Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 28, 12, 9:40 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ireland
Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Posts: 4,043
First refurbished Gatwick 747 flies today

G-VROM (Barbarella) has had it's refurb completed and re-enters service today. VS have uploaded video and it looks like one hell of an improvement over the current state of the Gatwick fleet, especially in Y and Y+

http://youtu.be/k1sfeX99_rc
__________________
"Haven't you heard? I'm not allowed in the first class cabin".
colmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 12, 10:26 am   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ireland
Programs: British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Posts: 13
Y cabin looks really nice, a huge improvement, well done VS.
Really looking forward to experiencing the updated LGW B747 fleet very soon.
Kinane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 12, 11:47 am   #3
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Posts: 1,126
Agreed, it looks very stylish, with one of the best IFE's in the sky, and new PE food service to come to add to the recent improvements to UC and Y. VS is on a roll!
slinky09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 12, 12:27 pm   #4
Ambassador, Africa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 1,755
I'm not sure they've made the right decision about splitting the UD between Y and PE and there's still such an emphasis on Y. VS seems to underperform on these routes relative to BA in J/F (unless BA has a lot of redemptions).

Nevertheless, it's a very good Y/PE product now.
BA304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 2:00 am   #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: BA Gold (GGL), CX Diamond+, VS Gold, SPG Gold, AmEx Cent
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA304 View Post
I'm not sure they've made the right decision about splitting the UD between Y and PE and there's still such an emphasis on Y. VS seems to underperform on these routes relative to BA in J/F (unless BA has a lot of redemptions).

Nevertheless, it's a very good Y/PE product now.
Based on what information? A very good product offering by VS and (imo) VS now has a better Y and W class comapred to BA (combined with better lounge and check in facilities). I have always preferred VS J class, but I know this is a matter of taste/preference. I agree that VS is on a roll! Well done. Now I need to persuade a travel department to allow me to once again fly VS J as opposed to BA F!!!
EGW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 2:16 am   #6
Ambassador, Africa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGW1 View Post
Based on what information? A very good product offering by VS and (imo) VS now has a better Y and W class comapred to BA (combined with better lounge and check in facilities). I have always preferred VS J class, but I know this is a matter of taste/preference. I agree that VS is on a roll! Well done. Now I need to persuade a travel department to allow me to once again fly VS J as opposed to BA F!!!
Based on the fact that BA has at least 40 J seats (and F on some routes out of LGW) compared to Virgin's 14 seats in J.
BA304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 2:17 am   #7
 
Join Date: May 2006
Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Posts: 1,126
I agree and don't like the split upper deck, and why put Y behind PE there? However I understand that VS know how many PE seats it can sell (and frequently does fill) and that the space between the doors on the main deck plus half of the upper deck was the best compromise.
slinky09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 4:23 am   #8
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: BA Gold (GGL), CX Diamond+, VS Gold, SPG Gold, AmEx Cent
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA304 View Post
Based on the fact that BA has at least 40 J seats (and F on some routes out of LGW) compared to Virgin's 14 seats in J.
A difference in the number of seats in J is not "underperforming", it is simply a reduced capacity in J class compared to BA. Presumably this is a result of several factors, including aircraft, class configuration etc.
EGW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 4:55 am   #9
Ambassador, Africa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGW1 View Post
A difference in the number of seats in J is not "underperforming", it is simply a reduced capacity in J class compared to BA. Presumably this is a result of several factors, including aircraft, class configuration etc.
I'd say it's a a pretty good indicator of underperformance in the J/F market to the Carribbean/Orlando/Vegas (unless BA has an overwhelming majority of redemptions).
BA304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 12, 5:39 am   #10
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: BA Gold (GGL), CX Diamond+, VS Gold, SPG Gold, AmEx Cent
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA304 View Post
I'd say it's a a pretty good indicator of underperformance in the J/F market to the Carribbean/Orlando/Vegas (unless BA has an overwhelming majority of redemptions).
It's a different business model and strategy and, for obvious reasons, VS cannot "underperform" in the F market. I take your point, disagree and leave it at that!
EGW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 12, 10:52 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Enough to travel better
Posts: 1,996
Well done, VS!

Let's hope all the toilets get a refresh/refurb as well.
tonywestsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 12, 4:51 am   #12
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, BA Exec Club Blue, HHonours
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGW1 View Post
It's a different business model and strategy and, for obvious reasons, VS cannot "underperform" in the F market. I take your point, disagree and leave it at that!
It could be said that with only 14 UC seats on these aircraft, this enables VS to sell a greater percentage of them for a higher fare than the 40+ BA has. It also means redemptions in that cabin are very difficult.

Remember that the majority of VS' routes out of LGW are 'holiday' routes and therefore demand for Economy is going to be strongest.

Also VS will get much of its feed from tour operators (inc Virgin Hols), and it could be argued that VS' main competition out of LGW/MAN/GLA are the charter companies rather than BA. Therefore VS can sell its Econ and PE as a step up above the charters who don't even have Business Class. I believe PE is a real cash cow for VS.
clarkeysntfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 12, 12:53 pm   #13
Ambassador, Africa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc View Post
It could be said that with only 14 UC seats on these aircraft, this enables VS to sell a greater percentage of them for a higher fare than the 40+ BA has. It also means redemptions in that cabin are very difficult.
VS can be more expensive on these routes but the fares are often similar to BA. Admittedly, if one airline is more expensive it's more likely to be Virgin.
BA304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 12, 3:19 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 604
I would only use the term 'underperform' if VS had set out initially to sell a 'full' J cabin and then had to readjust the config because it found it impossible to sell the tickets. I don't think that's what happened? So presumably it is just a different revenue model. Would be interesting to know the truth about who makes more (or loses less!) money on these routes....
at240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 12, 3:34 pm   #15
Ambassador, Africa
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by at240 View Post
I would only use the term 'underperform' if VS had set out initially to sell a 'full' J cabin and then had to readjust the config because it found it impossible to sell the tickets. I don't think that's what happened? So presumably it is just a different revenue model. Would be interesting to know the truth about who makes more (or loses less!) money on these routes....
Presumably the current choice of a small J cabin is the most profitable for VS (especially now they've just had the opportunity to adjust it) but I equate more J with being better.

I don't like that BA is able to make a larger J cabin work when VS feels that it won't.

The only route that I know of where you can directly compare BA and VS in passenger numbers is LON-LAS because the CAA gives the figures by route so you can compare LHR-LAS (BA) to LGW-LAS (VS). This year BA have more passengers than VS despite using an aircraft with fewer seats and 52 J seats to Virgin's 14.

I know loads are not necessarily correlated with profit but...
BA304 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:48 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.