HKG-LON Redemption Fees for Real?

Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
HKG-LON Redemption Fees for Real?

I'm used to seeing almost physically painful fees for redemption bookings in UC (USD1000 or more isn't uncommon). However, on a one-way HKG-LON I'm finding fees of HKD170 (or about USD22). I shudder to ask, but is this for real? The other way around the fees are GBP332.15 (which translates into...oh, something like USD450) so I suspect it sort-of balances out, but I've never seen a VS award booking have a fee of less than several hundred dollars in UC.

Edit: To be clear, I get USD140 quoted if I look at booking "externally" (e.g. via Virgin America).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:14 am

HKG just recently removed YQ for departures out of that airport.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Looks like it's time to play ball, then...

(I've got a trip in the works which can only be described as "messy"...and that doesn't even begin to describe it...but let's just say that an affordable HKG-LON leg goes a long way towards making it work.)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
HKG has long had a government-regulated cap on YQ. I guess it has now been completely removed - entirely sensible with $30 oil...

However, this is also why it can be harder to find ex-HKG award availability than say PVG or other airports in the region (not VS of course)

This reminds me to check whether HKG-LHR / stopover / onwards later to North America prices the whole itinerary without YQ.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

I checked, they don't. You get a fee of about HKD2100 HKG-NYC, which feels like roughly the NYC-LON fees added to the nominal HKG-LON fee.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I checked, they don't. You get a fee of about HKD2100 HKG-NYC, which feels like roughly the NYC-LON fees added to the nominal HKG-LON fee.
Actually, HKD2100 equals about GBP185. So that looks like roughly the nominal HKG-LON fee plus UK APD departure tax. (unless of course you checked a HKG-LHR-JFK with no stopover, which would have no APD charged, but in which case I would have thought HKG caps apply...)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Actually, HKD2100 equals about GBP185. So that looks like roughly the nominal HKG-LON fee plus UK APD departure tax. (unless of course you checked a HKG-LHR-JFK with no stopover, which would have no APD charged, but in which case I would have thought HKG caps apply...)
I was checking "straight through" (there are some dates in December which list a workable through-reservation).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

As nice as only paying the HK price would be, I'm probably going to "split" the trip (since praying for a HKG-LON UC redemption to hold for long enough for the LON-NYC leg to open up? Seems like a fools' errand, even if there's plenty of HKG-LON-NYC availability) and buy the VS points I need to make it happen (because it's a $12,000 ticket from what I can tell; getting that for about $2000 [$1500 in bought points plus at most $500 in fees and APD] strikes me as a good use of points, and it preserves my Hyatt points for the SQ legs of this trip).
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:56 am
Original Poster

YEAH! Booked HKG-LHR-IAD. 100,000 miles and about $320 in fees (I took the fees in HKD since if I went with USD the fees roughly doubled) in UC!

(Granted I had to spend about $1400 on the miles to get everything into place...but still, that's $1700 paid for a $13,000 ticket. I'll take that with a broad, broad smile...)

Now to futz around and get the SYD-SIN-HKG ticket worked out (I may have said that I've compared this trip to an Indiana Jones itinerary)...which will probably take a few weeks at this point. However...the tricky part is done and as long as the sale stays in place I have NO problem forking over $50 (availability permitting) if I need to slide things by a few days. I'm just glad to have something in hand for this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.