Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Points Run help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Tier Points Run help Needed!

Hi

I need to do a few TP runs to renew my Gold membership this year.

I have never done any before and would appreciate an advice I can get.

Thanks in advance

Stephen
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:53 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Can you give a bit more detail? How many do you need? What time period do you have? Where are you based?

Many years ago TP runs on VS were common - the infamous SIN-KUL runs on SQ in F were very lucrative and great fun.

Nowadays, with the much diminished value of gold, and its higher requalification threshold, they are not so common. If you are a regular UC flier, the value of gold is minimal - if you are a Y / PE flier and want gold for CH access, then you have to weigh up the extra cost of the TP run against the benefits of the status.

If you let us know a bit more about what you need, I a sure there will be some advice.

Nick
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Hey

I am uk based and need to still get 20 points before Jan 1st 2016

I normally fly LHR-LAX once a month on whatever seat is best value at the time.
I did not think I would be flying much next year so I let it Slip; otherwise I would have completed it easily. now plans have changed and I want to keep it as it is useful because I tend to use the CH and the extra miles when flying family and friends out plus there are few other perks like they will change dates on your ticket for free, guaranteed a seat and important for me and extra leg room seat for free if you are economy.

I plan 2 more trips out to the US this year and will have to make up the rest in runs

Thanks....stephen
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
So you need 20 but will be doing two more trips .

How many TPs will you get for those leaving XXX to find?

Without knowing that figure it's hard to advise!

If it's only a small number then it might be worth doing a few back to backs on little red to EDI or ABZ before they stop in the end of September.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
One approach might be to do those LAX trips in PE, fare class S. This will earn a total of 16 tier points.

You would normally have to call to book these over the phone - the web site will otherwise try and book you in the lower priced PE fare class H, which only nets 3 TPs per direction.

Then do a couple of those day trips to Edinburgh etc which earn a point each way.

Last edited by StingWest; Aug 17, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
(duplicate - error)

Last edited by StingWest; Aug 17, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: United Premier 1K; VS Gold; IHG Spire Royal Ambassador; Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; M Life Plat
You could always look into flying First class on Delta domestic flights in the United States. One segment is 3 tier points for Virgin, so roundtrip would be 6 tier points for sometimes like £275 or so. You could also look at trips where you have a connection, and then roundtrip can be 12 tier points. I fly Delta in the states often and use my VS FC number simply to earn VS miles for award flights. I often get an extra 100+ tier points a year from just Delta alone.

So if you're in the United States often, I would look into it.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: VS Gold, QF Gold
I just did a Delta First Class (G) from JFK-DCA which got me 6 TPs and let me renew Gold status for about $300— a short 45 minute flight, and DCA is one of the easier airports to get in-out of with proximity to city.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: VS
You could also do LAX - SFO in G which is a nice quick trip as you're going to LAX anyway, reasonably priced and loads of availability. (Doing this myself in January as I need a couple of TP's).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:45 am

+1 on using the DL First class option. I understand you get 3 points per flight, so a LAX-SFO-SEA-SFO-LAX run in F = 12 points.

Can you tack on such a run to your LAX trips?

Or do LHR-SEA-SFO-LAX-LHR, can get you 11 points if you fly X-F-F-H/K classes.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's been two weeks since this was first posted and despite being asked questions the OP hasn't been back to respond.

I don't see the point in people adding more ideas when the OP hasn't the courtesy to respond to the first set of comments.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:27 am

I certainly appreciate the information (though I'm not the OP) and wish that I had known about the Delta FC tier points option as I could have managed to squeak in gold within the 2 year time frame. To late now, sadly. Starting over at silver but slightly wiser thanks to this thread .
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:37 am

Flying F on short run delta does the trick

I did a tier points run on DL F earlier this summer. I earned 9 tier points for less than $300 by flying CLE-LGA-BOS-LGA.
Strongly suggest you look into short run regional trips on DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.