FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club-506/)
-   -   What is Z class ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-atlantic-airways-flying-club/121972-what-z-class.html)

Frequentflyer99 Jul 24, 2003 8:10 am

What is Z class ?

Can anyone explain what Z class is.

Is it equivalent to BA I class or something else ?

All the rock bottom Upper Class fares I have travelled on (generally IT fares including basic accomodation) have been D class. Is Z even cheaper and, if so, how does one book it ?

Nottingham Nick Jul 24, 2003 8:16 am

Quoting from information supplied by RM -

Z – Heavily Discounted Upper Class Fares
FC Miles earned but no Limo transfers
Advance purchase required
Change fees apply

I have no idea how often it is available or how to go about booking it though.

Hope this helps.

Nick

preiffer Jul 24, 2003 8:35 am

Yes, it's the equivalent to BA's I class fare. It can be booked through travelocity, expedia, all the normal onliners and of course Virgin themselves. (By phone, however, - ASK for a Z-class fare, rather than the "cheapest" which is usually issued in D)

I think it's a 42 day advance purchase. The ticket is completely and utterly non-changeable and you're unable to cancel it without losing all of your money.

If, however, your travel plans are fixed, it's a very good deal - Upper Class to San Francisco for less than £2k...

Frequentflyer99 Jul 24, 2003 8:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by preiffer:
Yes, it's the equivalent to BA's I class fare. It can be booked through travelocity, expedia, all the normal onliners and of course Virgin themselves. (By phone, however, - ASK for a Z-class fare, rather than the "cheapest" which is usually issued in D)

I think it's a 42 day advance purchase. The ticket is completely and utterly non-changeable and you're unable to cancel it without losing all of your money.

If, however, your travel plans are fixed, it's a very good deal - Upper Class to San Francisco for less than £2k...
</font>

Based on trips to HK I have always found that an Inclusive Tour D class is the cheapest (even if the accomodation is not used) and the tickets are generally relatively flexible (say £250 cancellation and £100 to change return date after departure).

justforfun Jul 24, 2003 11:54 am

You guys across the pond are much luckier than we are. Ex-US, there are no Z class fares offered (as far as I know). Currently, I can't even find a D fare, only full J at $7700 USD. But hope that I fares will reappear for holiday travel. $1400 for UC JFK-LHR return was a steal last year, but with no miles earned.

UK Flyer 1 Jul 24, 2003 12:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by justforfun:
You guys across the pond are much luckier than we are. Ex-US, there are no Z class fares offered (as far as I know). Currently, I can't even find a D fare, only full J at $7700 USD. But hope that I fares will reappear for holiday travel. $1400 for UC JFK-LHR return was a steal last year, but with no miles earned. </font>
Surely you would achieve a more sensible price if offered by a point broker. Also, for what its worth, z class on BA tickets are first class reward tickets - I assumed that VS would be the same but following these posts that does not seem to be the case. Curious . . .

AAlton Jul 24, 2003 6:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by justforfun:
You guys across the pond are much luckier than we are. Ex-US, there are no Z class fares offered (as far as I know). Currently, I can't even find a D fare, only full J at $7700 USD. But hope that I fares will reappear for holiday travel. $1400 for UC JFK-LHR return was a steal last year, but with no miles earned. </font>
No miles? Had you flown on a Continental codeshare ticket, it would have been the same price and you would have earned Continental miles. It was only 10,000 miles or so and no Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge (Continental ticket holders on Virgin Atlantic flights make use of the Air Canada Arrivals Lounge instead).

[This message has been edited by AAlton (edited 07-24-2003).]

justforfun Jul 25, 2003 8:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAlton:
No miles? Had you flown on a Continental codeshare ticket, it would have been the same price and you would have earned Continental miles. It was only 10,000 miles or so and no Virgin Atlantic Revivals Lounge (Continental ticket holders on Virgin Atlantic flights make use of the Air Canada Arrivals Lounge instead).

</font>
Now that makes me upset. Last year I wasn't an enlightened FT'er and didn't check around. My loyalty to VS blinded me. Thanks for the heads up.

slawecki Jul 27, 2003 9:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAlton:

</font>
Last Dec-Jan, I flew CO Z class IAD-LHR-IAD on VS. Got lounges on both ends, UC J class tickets, no limo, & CO miles for $12-1500.(forgot which, as we took 3 such trips in Dec-Feb). I could not get those prices on the CO site, but could from ITN.net.

I think the deal has changed, as the VS-CO codeshare agreement is radically changed, according to the CO forum. No more hard shared seats.

AAlton Jul 29, 2003 8:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:
Last Dec-Jan, I flew CO Z class IAD-LHR-IAD on VS. Got lounges on both ends, UC J class tickets, no limo, & CO miles for $12-1500.(forgot which, as we took 3 such trips in Dec-Feb). I could not get those prices on the CO site, but could from ITN.net.

I think the deal has changed, as the VS-CO codeshare agreement is radically changed, according to the CO forum. No more hard shared seats.

</font>
If I remember correctly, the exact price with taxes was $1,338.38 with a base fare of $1,216.00.

From what I understand, the new codeshare arrangement opens up seats but also means that only Standard rewards are redeemable on Virgin-Atlantic with Continental OnePass miles.

swaghmar Oct 12, 2003 8:01 pm

Just spoke to a VS rep and he said Z Class seats were mainly for LHR to US segments. He did however see Z Class from JFK to LHR but said he could not price it and I would have to use a Travel Agency.

Travelocity & Expedia tools do not have Z Class prices so how does one know what the price is like and anyone recommend any travel agency that can offer that ?

Regards

S

stngfn Oct 12, 2003 10:49 pm

Maybe I am ITN challenged, but I can't seem to get anything less than $6k NYC-LON in UC. Is there a way to search just for the Z Fare?

Boo Boo Oct 13, 2003 3:16 am

Another way to find Z fares is to look at sites like www.travelselect.com and http://www.airnet.co.uk/ (second site is for flights of UK origin only).

These tend to be where I buy Z fares from (normally available for about £2100 - or $3500 a person). But I orginate from the UK, so that may make a difference.

The other place to look is adverts in the travel sections of your big newspapers - they tend to list flight consolidators who have access to good Z fares...

Boo

RichardMannion Oct 13, 2003 8:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swaghmar:

Travelocity & Expedia tools do not have Z Class prices so how does one know what the price is like and anyone recommend any travel agency that can offer that ?

Regards

S
</font>
Expedia certainly does have Z class fares, I just checked for a trip next year, LHR-MIA and returning LAX-LHR, just over £2100 for Z Class.

The fare class is hidden, you have to click on Select Flights and then choose Rules and Restrictions, you will see the fare class there. However this will not show if you are selecting an 'Expedia Special Fare'.

Aleternatively phone Virgin direct and ask for the Z Class price.

Thanks,
Richard

RichardMannion Oct 13, 2003 3:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swaghmar:
Just spoke to a VS rep and he said Z Class seats were mainly for LHR to US segments. He did however see Z Class from JFK to LHR but said he could not price it and I would have to use a Travel Agency.

Regards

S
</font>
Which route were you looking for in regards to Z fares? If its Delhi forget it, try getting a flight in any class on that route for the next 2 weeks - all sold out.

The website is appalling to for some routes like Delhi, you choose Upper Class and it won't let you choose fully flexible or non-flexible like the US routes. So what does it display, a D class fare that entitles you to the Limos but is not very flexible at all. Great - keep up the work with the website there. Must speak to them soon about this annoying 'feature' and its still not showing the fare basis online like they promised me it would. Oh well, one of the main reasons why I have never booked a flight on-line directly at Virgin, even with their offer of £10 off. I'd rather be safe knowing I'm going to be earning miles or getting my limos.

Thanks,
Richard