Using VS miles on partner flight

Subscribe
Hi,

I now have 45,000 miles from the BofA credit card offer.

Looks like quite a few people transfer their miles to Hilton points. I don't want to that. As I don't mind staying in cheap hotels, I prefer to use the miles for flights.

I don't want to use the miles for Virgin flight, since I have to pay lot of $ in tax and fees.

Can any one tell me which partner airlines I can easily book with? Economy class will do. SFO to New Zealand on Air NZ, SFO to Tokyo on ANA, SFO to Hawaii on Hawaiian?

I am guessing I don't have enough miles to use (even one way) on Malaysia, Singapore, or South African airlines?

Thanks.
Quote: Hi,

I now have 45,000 miles from the BofA credit card offer.

Looks like quite a few people transfer their miles to Hilton points. I don't want to that. As I don't mind staying in cheap hotels, I prefer to use the miles for flights.

I don't want to use the miles for Virgin flight, since I have to pay lot of $ in tax and fees.

Can any one tell me which partner airlines I can easily book with? Economy class will do. SFO to New Zealand on Air NZ, SFO to Tokyo on ANA, SFO to Hawaii on Hawaiian?

I am guessing I don't have enough miles to use (even one way) on Malaysia, Singapore, or South African airlines?

Thanks.
If you change your location on the Virgin Atlantic website from U.S and Canada to UK, you'll be able to see the redemption tables for airlines.

Many of VS's partners don't allow one-way awards. You do have enough for a flight to Hawaii on Hawaiian, or one-way to Tokyo (if one-way is allowed on ANA).

Not sure about the actual booking experience, fees, etc.
Did anybody have the experiences redeeming the VS miles onto ANA flights? If I am able to find the ANA flight award inventory on United or Aeroplan website, does it mean I can redeem the VS miles to get the ANA award spaces I need?
1 way won't be allowed on ANA. (it's not even allowed on ANA's own programme)

I suspect the mileage-based redemption levels work like ANA's own programme. You don't have to fly return, but you do have to return to the country of origin. So, in theory you could try to book a TYO-SFO, then add a ICN-TYO or something short like that (a flight you will conveniently "miss") to keep the total mileage as low as possible.

1 ways aren't allowed on any VS partners. Personally I would try to earn another 5000 miles and use 50000 to upgrade a return economy flight to London to Upper Class.

If you insist on economy, you're limited to the domestic stuff like US Airways (for a few more months), Hawaiian and Virgin America. Delta presumably will be coming some time in 2013/14...
Yes, I do understand 1 way is not allowed on ANA. I am actually looking at round trip on business class from SFO to HKG for example. It falls into the 95000 VS miles redemption onto ANA flights for business class round trips from SFO to the Asia cities via Tokyo where ANA services many destinations so it will open up the opportunities for many people to redeem VS miles into ANA flights to Asia on premium cabin. But I just don't know if anybody has the experiences redeeming the VS miles onto ANA flights in the past.
Sorry, didn't notice that you bumped an older thread. Was responding to the OP.

In theory if ANA provide award availability to its *A partners it will do the same for VS, but haven't done it myself.
Quote:
In theory if ANA provide award availability to its *A partners it will do the same for VS, but haven't done it myself.
Are VS miles only usable on ANA operated flights or can you use VS miles to book any *A flight that you would be normally able to book directly with ANA miles?
VS miles could be used on a few partners as below.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...ines/index.jsp

But keep in mind that there are quite some restrictions on different partners. You would have to click into each airline partner and look into the terms and conditions for each one. If you could use United website to find those ANA flights, you are supposed to be able to book with VS miles too.
Quote:
Are VS miles only usable on ANA operated flights or can you use VS miles to book any *A flight that you would be normally able to book directly with ANA miles?
Let me clarify, I want to use VS miles to book an ANA award but not on ANA metal. I want to book some flights on United and other *A carriers through the ANA program to take advantage of their generous stopover rules.

What I need to know is whether you can use VS miles for booking ANA metal only or can you make a full *A award booking through the ANA program?
Quote: Let me clarify, I want to use VS miles to book an ANA award but not on ANA metal. I want to book some flights on United and other *A carriers through the ANA program to take advantage of their generous stopover rules.

What I need to know is whether you can use VS miles for booking ANA metal only or can you make a full *A award booking through the ANA program?
ANA metal only...
First time poster in this forum. My bf has a small amount of miles he needs to burn.

On the virgin site for ANA redemption info, it says the big *A are not allowed (UA, LH etc.) but it says nothing about prohibiting booking on ANA codeshare operated by Asiana. It also does not explicitly list them in the allowed list.

Has anyone had any experience with this? When I made my initial call, he gave me a host of times to request a seat. In fact, upon a closer look, i requested seats on an Asiana flight. That would leave me to believe all of these Asiana codeshare times are on the table.

Thanks for the scoop.