Free Instant Upgrade To Marriott Gold

Subscribe
received an email on Tuesday from flying club asking me to join Marriott rewards and become Marriott Gold instantly. See below

Dear Nav,

Relax in style with triple miles and Gold Elite status from Marriott Rewards®

Through our partnership with Marriott Rewards, you have the opportunity to earn thousands of bonus miles and a year of special treatment with an instant upgrade to Gold Elite Marriott Rewards membership.

With over 2,800 participating hotels and resorts worldwide, Marriott Rewards' award-winning travel programme gives you fantastic benefits and recognition, plus great ways to earn Flying Club miles. And with Marriott's nine distinct brands you can ensure that wherever you are, you'll always be greeted with unique luxury, service and comfort.
Was there a link in the email?
Cool thing. I'd be interested.
See BA forum for a similar promotion.
It appears this one may be targeted. From the promo T&Cs:
Quote:
2. Offer is only applicable to recipients of this communication and is non-transferable.
And the result:
Quote:
Thank you for your interest.

This promotion is open to select Flying Club members. Our records indicate that the Flying Club account number entered is not eligible to participate in this promotion.
I just successfully registered my wife using the BA link.
Quote: I just successfully registered my wife using the BA link.
And I signed up via VS about 10 days ago.... got an e-mail confirming registration but so far diddly squat in the way of a card - anyone out there got an idea how long they take to come through?
Quote: ...... so far diddly squat in the way of a card - anyone out there got an idea how long they take to come through?
Sorry, but why do you need a card?
As long as the website recognises your upgrade and your Rewards number is in your booking, then there shouldn't be a problem with any of your Gold benefits.

A have found Marriott are very good at recognising status - my rewards number is always in my booking and I rarely have to chase up missing stays.

Nick
The card can take about 6 weeks to arrive.
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

You only need to present the card at checkin if the system does not recognize your number. The only other time I could see them asking for your card is if you take advantage of the cheque cashing benefit given to elite members.
Quote: Sorry, but why do you need a card?
As long as the website recognises your upgrade and your Rewards number is in your booking, then there shouldn't be a problem with any of your Gold benefits.
Really just 'cos its easier than carrying a bit of paper round with the number on! I hadn't had any Rewards account with Marriott previously and a booking for this week was made by an admin in the US who didn't include the number (as he didn't know about it, reasonably enough)...