Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 27, 09, 12:16 pm   #1

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
How to book VS in UC and non-VS connection in Economy

I'm trying to fly LAX-LHR in UC and then connect to Stockholm (STO) in economy on another carrier in economy. Does anyone know how to book this as a single ticket or do I have to purchase separate itineraries?
surfguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 09, 5:59 pm   #2

This can and should be done (so your bags can be through checked). You need to call VS to make the booking or use a good travel agent.
I Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 09, 7:55 pm   #3

Programs: UA GLD
I'm looking to do something similar, also flying LAX-LHR in UC and then onto GVA in BA Y. If I book the two tickets online, can I go to check in at LAX with my BA confirmation receipt in hand and have my bags through-checked?
Old Feb 5, 09, 8:03 pm   #4

Programs: Amex Plat, Chase Sapphire, A3 Gold, Alaska Air, UA, Virgin Atlantic, SPG, Hyatt
Taking the suggestion here, I called Virgin. They were able to book the UC + Y fare on a single ticket. Best way to go, easy as pie.
surfguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 09, 8:08 pm   #5

I have a slightly complicated situation in that I need to book my VS flight through Amex travel and they don't ticket flights on BA (at least not online).

Is there another way to link the bookings such that I can still through check my bags from LAX to GVA without retrieveing them at LHR? (Sorry guys, I haven't ever done a transfer at LHR before).
Old Feb 5, 09, 8:36 pm   #6

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST View Post
I'm looking to do something similar, also flying LAX-LHR in UC and then onto GVA in BA Y. If I book the two tickets online, can I go to check in at LAX with my BA confirmation receipt in hand and have my bags through-checked?
Sure you can. You should be fine, VS are quite good when it comes to interlining bags from the US onto other carriers on separate tickets. I'd be very surprised if they didn't through-check your bags for you.

Check out this thread as other posters have mentioned successful interlining by VS onto other carriers, including BA (post no.3).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...gh-vs-bmi.html
Strawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 09, 1:20 am   #7

Another question regarding this connection...assuming I'm on a flight arriving early enough to access the revivals lounge, will I be able to do so? I understand its out in the arrivals hall so its outside the sterile area. If I was to go all the way out to arrivals, could I go to the revivals lounge, and then get to T5 for my BA connection?

I'm assuming I'd have to go through a security screening anyway for the flight connection, so basically I'd have to go through UK immigration and then go to the lounge, then back out to T5, yes?

If there are showers to use in the Clubhouse, would it be possible to get in there after the flight and use those?

Sorry, I'm totally unfamiliar with connections at Heathrow. Only been through there about 4 times.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Feb 8, 09 at 2:40 am. Reason: Inserted my reply by error by clicking Edit rather than reply. Sorry.
UnitedF1RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 09, 2:32 am   #8

Programs: VA/BA/CX
Quote:
Another question regarding this connection...assuming I'm on a flight arriving early enough to access the revivals lounge, will I be able to do so?
Yes, but as you rightly say you'll need to pass through immigration and customs and enter the UK to do so. Depending on the time of day the time overhead in doing this (mainly the time taken for immigration and using the Heathrow Express not the transfer bus) rather than transferring airside may not be huge, although the Revivals lounge does close around 1:30pm so you won't have that much time from the arrival of the VS8 at 12:30.

You should also be aware that you need to pass through security at T5 at least 35 mins before your flight.

Quote:
If there are showers to use in the Clubhouse, would it be possible to get in there after the flight and use those?
No, the Clubhouse is for departing passengers only. And in any case LHR has separation of arriving and departing passengers, so you are physically unable to get the the Clubhouse on arrival.

BC
BlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 09, 2:39 am   #9

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, Bmi Blue, HH Silver,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi UnitedF1RST,

You can use rhe Revivals lounge ( as long as your lfight from LAX arrives before 1330 when Revivals closes) and then follow signs to the Heathrow Express for the 5min journey to T5 and reclear security ( free of charge).

If you are flying Upper Class you should get a pink piece of paper inviting you to use Fast track immigration

You would still need to clear secuity if you stayed airside and went via Flight Connections.

The " Clubhouse" mentioned in your post is genearally used for the lounge in the departure area of T3 ( and as you are not leaving from T3 you will not have access)

If you are not able to link your bookings, VS in LAX may still be able to tag your bags straight through to GVA.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 8, 09, 11:19 am   #10

Thanks for your help guys. The new schedule has VS8 arriving in LHR at 12:05 PM so I should have time to get through to the arrivals hall in time for the 1:30 PM closing mark (assuming they stay open until 1:30 of course). Then just get the terminal connection bus over to T5 and check in (if I didnt already do it online at home) like a passenger off the street.
Old Feb 8, 09, 12:46 pm   #11

Programs: VA/BA/CX
Quote:
TThen just get the terminal connection bus over to T5 and check in (if I didnt already do it online at home) like a passenger off the street.
The inter-terminal connection bus only runs airside, so you'll need to take either the Heathrow Express (runs every 15 mins, only takes 3 or 4 minutes) or a local bus (see the Heathrow Airport website) which goes from the central bus depot. The Heathrow Express is the better solution.

BC
BlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote