Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Upper Class JFK to LHR - should I preorder Vegetarian

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2017, 2:05 am
Original Poster

So I usually order Asian vegetarian when I fly to ensure I get some food as always paranoid they will run out of vegetarian options. I am flying on VS10 (9:30pm flight) from JFK to LHR in Upper class in september and debating whether to order or not. I know they do a restricted dinner menu rather than the full dinner menu they have on outbound flights and I wasn't sure if this then restricted the chance of getting a vegetarian option. If I order do I get the same food as I would in economy or do I get something else? Having never flown upper before I wanted to make the most of it (using airmiles so very exciting).
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: Flying Club, Avios, Shangri La
Have you considered eating in the lounge at JFK rather than onboard the flight? There may be more options, and sea-level food is usually better than miles high microwaved fare
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spaceh0pper
Have you considered eating in the lounge at JFK rather than onboard the flight? There may be more options, and sea-level food is usually better than miles high microwaved fare
Planning on eating there too I think but worried I wont find much I like there and or still be hungry as I'm quite a fussy eater. Also I don't sleep during flights so eating takes up some of the air time (and I've chosen seat 17A so I disturb as few a people as possible as I know most people will be trying to sleep on this flight).
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I typically do not eat on the eastbound flight, the value of Upper Class (for me) is the comfortable flat bed and sleep. I always order a vegan meal for the westbound flight. The meal is invariably mediocre - protein deficient and the portion size is too small. You may wish to supplement it with some of your own food. Typically the crew doesn't know anything about the special meals, they just heat and deliver.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Thinking I might just risk it and worse comes to it eat crisps as I think they still have snacks out on the bar.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by gismo1554
Planning on eating there too I think but worried I wont find much I like there and or still be hungry as I'm quite a fussy eater. Also I don't sleep during flights so eating takes up some of the air time (and I've chosen seat 17A so I disturb as few a people as possible as I know most people will be trying to sleep on this flight).
You'll have more chance of getting something you like in the CH than in the air.

It's a lot harder (near impossible) to do that in the air.

there is a link to the menu on the JFK CH page on the VS website
Old Feb 14, 2017, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:17 am

There is a vegetarian option on the menu. Last Thursday it was Sayur kari which was a strange mixture of over- and under- cooked lumps of vegetables served on cooked but dried out rice with a tasteless curry sauce. I am sure a special meal cannot be worse.

Going out my steak meal was very good for airline food, over cooked but tasty and tender. In both directions the starters and desserts were very good and I like having the fourth cheese course.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenpen
There is a vegetarian option on the menu. Last Thursday it was Sayur kari which was a strange mixture of over- and under- cooked lumps of vegetables served on cooked but dried out rice with a tasteless curry sauce. I am sure a special meal cannot be worse.

Going out my steak meal was very good for airline food, over cooked but tasty and tender. In both directions the starters and desserts were very good and I like having the fourth cheese course.
Thanks! I think on the JFK evening flights you get main and dessert or cheese only but planning on having the cheese as its always nice. I think i'm going to risk it and just eat in the lounge as others suggested then try the veggie main. I know the last time I ordered one it sounded pretty similar to this to be honest so we shall see.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Are they still serving bangers n mash slop to J class pax?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cedar Jet
Are they still serving bangers n mash slop to J class pax?

None of the meals I have ever had on a VS UC flight could be described as 'slop'
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
None of the meals I have ever had on a VS UC flight could be described as 'slop'
You clearly never had bangers an mash on offer in that case.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Delta, United, Marriott, British Airways, Virgin, American
Experience with vegetarian meals

I have ordered vegetarian meals in Upper Class several times in the past year, the most recently last week. Invariably, the food is inedible. The portions are small, and the food looks like the commissary threw together some leftover vegetables in a bowl. The only thing ordering a special meal does is insure that you will have something to eat. It's not feasible to rely on the regular menu having a choice for a vegetarian or that there will be enough available portions.
It's really best to dine in the Clubhouse on the ground where there are more options. You can always get a second meal if you don't like your choice. Also, the food is so much better than on the plane.
For me, I eat on the ground, and, on overnight flights, have the bed made ASAP in the air so I am to get as much sleep as possible.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robinjoym
I have ordered vegetarian meals in Upper Class several times in the past year, the most recently last week. Invariably, the food is inedible. The portions are small, and the food looks like the commissary threw together some leftover vegetables in a bowl. The only thing ordering a special meal does is insure that you will have something to eat. It's not feasible to rely on the regular menu having a choice for a vegetarian or that there will be enough available portions.
It's really best to dine in the Clubhouse on the ground where there are more options. You can always get a second meal if you don't like your choice. Also, the food is so much better than on the plane.
For me, I eat on the ground, and, on overnight flights, have the bed made ASAP in the air so I am to get as much sleep as possible.
Thanks! They do guarantee one Vegetarian meal on the menu but I understand your point that it may end up running out. I'm not strict in that I will eat around chicken or meat if required I just don't like the taste of meat or fish for that matter so worse comes to it I can always order something and just eat the accompliments. I will definitely be ordering in the clubhouse. I can't sleep on planes so therefore wont be getting the seat moved to a bed as there is no point.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gismo1554
Thanks! They do guarantee one Vegetarian meal on the menu but I understand your point that it may end up running out.
Just tell the crew member who brings you your pre departure drink and the menu etc that you want the vege option right from the start - before they even come down and start taking the official orders.

They generally won't take a pre order in this way for the other dishes but they will for the vege option as it helps them with the meat numbers from the get go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.