Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New partner for FC - Tesco

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Thumbs up New partner for FC - Tesco

I've just heard a rumour that Virgin Flying Club has reached agreement with Tesco, which will enable Tesco Clubcard points to be converted into Flying Club miles. And from what I’ve heard, the conversion rate will be pretty generous too – more generous than that of the current BA relationship which is currently 2:1. Sorry I don’t have a link to this (yet) – it’s hot off the press!

Given how valuable Tesco can be as a source of BA miles, this is great news for FC collectors (and puts those of us who like flying with both airlines in a dilemma).
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:20 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Thanks for the heads up Jenbel ^^

This link has been posted on V-Flyer

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...coclubcard.jsp

Edit - Currently held Clubcard vouchers can be exchanged at a rate of 625 FC points for a £2.50 voucher (or 25,000 points for £100 worth) unless I am missing something.

Nick

Last edited by Nottingham Nick; Dec 5, 2011 at 6:34 am Reason: add a para
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:40 am
Original Poster

good find Nick - that makes it all a bit less like gossip.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:59 am
Original Poster

And for those that don't know, there is a long-running thread on maximisation of Tesco CC points on the BA forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...er-thread.html

This is pretty good at picking up on offers which can be used to maximise CC accumulation.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: VS, LH
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
Thanks for the heads up Jenbel ^^

This link has been posted on V-Flyer

Edit - Currently held Clubcard vouchers can be exchanged at a rate of 625 FC points for a £2.50 voucher (or 25,000 points for £100 worth) unless I am missing something.

Nick
Hmm, I need to quickly re-think what i'm doing. I told my wife she can use the £115 Tesco vouchers for Christmas shopping. Not any more!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:47 am

I have tried to 'opt in' on the Tesco Clubcard website, but it doesn't ask for the FC number.

EDIT: Just spoken to someone at Tesco Clubcard, they are experienceing difficulties with the VS reward section on their website. It should be working within the next 24 hours. If you get a screen that says 'Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members', but the screen is blank, then it's still not working. This is the screen to type in your Flying Club number. If you don't put the flying club number in, but confirm the order, your voucher will be lost.

Last edited by Andy1234; Dec 5, 2011 at 9:01 am
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I think the existing vouchers you'll need to transfer over manually anyway, but I could be wrong.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I think the existing vouchers you'll need to transfer over manually anyway, but I could be wrong.
You do, but you can 'opt-in' online when you convert them to FC points. It should be quite simple, when it works.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:18 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
This really does sound like another IT snafu, but if you are a regular VS flier, you will be used to them.

There is a freephone number to ring amongst all the bumf we had from Tesco Clubcard; and a very helpful agent sorted it all out for us very quickly and painlessly,

Nick
Old Dec 5, 2011, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1234
Hmm, I need to quickly re-think what i'm doing. I told my wife she can use the £115 Tesco vouchers for Christmas shopping. Not any more!
No, never!! Quite the most poor use of Tesco vouchers. Stop her now; rugby tackle her on her way to the check out; do everything you can to stop this! I'm having nightmares; please report her arrest!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: BA - Blue
There is an offer for Tescos auto opt in however it is usually best, with BA Exec Club at least, to hold Clubcard vouchers in case there is a special promotion to encourage you to convert the vouchers.

EARN 1,000 BONUS MILES

Choose Auto Opt in between 5 December 2011 and 29 February 2012 and earn 1,000 bonus Flying Club miles.

Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: bmi ba virgin
This is fantastic as earning Virgin Miles is much harder than BA (Avios) or BMI miles (prob going to become Avios anyway). The only point to consider is the generous conversion rate of a £2.50 voucher for 1000 avios points during February 2012. I'm going to convert all my vouchers in Feb, giving me a good stock of Avios, and then use Tesco to build up the Virgin miles!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Originally Posted by aporwol
This is fantastic as earning Virgin Miles is much harder than BA (Avios) or BMI miles (prob going to become Avios anyway). The only point to consider is the generous conversion rate of a £2.50 voucher for 1000 avios points during February 2012. I'm going to convert all my vouchers in Feb, giving me a good stock of Avios, and then use Tesco to build up the Virgin miles!
Not sure I agree with the (non flying) miles being harder to earn than BA miles? For example, both fee free Amex cards give 1 mile per £1, but the VS black gives 2 miles per £1 v BA Premium Amex at 1.5 miles per £1. (and both double the miles for spending on flights). And you only get 500 miles per Hilton hotel stay with BA whereas you get 1000 with VS.

Where BA comes into its own is the useful 241 voucher, as opposed to VS largely useless companion voucher.

VS wins on the ability to upgrade more than one cabin if you wish to.

Looks like this might turn into the busiest thread we've seen in the VS forum in a while
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by RedVee
Not sure I agree with the (non flying) miles being harder to earn than BA miles? For example, both fee free Amex cards give 1 mile per £1, but the VS black gives 2 miles per £1 v BA Premium Amex at 1.5 miles per £1. (and both double the miles for spending on flights). And you only get 500 miles per Hilton hotel stay with BA whereas you get 1000 with VS.

Where BA comes into its own is the useful 241 voucher, as opposed to VS largely useless companion voucher.

VS wins on the ability to upgrade more than one cabin if you wish to.

Looks like this might turn into the busiest thread we've seen in the VS forum in a while
I don't know if non flying miles are easier to earn with BA, but I have managed to earn 50,000 miles without flying in 6 months with VS. That's only spending money on things I usually buy too.

If I gave my wife my credit card, I would probably have over 1 million miles by now (and I would also be bankrupt)
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA,AA
Newbie question

I currently have 60,000 amex partner reward points which i was going to tfer to BA.

I also have a BA First flight booked to LAS that cost me 75,000 miles.

I see i can get the virgin upper flight for 50,000 FC miles

Should i cancel the BA flight, transfer the amex points to FC and book the Upper Flight

Or am i missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.