Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading reward flights with miles

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Upgrading reward flights with miles

I've got a one-way flight booked from LAS to LHR in PE, booked using 35k miles from my wife's Virgin account. This cleared out her account, and she's not going to be earning any more miles any time soon.

I've got just over 15k miles in my account (and again, no real opportunity to earn many more anytime soon). If a UC redemption becomes available for the flight I'm booked onto, would I be able to upgrade to UC using the 15k miles in my account (the difference between a PE and UC redemption for this flight), even though the flight was originally booked using my wife's miles?

Thanks for any replies!
Old May 4, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Yes.

Mixing and matching is not a problem so long as the whole amount for each transaction comes from one account. Buying the ticket is 1 transaction, upgrading is another, you will have no problem at all.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: VS Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've been able to mix points from two accounts (mine and my girlfriends) to pay for combi fare tickets for both of us, even though she didn't have enough to pay for her half. They just needed to speak to her on the phone and get her to identify herself (DOB etc).
Old May 4, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: EK, VS, SA, HH
This is brilliant!
A question. I have an economy reward flight booked through my account. I don't have enough miles to upgrade it to PE, however a family member has enough miles in their account to do so and is willing to upgrade my flight.
There is PE reward space available; should they call Flying Club to upgrade my flight or can I contact them myself and give them the family member's details for confirmation? I ideally would like to make the change and pay the extra taxes myself, and not have them pay for it (just inconvenient)
It would save the £7.50/1000miles transfer fee which certainly adds up.

Last edited by baharini; May 4, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm fairly sure this is incorrect advice. AFAIK you cannot "upgrade" an award ticket (all references to upgrade on the VS website are from a paid fare class), you can only cancel an award and immediately re-book in the higher cabin. Therefore all of the miles must come from the same account. Otherwise people would game the system to combine miles from various accounts for free.

What you can do for sure is upgrade a paid ticket with miles from another member's account...
Old May 4, 2016, 4:10 pm

I see, it makes sense – thanks

Did some more digging and found their official policy on this, which seems good enough:
4.2.1 Once reward tickets are issued, you may amend your travel date, route or class of service prior to travel for an amendment fee of £30 per person for changes to international flights originating in the UK, US$50 per person for changes to international flights originating in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 per person for changes to flights originating in any other region.
TL;DR: I can upgrade the class of service of my reward flight, but with a £30 fee and obligatory miles transfer charge.
Old May 5, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
AFAIK you cannot "upgrade" an award ticket
You definitely can, I have done so many times. If you get resistance, HUCA.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by stuart_f
You definitely can, I have done so many times. If you get resistance, HUCA.
Yep, HUCA works wonders in quite a few other fields too
And yep that's right; My question was whether someone could upgrade someone else's reward flight with their own miles, for example: Richard books a reward flight; Patrick upgrades Richard's reward flight using his (Patrick's) miles. This saves the miles transfer cost from Patrick->Richard. (I'm sure you knew the gist of it but just for clarity). Seems like it's a no for that.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by baharini
This is brilliant!
A question. I have an economy reward flight booked through my account. I don't have enough miles to upgrade it to PE, however a family member has enough miles in their account to do so and is willing to upgrade my flight.
There is PE reward space available; should they call Flying Club to upgrade my flight or can I contact them myself and give them the family member's details for confirmation? I ideally would like to make the change and pay the extra taxes myself, and not have them pay for it (just inconvenient)
It would save the £7.50/1000miles transfer fee which certainly adds up.
They can call VS and make you a nominee on their account.

There is no need to transfer / gift miles as long as there are enough miles in their account to 'pay' for your upgrade.

They won't accept it from you that it's Ok to use their miles and nor will they contact them to ask.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by baharini
My question was whether someone could upgrade someone else's reward flight with their own miles, for example: Richard books a reward flight; Patrick upgrades Richard's reward flight using his (Patrick's) miles. This saves the miles transfer cost from Patrick->Richard. (I'm sure you knew the gist of it but just for clarity). Seems like it's a no for that.
Yes, provided Patrick has Richard's permission. Either Richard has to make Patrick a nominee on his account or both of them need to be present when they call Flying Club and it will be sorted.

I have regularly upgraded Mrs _F's flights and vice versa depends who had the most miles at the time.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:49 am

Thank you UKtravelbear and stuart_f. We'll get this worked out with the Flying Club, will update with how things turn out.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
Thanks for all responses!
Old May 12, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
I'm presuming if you booked the economy reward fare in one of their mileage sales, you would have to pay additional points to upgrade, or anyone have any ideas or experience of this in practice?
Old May 12, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by snevillio
I'm presuming if you booked the economy reward fare in one of their mileage sales, you would have to pay additional points to upgrade, or anyone have any ideas or experience of this in practice?
Yes you pay the full difference between what you paid for Y and PE
Old May 12, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes you pay the full difference between what you paid for Y and PE
Thanks muchly... and do you know off hand if they ever have Upper Class reward sales? They have been excluded from the recent ones for sure...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.