Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin trains - time to post miles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Virgin trains - time to post miles?

Anyone know how long Virgin trains take to post? I finally managed to get a trip where I could earn a dribble of miles!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Last time I travelled on virgin trains the miles were posted the day of travel - or posted with that date but actually posted a few days later

Anyway it was pretty quick from what I rememeber
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
They post within a couple of days of travel if you buy advance tickets. If any ticket in your transaction is a walk-up ticket it posts around 60 days afterwards, to ensure that you don't go and request a refund.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:10 am

Same here, posted within a couple of days (always travel at a weekend)

buns
Old Feb 5, 2012, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Hmmmm - travelled last weekend on advance tickets.

No sign of anything. Just as well i made the ticket barrier guy give me back my tickets as he was intent on keeping them...

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll give it another week or so before I start a missing miles request (having jumped through hoops to make the trip eligible.... I want those miles! )
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:46 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Hmmmm - travelled last weekend on advance tickets.

No sign of anything. Just as well i made the ticket barrier guy give me back my tickets as he was intent on keeping them...

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll give it another week or so before I start a missing miles request (having jumped through hoops to make the trip eligible.... I want those miles! )
How many miles is it?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:19 am
Original Poster

I actually don't know the tickets were about Ł80 so I think it's about 80.

Given the time I put into doing it though - you can only earn VS miles on a purely VS itinerary and I had connections to book separately as a result - its a bit of a point of principle - and also extends the life of my miles too.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I actually don't know the tickets were about Ł80 so I think it's about 80.

Given the time I put into doing it though - you can only earn VS miles on a purely VS itinerary and I had connections to book separately as a result - its a bit of a point of principle - and also extends the life of my miles too.
It's 2 miles per Ł1

From the VS website (my underlining)

"Advance tickets are non refundable and require you to travel on a set date and time. Miles will be allocated up to 5 days after the day of travel.

Anytime, Off Peak, Super Off Peak and Virgin Business tickets allow more flexibility about the date or time that you travel. Your miles will be allocated up to 65 days after the outward date of travel.

Retrospective mile claims must be made within 90 days of the outboound journey."
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:27 am
Original Poster

160 miles Twice as much as I expected!

One ticket was an Off Peak though... the other was advance.

I wonder how they can actually tell you travelled? Most of the time, my conductor simply scribbled on the ticket so it wasn't automatically recorded...
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:43 am
Ambassador

160 miles Twice as much as I expected
That'll get you to the end of the runway.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I wonder how they can actually tell you travelled? Most of the time, my conductor simply scribbled on the ticket so it wasn't automatically recorded...
Advance tickets aren't refundable so they don't especially care whether you travelled or not. Off-peak tickets can be refunded up to 58 days after the date on the ticket.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I've just received my miles from mid Nov. They've appeared quicker than this before, and they were an advance ticket.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: VS, LH
I travelled from Liverpool to Euston last week and the miles were credited to my account the following day.

Originally Posted by BA304
That'll get you to the end of the runway.
I doubt it would even get you to the check in desk.

Our friend over the pond must laugh at us lot collecting these pathetic amount of miles (although I get obsessed even with the possibility of collecting 10 miles). I wish I could get 60k miles for just using a credit card.

Last edited by Jenbel; Feb 19, 2012 at 12:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Only 1 mile per Ł1. But 71 miles have now posted - I feel vindicated
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:42 pm

Anyone know how long Virgin trains take to post? I finally managed to get a trip where I could earn a dribble of miles!
Mine took about 4 weeks..

To earn the miles..you have to travel with Virgin Train throughout your whole journey..If there is any connecting trains with other train operators during your journey they will not give you any miles..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.