Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First refurbished Gatwick 747 flies today

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
First refurbished Gatwick 747 flies today

G-VROM (Barbarella) has had it's refurb completed and re-enters service today. VS have uploaded video and it looks like one hell of an improvement over the current state of the Gatwick fleet, especially in Y and Y+

http://youtu.be/k1sfeX99_rc
Old May 28, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Y cabin looks really nice, a huge improvement, well done VS.
Really looking forward to experiencing the updated LGW B747 fleet very soon.
Old May 28, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Agreed, it looks very stylish, with one of the best IFE's in the sky, and new PE food service to come to add to the recent improvements to UC and Y. VS is on a roll!
Old May 28, 2012, 12:27 pm
Ambassador

I'm not sure they've made the right decision about splitting the UD between Y and PE and there's still such an emphasis on Y. VS seems to underperform on these routes relative to BA in J/F (unless BA has a lot of redemptions).

Nevertheless, it's a very good Y/PE product now.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:00 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by BA304
I'm not sure they've made the right decision about splitting the UD between Y and PE and there's still such an emphasis on Y. VS seems to underperform on these routes relative to BA in J/F (unless BA has a lot of redemptions).

Nevertheless, it's a very good Y/PE product now.
Based on what information? A very good product offering by VS and (imo) VS now has a better Y and W class comapred to BA (combined with better lounge and check in facilities). I have always preferred VS J class, but I know this is a matter of taste/preference. ^ I agree that VS is on a roll! Well done. Now I need to persuade a travel department to allow me to once again fly VS J as opposed to BA F!!!
Old May 29, 2012, 2:16 am
Ambassador

Originally Posted by EGW1
Based on what information? A very good product offering by VS and (imo) VS now has a better Y and W class comapred to BA (combined with better lounge and check in facilities). I have always preferred VS J class, but I know this is a matter of taste/preference. ^ I agree that VS is on a roll! Well done. Now I need to persuade a travel department to allow me to once again fly VS J as opposed to BA F!!!
Based on the fact that BA has at least 40 J seats (and F on some routes out of LGW) compared to Virgin's 14 seats in J.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
I agree and don't like the split upper deck, and why put Y behind PE there? However I understand that VS know how many PE seats it can sell (and frequently does fill) and that the space between the doors on the main deck plus half of the upper deck was the best compromise.
Old May 29, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Based on the fact that BA has at least 40 J seats (and F on some routes out of LGW) compared to Virgin's 14 seats in J.
A difference in the number of seats in J is not "underperforming", it is simply a reduced capacity in J class compared to BA. Presumably this is a result of several factors, including aircraft, class configuration etc.
Old May 29, 2012, 4:55 am
Ambassador

A difference in the number of seats in J is not "underperforming", it is simply a reduced capacity in J class compared to BA. Presumably this is a result of several factors, including aircraft, class configuration etc.
I'd say it's a a pretty good indicator of underperformance in the J/F market to the Carribbean/Orlando/Vegas (unless BA has an overwhelming majority of redemptions).
Old May 29, 2012, 5:39 am

I'd say it's a a pretty good indicator of underperformance in the J/F market to the Carribbean/Orlando/Vegas (unless BA has an overwhelming majority of redemptions).
It's a different business model and strategy and, for obvious reasons, VS cannot "underperform" in the F market. I take your point, disagree and leave it at that!
Old May 30, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Well done, VS! ^

Let's hope all the toilets get a refresh/refurb as well.
Old May 31, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
It's a different business model and strategy and, for obvious reasons, VS cannot "underperform" in the F market. I take your point, disagree and leave it at that!
It could be said that with only 14 UC seats on these aircraft, this enables VS to sell a greater percentage of them for a higher fare than the 40+ BA has. It also means redemptions in that cabin are very difficult.

Remember that the majority of VS' routes out of LGW are 'holiday' routes and therefore demand for Economy is going to be strongest.

Also VS will get much of its feed from tour operators (inc Virgin Hols), and it could be argued that VS' main competition out of LGW/MAN/GLA are the charter companies rather than BA. Therefore VS can sell its Econ and PE as a step up above the charters who don't even have Business Class. I believe PE is a real cash cow for VS.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:53 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
It could be said that with only 14 UC seats on these aircraft, this enables VS to sell a greater percentage of them for a higher fare than the 40+ BA has. It also means redemptions in that cabin are very difficult.
VS can be more expensive on these routes but the fares are often similar to BA. Admittedly, if one airline is more expensive it's more likely to be Virgin.
Old May 31, 2012, 3:19 pm

I would only use the term 'underperform' if VS had set out initially to sell a 'full' J cabin and then had to readjust the config because it found it impossible to sell the tickets. I don't think that's what happened? So presumably it is just a different revenue model. Would be interesting to know the truth about who makes more (or loses less!) money on these routes....
Old May 31, 2012, 3:34 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by at240
I would only use the term 'underperform' if VS had set out initially to sell a 'full' J cabin and then had to readjust the config because it found it impossible to sell the tickets. I don't think that's what happened? So presumably it is just a different revenue model. Would be interesting to know the truth about who makes more (or loses less!) money on these routes....
Presumably the current choice of a small J cabin is the most profitable for VS (especially now they've just had the opportunity to adjust it) but I equate more J with being better.

I don't like that BA is able to make a larger J cabin work when VS feels that it won't.

The only route that I know of where you can directly compare BA and VS in passenger numbers is LON-LAS because the CAA gives the figures by route so you can compare LHR-LAS (BA) to LGW-LAS (VS). This year BA have more passengers than VS despite using an aircraft with fewer seats and 52 J seats to Virgin's 14.

I know loads are not necessarily correlated with profit but...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.