Wiki Posts
Search

PE to UC Upgrade w/FC Miles on DL booking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Poster

PE to UC Upgrade w/FC Miles on DL booking

Hi all-

I've been accumulating FC miles for a while, and finally have enough for an upgrade. I booked 2 PE seats SFO-LHR thru Delta because it was several hundred $$ less than thru VS. I contacted FC to upgrade to UC, but was told since it's a DL flight number, I can't do it outside T-24. If I'm unsuccessful by phone, what is my best course of action at the airport? Can I use miles to upgrade at that time or only cash? Does it matter at that point what fare bucket I'm in? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/...d-flights.html

The VS website does suggest that you can upgrade tickets booked "on VS/DL paper", whatever that means. (in terms of codeshare or ticket issuer...)

If you paid much less, you probably aren't in the right fare bucket for an upgrade.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I did the same thing only used DL miles to upgrade. PE was booked into G (lowest PE fare class I believe). I think using FC miles is going to be difficult since it's a DL codeshare, but you might be able to upgrade via miles at the airport. I was in PE last year and upgraded to UC with cash at the airport. It wasn't cheap, but cheaper than paying just the fare difference. In that case though it wasn't a DL codeshare, but I feel like it doesn't matter at check-in.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
G is the UC reward bucket.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I think using FC miles is going to be difficult since it's a DL codeshare
And I assumed being VS metal it might actually be easier at the airport if seats are available. Seat selection shows 12 available UC seats right now...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
G is the UC reward bucket.
True! Booked to G on DL. I have to confirm what that mapped to on VS. I guess for what I paid it should be K.

I upgraded the outbound from PE to UC, and again we have G! Does DL allow any PE farecode to be upgraded when booked as a codeshare or just W,S like VS?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Called FC & no availability. I'll arrive early and try my luck at the airport. If nothing else, with my AMEX Plat & a DL boarding pass, I have my choice of two top shelf lounges...
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
True! Booked to G on DL. I have to confirm what that mapped to on VS. I guess for what I paid it should be K.

I upgraded the outbound from PE to UC, and again we have G! Does DL allow any PE farecode to be upgraded when booked as a codeshare or just W,S like VS?
Hey, did you have any luck confirming what that mapped to? Friend of mine booked fully flex PE over Delta which gave him a P-class fare, was hoping that would give him the equivalent of a W..
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Scored 2 UC upgrades for 66k FC miles & a paltry $79pp in taxes!! ^

Now sitting in the CH with a perma-grin sipping a cocktail...
gismo1554 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by DangerKitty
Scored 2 UC upgrades for 66k FC miles & a paltry $79pp in taxes!! ^

Now sitting in the CH with a perma-grin sipping a cocktail...
Nice work! Can you elaborate on how this went down? I'm in the same boat with an October flight (VS booked on DL). But I have the added hitch in that I'd need to transfer AMEX points to FC after check-in to make it work... I assume you upgraded after check-in? Over phone or at what desk?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I upgraded after OLCI at the VS desk T-4. I already had the required FC miles in my account, so the transaction was easy & took about 15 minutes. I understand AMEX conversions are virtually instant, so once you confirm availability at the desk, you should have plenty of time to convert your MR points to FC miles via the AMEX app. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.