Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Club upgrades to Upper Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Flying Club upgrades to Upper Class

I've just bought flights in Premium Economy Class S flying LHR-SFO in late October, but when I tried to upgrade using Flying Club points (I have more than 60K), I was told there was nothing available. How long in advance do you need to book?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:58 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Your S class fare is eligible for a miles upgrade, but there must be award availability in Upper (G bucket) for this to happen.

If you look back in this forum - the availability of G's is a much discussed topic. They can be released at any time from the -T-330 day mark, right up to the day of travel.

I am afraid the only reliable way to find them is to keep checking.

There have been quite a few comments recently about award seats becoming available close to travel dates.

Good luck.

Nick

Last edited by Nottingham Nick; Sep 11, 2015 at 6:42 pm
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Thanks for the info - I'll keep checking then.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
I'll confirm that I recently snagged G-bucket tickets 3 days before departure for a one-way TATL to the east coast.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:39 am

keep checking..if you have KVS it helps. I got upgrades ways out for Oct 6 DEL - NYC no issues. The res agents are pretty good in terms of telling you which flights have a good chance of opening up if they are not available at time of booking.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:39 am

In addition to checking for G release on the site, you can upgrade at the airport if there are UC seats available. I asked at check-in last Friday at LAX knowing there were still 3 UC seats left (checked on expertflyer.com) and got my upgrade from B class. It was a peak time flight too, 6pm departure from LAX on a Friday.

Suggest checking in early if possible.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Even though there may be space available VS does not always offer miles or cash upgrades at the airport.

And I've been at a check-in desk where someone else was pointing at e.g. expert flyer on their phone going 'look you have empty seats'

No harm in asking though.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:53 am

Agree, may not always work. In my case, the agent called someone and got approval.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Even though there may be space available VS does not always offer miles or cash upgrades at the airport.

And I've been at a check-in desk where someone else was pointing at e.g. expert flyer on their phone going 'look you have empty seats'

No harm in asking though.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:44 am

Question

Does anyone know if premium economy tickets booked on an H fare are upgradeable? I can find few current references to H fares at all on the Virgin-Atlantic website, although it appears that they used to be included as one of the upgradeable fares. Thank you.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: VS Gold, QF Gold
H class is not upgradeable (only W & S are). Lately bookings via the web site have been trying really hard to book you into H, so you need to pay attention (and pay more) for upgradeable classes.

Originally Posted by mcf31
Does anyone know if premium economy tickets booked on an H fare are upgradeable? I can find few current references to H fares at all on the Virgin-Atlantic website, although it appears that they used to be included as one of the upgradeable fares. Thank you.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame
H class is not upgradeable (only W & S are). Lately bookings via the web site have been trying really hard to book you into H, so you need to pay attention (and pay more) for upgradeable classes.
Using the VS website, how am I to know the fare class for a ticket. I just played with a dummy booking and I can't see fare class info without going forward beyond entering payment information. Just curious?

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:07 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
The website simply books you into the cheapest bucket still available.

There used to be the option to specify that you wanted a flexible (upgradable with points) bucket, but that facility was 'enhanced' away a couple of years ago and if you want a flexible fare now, you have to book by phone.

Nick
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: VS Gold, QF Gold
You can click the "View Fare Breakdown" link on the right hand side of the page once you've selected your flights to see the fare classes. As Nottingham Nick says, the web site will always drop you into the lowest fare class available, so if you want to book online, you'll have to choose the higher fares you see, which will (usually) be W/S.

Otherwise a phone call to the call center is required.

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Using the VS website, how am I to know the fare class for a ticket. I just played with a dummy booking and I can't see fare class info without going forward beyond entering payment information. Just curious?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame
You can click the "View Fare Breakdown" link on the right hand side of the page once you've selected your flights to see the fare classes. As Nottingham Nick says, the web site will always drop you into the lowest fare class available, so if you want to book online, you'll have to choose the higher fares you see, which will (usually) be W/S.

Otherwise a phone call to the call center is required.
Perfect and thank you!!! Will be mist useful info moving forward indeed for me...

Much appreciate the tip...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
It's a crapshoot with upgrades. Eastbound tend to be less available than westbound. If Upper is sold out on the plane you are in, then tough luck.

However, if you check reward availability close to now, you'll see far more seats available than around 330 days time. It's the matter of keeping on top of it. I was watching for three at one point to Vegas, but only two came available, eventually, and never one on the return (people seem to think that sleeping is the point of Upper. Not me).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.