please let us know whether or not you have any success.

Nick
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:33 am
Original Poster

as predicted, no upgrade of the restricted ticket allowed without changing the ticket, was worth a try!

On another note, there were only 20 of us in PE, 30 in economy, and not very many at all in UC. I wonder how long the extra flight to HK/Aus will last!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 6:06 am

Programs: Priority Club Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, formerly BA Gold, formerly KLM silver
Can anyone explain if miles upgrades can be applied to travel agent issued tickets with a corporate discount?

I'm looking at LHR-SFO-LHR going out Sun or Mon, back the following Friday. Normally this means a full fare economy Y ticket - £1568. My employer gets a discount on that - not a huge one but enough that it would be almost impossible to justify using another carrier for a non-stop. The discounted ticket shows as economy B in the private web site I would use to book it.

I've been on the phone to the flying club and they seemed to think that only the full £1568 was upgradeable by miles.

The web site says this;

- Any Economy fares booked in Y class apply including Virgin Atlantic published, discounted, corporate, travel agent or tour operator type fares.
- Only Virgin Atlantic published Economy fares booked in B, L, or M class apply. All other ticket types such as but not limited to discounted, corporate, travel agent or tour operator fare types are NOT applicable.

It's unclear to me whether the corporate discounted fare is a discounted Y ticket or a B ticket with better than normal flexibility.

Can anyone tell me how to find out the "published Economy fare" in B for this route?

Can anyone offer any insights about whether this might be upgradeable with miles?

I fear the only way to be sure is to actually book the ticket and then try to do a miles upgrade for real.

Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2009, 7:26 am
BMK

Programs: British Airways Blue, Virgin Flying Club Silver, Sixt Platinum, Hertz Gold
I've just booked a PE ticket to LAS using cash and miles. Is it possible to upgrade using cash to UC if an UC sale comes about as part of the birthday promotions etc..??

I can't seem to find the cash upgrade option in the "manage my booking" part of the website.

Thanks in advance.

BMK
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:31 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Originally Posted by BMK
I've just booked a PE ticket to LAS using cash and miles. Is it possible to upgrade using cash to UC if an UC sale comes about as part of the birthday promotions etc..??

I can't seem to find the cash upgrade option in the "manage my booking" part of the website.

Thanks in advance.

BMK
MPM fares are not upgradeable with miles or cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.