JFK to LHR...via Delta or Virgin?

Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

JFK to LHR...via Delta or Virgin?

Apologies but when I joined Flyertalk I was under the impression that I'd be traveling a lot more for my job. Instead I remain status-less.

In looking at the Virgin website for flights from JFK to LHR I notice that several of them are starred "operated by Delta." I have flown this route with Virgin (in steerage) and know what to expect. Can anyone tell me if the steerage/economy/kettle experience on Delta is better or worse?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I'd say the order of comfort generally goes as follows: VS Premium Economy > DL Economy Comfort > DL Economy > VS Economy

If flying in standard economy, I would prefer DL due to the better seating configuration (2-3-2 on DL 763/764 vs. 2-4-2 VS A330/340 or 3-4-3 on VS 744) and more spacious seats (pitch and width are slightly larger on DL than on VS).

One caveat is that the economy seats on the VS 744 upper deck offer a rare chance to fly up top as a coach passenger and are arranged as 3-3.

IFE is very good on both carriers. I can't comment on meal service in Y from personal experience but believe the two are comparable.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:57 am

I would view delta as the aldi of travel?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies (thought Barnaby100, I have no experience with Aldi as there are none near me so your comment went right over my head )
This would be for business but I would like to bring my husband and son with me. I'm thinking that I would make the most sense to book their airfare separately from mine (in case I need to fly out sooner).
As for meals...well...it's airplane food in coach .
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: VS Au, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
This is a little late, but we recently flew out to San Diego via JFK with Delta, and returned direct from LAX to LHR with VS (both times Economy). Our experience was that on the international leg of the DL flight the seats were more comfortable and we had a little more leg room than on VS, but the food on DL was absolutely awful. However, the CC were very friendly and helpful. On the inbound VS flight we were definitely more cramped, but the food was much, much better. CC were a little surly despite most PAX in our area seeming to be very polite.

The domestic DL flight from JFK to SAN was very poor; seats had no proper support and they don't offer food beyond pretzels even though the flight time was quite long. But as you'd only be going as far as JFK, I'd say DL had the slight edge in terms of comfort and customer service. Just pack your own lunch
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Laika, never too late and I appreciate your taking the time to reply. Thanks for the thorough review.

Tickets have been booked and we're flying VS to LHR. The boys will be flying DL home. I'll be flying VS home at a later date. Ultimately it was time (and price) that dictated the flights. At the time that I booked BA was actually a smidge cheaper but I have had horrible experiences with them in the past so I had no desire to fly them again.

So they boys will fly home in comfort...but likely hungry. I'll make sure they pack snacks for the flight home .
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by rsqrott
Laika, never too late and I appreciate your taking the time to reply. Thanks for the thorough review.

Tickets have been booked and we're flying VS to LHR. The boys will be flying DL home. I'll be flying VS home at a later date. Ultimately it was time (and price) that dictated the flights. At the time that I booked BA was actually a smidge cheaper but I have had horrible experiences with them in the past so I had no desire to fly them again.

So they boys will fly home in comfort...but likely hungry. I'll make sure they pack snacks for the flight home .
For info on DL to/from LHR, the following threads may be helpful:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...london-dl.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...t-seating.html

Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
Thank you SO much! I'll pass this info on to my better half.

Our son is very excited to be flying two different airlines. Possibly a future frequent flier in training?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
VS flights depart from gates closer to the Clubhouse...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.