Search

Upper Class security channel closed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:28 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Upper Class security channel closed?

Was at LHR this morning and went to go to the Upper Class security channel and was redirected by a VS employee to a line in the main area of the terminal. From the screening area it appeared that the normal upper class screening area was walled off--is this permanent or just temporary renovations?

The current line is in theory limited to the same people as the UCSC but it wasn't terribly well enforced, so the line was a bit longer than usual, but still manageable.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
I believe there is renovation work going on, the CDC drop off was (is???) closed for a while too.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
We'll let you know on Tues Sept 23.

My other half has a Drive Through Check In booked at LHR on Tuesday.

I'll report back.

I'm wondering if the change is due to the necessity of screening with the millimeter scanner and not just a metal detector like they use at the normal Upper Class Security at LHR.

Originally Posted by colerc
Was at LHR this morning and went to go to the Upper Class security channel and was redirected by a VS employee to a line in the main area of the terminal. From the screening area it appeared that the normal upper class screening area was walled off--is this permanent or just temporary renovations?

The current line is in theory limited to the same people as the UCSC but it wasn't terribly well enforced, so the line was a bit longer than usual, but still manageable.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:12 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I went through the private security channel from the check in area of T3 last Thursday and saw notices 'please excuse our mess' - it is temporary thing while they re-vamp the area at the top of the lift.

We used the lift as normal and there were two members of staff directing UC pax to a private area - I though it worked well and didn't notice any delay - they were making sure that no one else used the channel.

Nick
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:02 am

No word on Drive Through Check-In?

I hope that it doesn't affect DTCI.

Steve

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
I went through the private security channel from the check in area of T3 last Thursday and saw notices 'please excuse our mess' - it is temporary thing while they re-vamp the area at the top of the lift.

We used the lift as normal and there were two members of staff directing UC pax to a private area - I though it worked well and didn't notice any delay - they were making sure that no one else used the channel.

Nick
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:49 pm

VS is re-vamping fast-track security to smoothen flow due to additional DL pax traffic. Ever since DL switched JFK/BOS/SEA to T3, the queues for security have increased, and with additional ATL traffic in the future the fast-track had to be re-done.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Anyone have information regarding a completion date?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:34 am

Drive Through Check-In Uneffected

My other half just went through DTCI and it was normal, that security hallway area is being remodeled, you're directed outside briefly to a separate private area. Not bad.

Steve

Originally Posted by backdoc
I hope that it doesn't affect DTCI.

Steve
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by pk45cu
VS is re-vamping fast-track security to smoothen flow due to additional DL pax traffic. Ever since DL switched JFK/BOS/SEA to T3, the queues for security have increased, and with additional ATL traffic in the future the fast-track had to be re-done.
Has this led the Club house becoming too busy too or is it able to cope?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:59 pm

The Delta thing has made the LHR Clubhouse is a LOT busier now - if you hit it at the wrong time. When we arrived a few days ago, we couldn't get a table, they were all taken . Then the LAX flight and a couple of others were called and it thinned out considerably.

I am also aware that a VS crew friend of mine was told there wasn't room for her when she was flying on staff ticket in Upper.

Nick
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:39 am

The Delta thing has made the LHR Clubhouse is a LOT busier now - if you hit it at the wrong time. When we arrived a few days ago, we couldn't get a table, they were all taken . Then the LAX flight and a couple of others were called and it thinned out considerably.

I am also aware that a VS crew friend of mine was told there wasn't room for her when she was flying on staff ticket in Upper.

Nick
Yes, it's busier, but that's a good thing from the airline profitability point of view.

BTW, the security lane upgrade is scheduled to finish in 6 weeks.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:43 pm

Yes, it's busier, but that's a good thing from the airline profitability point of view.
Given Virgin's massive losses they must be pleased to see more high spending passengers ! But it won't look good if people can't get a seat.

Are there plans to expand the lounge to cope with the additional flights when, as seems inevitable, all Delta flights move over from T4?
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:43 pm

Yes, it's busier, but that's a good thing from the airline profitability point of view......
Not sure I concur with your logic there. An airline's lounge full of another airline's customers, to the extet that it isn't possible to get a seat, does not encourage brand loyalty IMHO.

Nick
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:30 pm

Not sure I concur with your logic there. An airline's lounge full of another airline's customers, to the extet that it isn't possible to get a seat, does not encourage brand loyalty IMHO.

Nick
Delta is not an other airline on TATL routes, DL and VS are essentially the same airline on these routes. The JV splits profits so it makes perfect sense to have DL pax in the Clubhouse.

I agree that they do need to fix the capacity problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.