AeroMobile Service

Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, National Exec
AeroMobile Service

Can anyone provide me information on how effective the AeroMobile service on the A330s are? I'm flying JFK-LHR in a few weeks and just noticed that it's available but haven't heard anything about it, positive or negative.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
Sorry, I haven't used it - but am also interested to hear some details from anyone who has. Also, how much does it cost?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Stuff
I used it on a recent trip to Vegas! It basically creates a mobile signal aboard the flight that most carriers can roam (so it won't work unless you have roaming enabled on your phone plan) on, you turn on your phone's GSM radio (I know, right?) and it will eventually roam to "aeromobile".. It only gives you a GPRS or occasionally EDGE connection which is ok for voice calls and SMS messages but too slow for instant messaging (whatsapp/iMessage etc), browsing and email on anything other than a blackberry 7 device (that has compression and works better on 2G) The pricing is done by your mobile operator and appears as "In flight calling" in their roaming pricing.. For Vodafone UK you can find the costs here. http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-m...elling-abroad/ just look for in flight calling on the drop down..

It was ok for texts etc but it's nothing like the GOGO wireless stuff I've used on domestic Delta flights in the US.. mainly because it has to be using expensive satellite connectivity rather than the ground based upward facing cell towers GoGo use..

Aeromobile also doesn't work over the US, the system shuts off as soon as you approach the US and it's got a limit of how many people can connect at the same time as I discovered a few times on the flight..!

Hope that helps..!

Andy

Last edited by AndyB; Aug 29, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.