Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Should I consolidate Airmiles between accounts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice when it comes to my Airmiles. Me and my partner have both got Flying club accounts and I have 28k and she had 13k. We are ultimately saving to one day fly first class together (hopefully for our honeymoon) and I am wondering what the benefits are to consolidating the miles over to one account or if its worth leaving then split.

We both tend to go on a stateside trip once per year (usually with Delta or Virgin) but I work for a company in America where I will be travelling about 3-5 times.

Does having all the miles in one account help generate more or come with more perks? and likewise, would moving them over to my account effect her if we ever wanted to upgrade in the future?

Cheers,
Stu
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Leave the miles where they are. You have to pay to combine them in one account.

I recommend you both look at the other options for earning VS miles. Tesco, credit cards, etc.

However, if you are going to be flying 3-5 times a year, you might qualify for elite status with Flying Club, which would come with perks. You should look around Flyertalk and the Virgin Atlantic website to get a feel for how to qualify and what perks are involved.

The amounts required to upgrade depend on the destination. But as long as your partner ends up with enough miles to upgrade one person one way (20K for Economy to Upper Class for New York and other cities on the East Coast), that will be valuable. So you can focus on earning miles in your account, but also try to get her account up to 20K (or more if your honeymoon is further away) so she has enough for a one way upgrade. (you can upgrade her return with your miles)

Keep in mind you will pay a lot of money in fees and surcharges for "award" tickets. It is also virtually impossible to redeem on partner airlines...

A couple of years ago I did a summary for my blog. You might find it helpful. http://flyingpiggie.com/2013/09/virg...c-flying-club/
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Welcome to FT

There is no benefit of consolidating them.

It certainly does not generate more perks having them all in one account. The 'perks' are based on status earned via tier points not how many miles you have and you can't transfer tier points.

She still needs her own account to earn miles in the future.

She could transfer or gift her miles to you (or vice versa!) but that would cost you hard cash and generally serves no purpose.

What you can do is use each others miles to book entire sectors of a flight. You would both need to contact VS to authorise each other to use each others accounts.

And Virgin does not have a first class it has Upper which is it's Business Class product.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks craigthemif and UKtravelbear for the responses very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.